Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dear Esther

Old 02-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
brisck1

thechineseroom
Post PC/Windows Official Bug Thread!

Hi Everyone!

I thought i'd start this sticky thread as an official place for you to report any bugs, glitches, or other problems you had whilst playing Dear Esther so that I can keep track of them and try to help out where I can!

Wherever possible please post Screenshots as it would help me immensely, as well as your system specs and the what setting you're playing the game with.

Lets keep this thread as clean as possible and only post about bugs, otherwise it will make it a lot harder for me to address them.

For those of you experiencing crashes or glitches, please don't forget to post your PC specs as it would help us greatly.

I apologise for anyone having trouble running the game, please be patient with us, there's only two of us working with limited resources right now and I'll keep you informed as to any progress we make.

Known issues:

• Title font has changed to arial/looks ugly - We've noticed that the font for the menu titles mysteriously broke/changed for some people in the last update. It should be in Palatino Linotype, but for some reason it's not. We're looking into the issue right now, if you're experiencing this issue you should post in this thread with your system specs/os/etc

• Blank Screen on Start-up or "Out of Range" message on monitor - This is cause by a rare instance of Source not initially detecting the correct resolution or refresh rate of your monitor.
• Quick workaround:
Right-click the game on Steam, go to properties>Set Launch Options and put the following in the box: -windowed This will force it to run the game in windowed mode, where you can then set the correct screen resolution. After this is done you can remove the -windowed launch parameter.

• View rotating/unusual movement - This is a rare bug usually caused when having a controller plugged in whilst playing with the keyboard and mouse which can cause the view to spin around or continue to move without any keyboard or mouse interaction.
• Quick workaround:
A quick fix for this is to simply unplug the controller or go into options>controller and disable the controller from there

IMPORTANT NOTES:
• We can not currently support pre-sandybridge Intel integrated video chipsets.If you have such a chipset, buy the game at your own risk.
Thanks
-Rob

Last edited by brisck1: 05-21-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
brisck1

thechineseroom
I'll Start!

So there currently seems to be some issues with Anti-virus apps reporting false positives with some of DE's files. Just to assure you both us and Valve thoroughly check our files for viruses before any release, so do not worry!

However if you could let us know which AV apps are reporting the false positives then we'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
brisck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Irongiant666

Haven't experienced this myself, but have seen the following bug mentioned here and on another forum:

"You can cause the game to crash by going into the controller settings, moving to "Look type" and pushing right to change to the next setting. Crashes every single time."
Irongiant666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
Hangar34

Apologies if you know about this one already...

There is a piece of dialogue either during or at the end of the beach that has the Golden Ratio/Spiral image just along from the lighthouse where if I remember correctly the audio dialogue uses the word 'banal', but the subtitled text reads "...mundane...".
Hangar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
Mangled*

A crash occurs when you switch all the settings from all Low to all High whilst the game is inprogress but paused (not via the main menu).

There's also a slight (very minor) graphical hiccup when unpausing the game after having the Steam Overlay active. It lasts only a portion of a second though.
Mangled* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
rabuf

I don't know if this qualifies for a bug, but i'm experiencing an unusual amount of rapidly increasing heat on my hardware when attempting to launch and play this game.

Especially my graphic card's fan seems to go totally ape as soon as the game launches, and it doesn't even take five minutes ingame untill i get 80+ temps in CCC's monitor. Which is really weird, because my card doesn't even get nearly that hot when playing BF3 on middle settings for example.

Note that it's not about the performance itself, the game seems to run really smoothly with no lag at all. It's just the hardware temperature which seems weird to me.

My main specs are;

AMD Phenom II X4 945
4GB RAM
HD5770
Win7 x64

According to available dev information, these specs are more than able to run it, which leaves me wondering about this even more.

Maybe there's a chance i'm not the only one experiencing this. Any advice regarding this??

*Edit; Issues were caused by the V-synch option. As soon as i set it to tripple-buffering everything went back to normal.

Last edited by rabuf: 02-17-2012 at 06:33 PM.
rabuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Andrea_23

Oh, i have overlooked this thread ^^. This is a copy/paste from my original post:

Quote:
Hi guys,
take a look at the reflections of the island on the sea.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/6...2021722514.jpg

I mean, they seem to me excessively poor... Overall i think Dear Esther is an art piece, but this area in particular seems to have some trouble : (.
Andrea_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
brisck1

thechineseroom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea_23 View Post
Oh, i have overlooked this thread ^^. This is a copy/paste from my original post:
This isn't a bug, the reflection in the last level has a simplified model for performance reasons. It shouldn't be noticeable most of the time.

Thanks
-Rob

Old 02-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
Andrea_23

Ok, i understand. Thanks for the hyper-fast response ^^.

I take this opportunity to thank you and your colleagues, in general. This is the type of experience that i've looked for years :°).
Old 02-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
Mangled*

It is possible to get stuck at 4303.80 -2252.76 292.81 on map 4 between two rocks and a wooden post after dropping down the rockface.

Screen: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/48...8B24A5A3A8908/
Mangled* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
Andrea_23

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisck1 View Post
This isn't a bug, the reflection in the last level has a simplified model for performance reasons. It shouldn't be noticeable most of the time.

Thanks
-Rob
UPDATE: Wow, this is unexpected : 0.
I have reloaded the quicksave and...

Check this:

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/4...2021800093.jpg
Old 02-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
GlaDOSik

Ok, I have got 3 graphic glitches in the last episode.

Pentium 4 - 3.2 GHz
2 GB Ram
Ati Radeon X1650 - 256 MB

I know, my computer is old but the game runs on the highest settings with great framerate.

1. Bad water effect
On each water pool in last chapter is this bad looking water effect. I think, it shouldn't look like this.

http://i39.tinypic.com/ogmm52.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/o8hypt.jpg

2. Fog with sharp edges

It's the fog near the beacon. But it looks like wall with sharp edges.

http://i40.tinypic.com/11s2l28.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/177eq0.jpg

3. Glowing stairs

Stairs near the beacon. It looks really weird.

http://i44.tinypic.com/j11po1.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/24l6bnm.jpg
GlaDOSik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #13
Humma Kavula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangled* View Post
A crash occurs when you switch all the settings from all Low to all High whilst the game is inprogress but paused (not via the main menu).
The game only crashes if i change shader details.
Humma Kavula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:12 AM   #14
Noollab

It was recommended I posted my issue here:

I'm having some issues running the game.
After the first two introduction screens (the last one being for littlelostpoly.co.uk), I crash to the desktop without any error message whatsoever.

My system specs are as follows:
Windows 7 64bit,
Intel core i7 quadcore processor at ~2.9Ghz
8GB of RAM
Nvidia GTX 570 graphics card
Noollab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
mglimited

Loadscreen freeze

At the initial loadscreen, it loads (the white dots fill) and then it sits and does nothing. No sound, no visual, but I know the game didnt freeze because shift-tab still works.
mglimited is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dear Esther