Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam

Old 02-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
jeffybox

Installing windows games on mac

i bought fallout 3 a little while ago, and it installed the game files, but then i uninstalled steam and then reinstalled it, when i went to install fallout 3, it says its unavailable for my platform, i know i cant play it on my mac, i just want fallout 3 files on my computer.

How can i get the fallout 3 files?
Old 02-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
apdonato

If you have vmware, parallels, bootcamp, or another windows computer with a flash drive it can be done. Otherwise, nope.

Are you trying to make a cider/wine port? Because it wouldn't be a good idea to port a steam game. I tried getting the mass effect 2 demo to run on my mac but the only thing that prevented the game from working was the drm measure that required steam on windows to be running. I suppose you could do a cider/wine port of steam so that you could launch the steam games you ported from windows but that would be too much work!

Last edited by apdonato: 02-18-2012 at 04:27 PM.
apdonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
jeffybox

crossover games

I'm using crossover games, when i try and download steam on crossover games it wont open, how do i launch steam through crossover games?
jeffybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
apdonato

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffybox View Post
I'm using crossover games, when i try and download steam on crossover games it wont open, how do i launch steam through crossover games?
You might not be able to... Like I said, porting steam games isn't a good idea.

I have seen a working wine port of steam so you could try that.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
jeffybox

I ordered the disk version of fallout 3, will crossover games be able to install it to my mac? or will it need to be installed through steam from the disk?
jeffybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
thom-22

I thought Crossover supported use of the Steam client for certain games? If you're a registered user, then shouldn't you be able to get help from Crossover support or forums? I think you'll get better answers that way.
thom-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
apdonato

Quote:
I ordered the disk version of fallout 3, will crossover games be able to install it to my mac? or will it need to be installed through steam from the disk?
The disk version probably uses steam...
Old 02-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
andreadandrea

Quote:
i bought fallout 3 a little while ago, and it installed the game files, but then i uninstalled steam and then reinstalled it, when i went to install fallout 3, it says its unavailable for my platform, i know i cant play it on my mac, i just want fallout 3 files on my computer.

How can i get the fallout 3 files?
Lately I bought the Be Mine Bundle and it happens that the mac client automatically started downloading the only Windows games of the bundle.
Don't know why.
andreadandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
xMr.Orangex

I think all the bethesda games are steam powered from the start for discs versions. You'll have to break the installation to install the game without it. Or better yet, find a better windows crossover software. Wineskin nor Cider will not work if it's steam installed.
xMr.Orangex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:25 AM   #10
dpgirl

In Wineskin you can use the built in Winetricks to install Steam, and several Steam games run fine... same goes for Crossover.

Disable all the community settings and pop ups though, as many of those pop ups or notifications can crash Steam running this way.
dpgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam