Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alan Wake

Old 02-19-2012, 03:30 AM   #16
targetbsp

Errmm... I dunno about any of the others, but if they are the correct matching, the ATI 48 series annihilated the nvidia 98 series.
Whatever was the 48's competitor, it was the winning card because that was the point where gamers started switching to ATI.

Last edited by targetbsp: 02-19-2012 at 03:32 AM.
targetbsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:53 AM   #17
cyborg34573

Quote:
Originally Posted by yapchagi View Post
I completely agreed with Earthworm James. nVIDIA GPUs have always won the crown if u compare the cards same-generation wise.

Not sure if these are the right models, but here we go:
8800 GTX vs 3870
9800 GTX vs 4870
GTX 285 vs 5870
GTX 480/580 vs 6970
...and now GTX 680 vs 7970.

I think nVIDIA has always won there...But did nVIDIA win the crown with GeForce 6800 Ultra? Not sure what it was up against from the red team, Radeon X1850XTX super duper XTX XXTTXX?
I have to agree with this, im not a Hammer Legion Member of either brands, i own AMD and Nvidia cards, but the fact is Nvidia has been ahead for awhile now in the GPU battle.

But who really cares which has more powerful cards, as long as it runs my games thats all that matters. Its just really saddening me abit to see the pc community reduced to hardware elitists, we are focusing more on the hardware we got than the games really, having jarateing contests online , whos got the better rig, posting benchmark results and pics etc, none of that matters if you are a true gamer, its the games that are important, playing them, enjoying them, isnt that why they exist in the first place.

I actually envy console players abit, because they just play games and have fun with them, pc elitists can bash them allday long for the hardware they got but whos really winning there, them who are playing their games ,enjoying them, not giving a **** about what people say or pc elitists who spend too much time bragging about their rig , making it look all good and shiny, completely forgetting how to enjoy games.
cyborg34573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #18
Vnix

I would like to make a little correction folks if you allow me. Nvidia is skipping 6xx series. Kepler will have 7xx stamped on it, due to marketing reasons. ( 780 / 7970 got it?)

@cyborg34573, It doesn't matter if it is PC or Console, bragging will always be here. Don't you remember how them console fans were bragging that they have better hardware than high-end PCs, which lasted them for a month until new steel came out and console became obsolete in comparison right in that moment ?

As***les will be as***les, we can't erase them, we can't change them.
Vnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #19
SyphonX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATM743 View Post
i smell a troll. i love to hear your stance on performance in 2 months (once Kepler is out) yes the 7970 that's out now is faster than the 580 but the 580 has been out for over a year. the 680 is said to be 40% or more faster than the 7970
I'm sorry?

How am I being a troll? The performance increase to me, is not -that- important. Both series are going to be fast enough if you're going top-tier with 680 or 79xx series.

What's important to me, and has been jarateing me off for a while now, is that I'm always waiting on Nvidia to post their profiles or new drivers (SLI especially), and it's starting to get annoying. Sometimes it's weeks after the fact, or sometimes not at all.

AMD had a Crossfire ready profile on Day 1 for Alan Wake, so this is telling me I should probably start paying attention to AMD from now on.
SyphonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #20
cyborg34573

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyphonX View Post
I'm sorry?

How am I being a troll? The performance increase to me, is not -that- important. Both series are going to be fast enough if you're going top-tier with 680 or 79xx series.

What's important to me, and has been jarateing me off for a while now, is that I'm always waiting on Nvidia to post their profiles or new drivers (SLI especially), and it's starting to get annoying. Sometimes it's weeks after the fact, or sometimes not at all.

AMD had a Crossfire ready profile on Day 1 for Alan Wake, so this is telling me I should probably start paying attention to AMD from now on.
AMD was just extra quick with Alan wake , but with other games they dont fix them till a month after or something. Rage for example is one, that game did not work at properly at all for AMD hardware on release , AMD released so many drivers to fix the thing but it just broke it even more and more it was getting really frustrating, didnt get fixed till months after. Same with Saints Row the third which again didnt work properly day one for AMD cards , most AMD users wer having insane performance issues. But yeah its the same for alot of games which is why i myself rarely use my AMD/ATI cards for gaming now.

Imo from my experience in gaming, AMD has worst drivers than Nvidia. Nvidia might be slow on releasing their drivers but they really take their time to fix things while AMD just tries to push drivers out so fast but do not really test them well so in the end its useless (you can tell they rush their drivers and most of the time they do not work properly, so AMD releases alot of hotfixes for their drivers).

Performance wise both companies make powerful cards, just Nvidia has been ahead lately and will most likely continue on to be this year with their new Kepler series. AMD cards are powerful aswell tho, but they are really held back by their horrible drivers, and this has been going on for ages, i think they should fire whoever is making their drivers, they obviosly need someone better who knows how to get the best out of their hardware more.

Alan wake is just one of those games that work great with AMD cards, but its really rare to see a game that works so good with AMD drivers on release, very rare in my experienec with AMD/ATI cards. Nvidia just seems to be more serious about supporting games, even long after a games release Nvidia will try to improve its performance in any way they can via series of driver releases and thats really great imo.

But yeah thats jsut what i think, its drivers that keep most people away from AMD, its what got me to use Nvidia cards more now, tho i still own AMD/ATI cards for backup if ever a game doesnt work good with my Nvidia.

Last edited by cyborg34573: 02-19-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #21
HJP

Please stay on topic guys. This thread is regarding Nvidia's SLI profile. If you want to argue over whether AMD of Nvidia is better, go do it in the Steam hardware forum.

Oh wait.. These sort of 'verses' threads are banned there.
HJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #22
failgo

Quote:
I'm sorry?

Because you successfully deflected the topic from SLI news from Nvidia to AMD vs. Nvidia hardware flame war. It wasn't even near the same topic and you inserted your opinionated crap into it to start a "discussion" on something people watching this thread could give a rats about.
failgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #23
SyphonX

Quote:
Originally Posted by failgo View Post
Because you successfully deflected the topic from SLI news from Nvidia to AMD vs. Nvidia hardware flame war. It wasn't even near the same topic and you inserted your opinionated crap into it to start a "discussion" on something people watching this thread could give a rats about.
Wow you are all absolute psychos.

Something people watching this thread could give a rats about? Sorry, you're wrong. Seems people do give a , because I'm not the first to bring it up.

AMD has a profile already, Nvidia does not. Amazing how relevant that is to this discussion. I'm definitely not the one trolling here.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #24
SyphonX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg34573 View Post
AMD was just extra quick with Alan wake , but with other games they dont fix them till a month after or something. Rage for example is one, that game did not work at properly at all for AMD hardware on release , AMD released so many drivers to fix the thing but it just broke it even more and more it was getting really frustrating, didnt get fixed till months after. Same with Saints Row the third which again didnt work properly day one for AMD cards , most AMD users wer having insane performance issues. But yeah its the same for alot of games which is why i myself rarely use my AMD/ATI cards for gaming now.

Imo from my experience in gaming, AMD has worst drivers than Nvidia. Nvidia might be slow on releasing their drivers but they really take their time to fix things while AMD just tries to push drivers out so fast but do not really test them well so in the end its useless (you can tell they rush their drivers and most of the time they do not work properly, so AMD releases alot of hotfixes for their drivers).

Performance wise both companies make powerful cards, just Nvidia has been ahead lately and will most likely continue on to be this year with their new Kepler series. AMD cards are powerful aswell tho, but they are really held back by their horrible drivers, and this has been going on for ages, i think they should fire whoever is making their drivers, they obviosly need someone better who knows how to get the best out of their hardware more.

Alan wake is just one of those games that work great with AMD cards, but its really rare to see a game that works so good with AMD drivers on release, very rare in my experienec with AMD/ATI cards. Nvidia just seems to be more serious about supporting games, even long after a games release Nvidia will try to improve its performance in any way they can via series of driver releases and thats really great imo.

But yeah thats jsut what i think, its drivers that keep most people away from AMD, its what got me to use Nvidia cards more now, tho i still own AMD/ATI cards for backup if ever a game doesnt work good with my Nvidia.
Fair enough, I suppose both companies have their faults with profiles. It's just bizarre that they would wait till after release to get something going, when it's obvious they could have been working with Remedy in the middle of the project.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #25
joelegecko

CUDA computing and drivers ( they used to be really good ) make me stick with Nvidia. But honestly, it's becoming harder and harder to justify the upgrade nowadays. Video cards are extremely expensive while offering small improvements regarding performances. And the worst part is most of the games we play are cheap ports from the consoles which do not require so much power. Sure we get jewels like Alan Wake sometimes, but the fact we need to point out how good the port is clearly shows how bad the others are.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...999?tab=public

Screenshot from Alan Wake. Now imagine Skyrim with a good engine like this... wouldn't the experience be better ( I know it would if you look at the amount of people downloading the graphic mods ) ?
joelegecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #26
cyborg34573

Quote:
Fair enough, I suppose both companies have their faults with profiles. It's just bizarre that they would wait till after release to get something going, when it's obvious they could have been working with Remedy in the middle of the project.
They could, but its not up to Nvidia or AMD/ATI, its the developers that have to go to Nvidia or AMD/ATI and tell them about the game they are developing and see how both companies can improve the games performance with driver optimizations. Its the developers game, they are the ones trying to sell it, so they need to make sure it works well with current hardware available, so its their responsibility to approach video card manufacturers/designers and ask them to do something to improve the games performance on their available hardware.

People also always think that developers put in Physx for example in their games just because Nvidia told or asked or even payed them to do, no its the developers choice to put it in their games and they actually go to Nvidia for help in those situations, not the other way around.

But yeah if your trying to sell a game, as the developer you have the responsibility/job to make sure it works on current hardware, and to make sure of that you have to approach hardware manufacturers and ask them how they can help out.

Last edited by cyborg34573: 02-19-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #27
alanzi

well... i finish the game and the extra episodes.

with the sli profile of fear2.

still waiting for a official profile 4 finish the game again in nightmare.
alanzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #28
iNcRiMiNaTi

Damn still no SLi? It's kinda annoying when the game runs between 30-50fps. I mean I can drop the res down to 1280x720 from 1080 or lower the settings but I don't wanna play it like that, especially since I already have the 360 version.
iNcRiMiNaTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #29
yapchagi

so they're still having problem eh? So disappointed.
yapchagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #30
pzotti

What's the problem exactly with Alan Wake and SLI ?
I use SLI set up with 2x EVA GTX 460 1GB and it work perfectly with no glitch/bugs at all and it's sooooo smooth!

What is this driver suppose to change actually ?
pzotti is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alan Wake