Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dear Esther

Old 02-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
phototime

one sided

This forum seem to only except people and comments that are positive to the game. If you loved the game then you are welcome to comment and your opinion is excepted. But if you don't like the game your opinion is insulted, flamed and if one replies to comments it's looked at as flaming and spamming. LOL

Debate my opinion, talk about why I don't like the game but why try and insult or compress my right to NOT like the game.

I except that people like the game why cant others except that some do not.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
install gentoo

This game is just too deep for some people.
install gentoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
brataccas

Banned
Red face

I agree, too many guns on the brain or dont have the ability to adapt OUT of the mainstream
brataccas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
phototime

Quote:
Originally Posted by install gentoo View Post
I rest my case. LOL
phototime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
brataccas

Banned
Red face

Is there any point to you trolling the same rubbish over and over? Are you butthurt you bought the game and hate it and taking it out on the forums? sad.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Dsc

The thing is, a lot of the hate could have easily been avoided if some people would have just read up on the game a bit before buying it. I mean, I've seen a ton of people complain about "no gameplay" but that would be pretty common knowledge to them if they had put even a small amount of effort to read up on the game.
Dsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
phototime

Quote:
Originally Posted by brataccas View Post
Is there any point to you trolling the same rubbish over and over? Are you butthurt you bought the game and hate it and taking it out on the forums? sad.
I have the flu so i can sit here reading and laughing, whats sad is a a fan of the game hanging around the forum waiting for a negative comment to have fun with. sad.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
brataccas

Banned
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by phototime View Post
I have the flu so i can sit here reading and laughing, whats sad is a a fan of the game hanging around the forum waiting for a negative comment to have fun with. sad.
Im actually waiting response for zoom console command actually, you come across as a really boring person who gets kicks by spouting pointless rubbish on boards.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
install gentoo

All trolling aside, I doubt you got the full extent of the story in the first playthrough. Of course it might just not be the kind of experience you enjoy.
install gentoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
phototime

Quote:
Originally Posted by brataccas View Post
Im actually waiting response for zoom console command actually, you come across as a really boring person who gets kicks by spouting pointless rubbish on boards.
Your right of course, I agree, I bow to your intellect, you are by far the better person. Your right the game is fantastic, I should have not been so hard on the game, thankyou for setting me straight. Your wit, intellect and your way with words must be legendary here in this forum. LOL I cant stand this any longer Im truly out of my league with you and this game.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
FifthDimension

Well, I suspect that this happens because people who are interested in this type of thing are more likely to buy it; people who dislike this kind of thing are likely to say, "What is this crap? Why would I want a game where you don't do anything? I'm not paying $10 for this."

Therefore, the people who play it are (1) the people who like it, (2) the people who dislike it even though they like the premise, and (3) the people who did not pay attention to the basic premise but bought it anyway and disliked it. Because of the prominence of group 3, there is an automatic tendency to blame the buyer for disliking the game.

Also, people who care about the game enough to visit the forum either really liked it or really hated it. Due to the mindscrew qualities of the game, a lot of people come to the forum for fan theories. The people who really like it tend to be in the majority here due to the nature of the game, the marketing, and the forum format itself. So you have all of the adamant fans in one place, ready to pounce on any dissenters.

So that's why.
FifthDimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #12
brataccas

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthDimension View Post
Well, I suspect that this happens because people who are interested in this type of thing are more likely to buy it; people who dislike this kind of thing are likely to say, "What is this crap? Why would I want a game where you don't do anything? I'm not paying $10 for this."

Therefore, the people who play it are (1) the people who like it, (2) the people who dislike it even though they like the premise, and (3) the people who did not pay attention to the basic premise but bought it anyway and disliked it. Because of the prominence of group 3, there is an automatic tendency to blame the buyer for disliking the game.

Also, people who care about the game enough to visit the forum either really liked it or really hated it. Due to the mindscrew qualities of the game, a lot of people come to the forum for fan theories. The people who really like it tend to be in the majority here due to the nature of the game, the marketing, and the forum format itself. So you have all of the adamant fans in one place, ready to pounce on any dissenters.

So that's why.
well said, I coudn't put it any better than this tbh.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
phototime

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthDimension View Post

So that's why.
I agree 100%
Old 02-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
skia

I for one am one of those who can play the game, enjoy it for what it is, have respect for it, but at the same time throw positive criticism at it.

If we didn't criticize it, how can we expect the developers to try harder and thus give us better content in the future?

COD is an example of what happens when you don't criticize a game, you just get the same thing over and over again.

The job of the community isn't only to praise the game, but to criticize it as well.
skia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #15
purplellama

Quote:
Originally Posted by install gentoo View Post
some of my favorite directors are tarkovsky ( stalker was based on his film, extremely minimal
post apocalyptic setting with almost pure contemplation )
alejandro jodorowsky, el topo, the holy mountain and many more!
werner herzog makes a lot of great pieces.
and can't help but mention the brothers quay, extremely surreal stop animation.

don't assume we're uncultured COD fans who watch television and are obsessed with mass media.

some people just have different opinions, it doesn't mean you have to attack them
for expressing something other than what you hold to be truth.

grow up. learn to accept others opinions and converse with them.
it could teach us all a lot.

Last edited by purplellama: 02-18-2012 at 06:39 PM.
purplellama is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dear Esther