Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 02-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
pixelsmack

Question What's up with all the cloud syncing?

IS steam syncing our saves now?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
radiohat

yes...
radiohat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
d45t

Sure seems like it. Things were slow until I turned off cloud syncing.
d45t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
Codine

Its uploading like 80mbs every time I close the game. I wish there was a way to limit what saves, I really dont want it to upload 4 autosaves every time.
Codine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
lonewolfdon

You could disable the "Steam Cloud" sync on a per game basis that uses it:

Right-click (on Skyrim in Library), Properties, Updates, Uncheck the "Enable Steam Cloud..." option.

Or, you can set to disable the Steam-Cloud for all games that may make use of it. Steam > Setting > Downloads & Cloud > Uncheck the "Enable Steam Cloud..." option there.
lonewolfdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:17 AM   #6
NoBridges

Banned
Disable it, it'll mess up your game eventually anyway.
NoBridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:05 AM   #7
GirlPower23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codine View Post
Its uploading like 80mbs every time I close the game. I wish there was a way to limit what saves, I really dont want it to upload 4 autosaves every time.
It can't possibly be uploading 80MB.. because Skyrims Cloud save is limited to 50MB.
GirlPower23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:53 AM   #8
0cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlPower23 View Post
It can't possibly be uploading 80MB.. because Skyrims Cloud save is limited to 50MB.
Which is stupid in itself, as I know some people that don't overwrite their saves but always make a new one.
0cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
SirNinja

Weird that we only get 50MB for Skyrim while we get 1GB [!!] for both Morrowind and Oblivion.
SirNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
bewilderedronin

Yeah, I just noticed I have 1GB for Shogun 2, of which I've used 4.89KB, but I only have 50MB for Skyrim, of which I've used 49.15MB.
bewilderedronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
dukmiester2

Steam Cloud: Just say NO

Given the extremely limited size of cloud storage for Skyrim, and the massive amount of times I save during a game session, I just turned off cloud for it as soon as I realized it was added.

I just use Winzip, created a job to archive my Skyrim data to a different drive, put a shortcut for the job on my desktop.

Now, after each game session, I just run the job and I have a folder on an alternate drive that has all my saves in individual date/time stamped ZIP files with a sub-folder for each day of the week. It's a much better, more reliable way to go, at least for me.

If you have the hard drive space, I'd suggest just manually backing up your saves instead of trusting cloud.

Now granted, there are a lot of games I don't mind letting cloud take care of but Skyrim is definitely NOT one of them.

Just my thoughts
dukmiester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #12
Sygnus21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlPower23 View Post
Exactly!

How to check - http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...3#post29281933
Sygnus21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #13
Sygnus21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukmiester2 View Post
Given the extremely limited size of cloud storage for Skyrim, and the massive amount of times I save during a game session, I just turned off cloud for it as soon as I realized it was added.

I just use Winzip, created a job to archive my Skyrim data to a different drive, put a shortcut for the job on my desktop.

Now, after each game session, I just run the job and I have a folder on an alternate drive that has all my saves in individual date/time stamped ZIP files with a sub-folder for each day of the week. It's a much better, more reliable way to go, at least for me.

If you have the hard drive space, I'd suggest just manually backing up your saves instead of trusting cloud.

Now granted, there are a lot of games I don't mind letting cloud take care of but Skyrim is definitely NOT one of them.

Just my thoughts
While your method is nice, and works for you.... Do realize the purpose of cloud.... to be able to access your files anywhere.

So.... If I'm in Paris playing Skyrim, then travel to New York where I want to play Skyrim, I just log into my steam account load the game and my last save will be loaded and I can start where I left off in Paris

For those that like to play offline a lot, yeah you might experience some slowdowns while Steam is "catching up" to sync your files, for those like me who stay online this shouldn't be an issue. I haven't had any slowdowns or loading issues since cloud was introduced.
Sygnus21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #14
HitDeity

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sygnus21 View Post
While your method is nice, and works for you.... Do realize the purpose of cloud....
Yeah, I do. The purpose of cloud is for convenience, but it has burned me too many times to trust it. With his method (which I also use, and I am using it for Batman: Arkham City at the moment due to over 16 hours of LOST SAVE GAME DATA...a game that used Steam Cloud from the get-go; Skyrim has not) I can be assured that my data will go with me everywhere I go.

Flash drives, CDs, whatever it takes, to keep from getting reamed by another Steam Cloud screw-up!! Thanks for the heads-up on this, because my little swirly ("please wait") icon in Steam has been going crazy lately, and I wasn't sure why it was doing that!! Seemed like it was uploading something, small in size, but about 6 to 8 times every time I left a game in Steam now. The humanity!!!

Batch files...still working reliably 3 decades later!!! Steam Cloud...not so much.
HitDeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #15
Twelvefield

I would humbly suggest that people who can jet from Paris to New York and who have a powerful enough computer to play Skyrim on either end (or who have a portable rig)... are exactly the sort of people who do not need to play Skyrim in the first place.

Still, thanks to all for illuminating this thread. I am one of those people who does not overwrite saves, and I was thinking that lately the Cloud has been very slow. Not that I was baffled by the mystery, just not yet motivated to turn off the STEAM Cloud. Now I am.
Twelvefield is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V