Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series

Old 02-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
Argel_Tal

CoP for the first time - with or without mod?

Good morning,
I finally finished SoC (with Complete Mod 1.44) and am about to start playing CoP.
Now, for the first time ever playing CoP, would you recommend to play the game Vanilla (except for the patches, of course), or install a mod?

I waqs very satisfied with the Complete Mod in SoC, but I read somewhere that the Complete Mod for CoP is still buggy. Can that be the case?

Also, I read about a utility that optimises the background processes in Windows when playing Stalker (something about 3Gigabyte). I use a Notebook with 4 GB RAM, whereof one GB is shared (graphics). Does it make sense to use the tool or not?

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Vintorez

You can play it Vanilla, it's very stable with few to no bugs. If you want the bugs fixed, with a somewhat smoother vanilla experience, CoP complete is the way to go. It has a couple of bugs but nothing major that I experienced.
Vintorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
hund_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintorez View Post
You can play it Vanilla, it's very stable with few to no bugs. If you want the bugs fixed, with a somewhat smoother vanilla experience, CoP complete is the way to go. It has a couple of bugs but nothing major that I experienced.
i totally agree
hund_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
Argel_Tal

Thanks for the quick answers.

I think I will try COmplete then (if the changelog appeals to me).

Does anyone know what changes Redux makes? And Reloaded? The descriptions on Moddb were kind of vague.

Also, does the 3GB patch make sense when you have 3GB of RAM available?
Argel_Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
Vintorez

Redux and Reloaded are partial conversions, they're OK, but compared to such mods as MISERY, SGM, SMRTER, and Swartz mod, they're both poo poo. They mostly add difficulty increasing changes (scarce supplies, and that sort of thing) but also add new elements such as lots of artifacts. SGM and Swartz mod are better for a second playthrough though.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:48 AM   #6
Argel_Tal

I installed the Complete Mod and it looks nice. No technical difficulties so far.

Just a few newbie questions:

1) how often do emissions occur? In the Mercenary camp there is a sewer system. Does that suffice to protect against emissions?

2) is it normal that you only get two artifact slots in your belt to start with and that light (green) radiation poisoning does not disappear of itself? How then can they justify sending you out there with only two anti-rad meds to begin with?

3) Does Complete CoP add anotehr 10kg to the maximum weight you can carry? I remember Complete SoC doing so.

Last edited by Argel_Tal: 02-20-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #7
Vintorez

1. If your PDA updates by saying "Wait in cover" with regards to an emission, you are safe. Almost any enclosed area will suffice. Not sure if the pipe in the waste station will work though.

2. Yes. All artifact slots are now suit-dependent. Depending on the suit you start with so many slots, then as you upgrade it you can have the option of adding more depending on what suit you are using.

3. Yes.

Done and done.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
Argel_Tal

Thanks for the answer.

I think I have now explored most of the first map and have found some artifacts. Frankly, I liked the SoC approach better where you didn't have to run around with s scanner everytime.

ALL of the artifacts I have obtained have at least +1 in radiation, which makes wearing them impossible lest I want to spend all my radiation medicine and vodka on them. Is that normal? Do you get some equipment that will cancel out this effect in the foreseeable future?
Old 02-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #9
Vintorez

Some of the artifacts you can find will negate radiation. You wear those along with ones that do cause radiation. I think the anomaly field out by the Dredge Station as well as the Burnt Farmstead underground and Scar anomaly produce anti-radiation artifacts. The anomaly field at the foot of the Oakpine tree also has occasional spawns of anti-radiation artifacts.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:03 AM   #10
Argel_Tal

Thanks. I will give it a try!
Old 02-21-2012, 03:17 AM   #11
Vintorez

If you see an artifact stuck to the ceiling of a cave or cave structure, try shooting it to knock it down. Save your Koloboks if you find any out by Oakpine! those aren't exactly common and there is only one guaranteed spawn of them at the anomaly.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
Friend-or-Pho

CoP is fine to play vanilla, but I had a few bugs that made quests not complete properly (including main story missions). Strangely enough installing CoP Complete and starting a new game fixed that issue. Besides that CoP Complete does a good job of a total-overhaul. Since this is your first time with CoP I'd say to play Vanilla so you can always come back later and see exactly what is different once you install some mods.
Friend-or-Pho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
Argel_Tal

I already installed Complete mod and it looks amazing. i could bathe in the sky after an emission

Where do I see which achievements I have unlocked?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #14
Vintorez

Look at your statistics tab in the PDA.

before I forget; the Claw anomaly will usually have at least a Jellyfish or a Wrenched knocking about most of the time you explore it. It's particularly good for finding anti-rad artifacts if you still want them.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #15
Argel_Tal

Yet another newbie question:

I think I have solved most side quests in Yanov/Jupiter, but have not advanced the storyline yet, i.e. I still need to find the last crashed helicopter and a way to pripyat.

Is it normal that I have not received any missions from the ecologists, yet? Can I first engage with them after I've been to Pripyat?

Also: I have so far avoided the Night Hunt quest (kill a chimera, quest given by Trapper). I understand this prevents the game from spawning random chimeras. Is this a price worth paying for not taking the free ammo the game offers after the quest?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series