Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V > Steam Workshop for Skyrim

Old 02-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
Skoldpadda

Spider control rod

Hey there!

I have a question for anyone who may know. I'm making a dungeon and would like to use the spider control rod (http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Spider_Control_Rod) and the special Dwarven Spider with it. My problem comes in here as the rod is not usable outside of Calcelmo's Laboratory. When you use it anywhere else you receive a message saying it can only be used in the lab. The spider then shoots you in the face with a lightning bolt.

I was just curious if anyone had found a way around this either through scripting or other means.

I have tried re-writing the script I thought dealt with this behavior (dunMarkarthWizardSpiderStaffEffect.psc). I found this script at the following location - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\S ource but I am by no means a programmer or script writer so my attempt may have just been silly.

Either way I would much appreciate any help you folks can give.

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
Skoldpadda

Update

I made a copy of the room that the spider can function in and deleted everything in there. I made a little test room and added the spider and staff. I no longer get the "you cant use that here" error but the spider does not move. There is navmesh in the room so he should be able to walk around. Thanks again for any help!
Skoldpadda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
superboyofmeat

Have you actually defined any of the properties in your script? You can't just copy/paste and have it work. Example:

Your script might say

Code:
DwemerSpider.Moveto(Game.GetPlayer())
Which is fine and dandy, but you need to define the property of the spider:

Code:
Actor property DwemerSpider Auto
Even if that is in the script, you have to go to "properties" and select what is being referenced.

Once all your properties are defined in the game, it should work. If not, set a debug trace and see what went wrong and where.
superboyofmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
Skoldpadda

Let me start by saying thank you very much for replying! I'll also say I'm afraid that went over my head a little bit.

I know what a debug trace is but don't know how to set one up. Also I am unfamiliar with which properties to define and how.

I know you may not have the time, but if you could perhaps walk me through it I would appreciate it quite a bit. Scripting is something that my brain doesn't quite grasp yet.

Thanks for being patient with the scripting/programming impaired.

Last edited by Skoldpadda: 02-20-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Skoldpadda

BTW these were the scripts that I was attempting to edit. I edited these specific ones as their names led me to believe they were responsible for the spider and staffs actions.

The first one is labeled dunMarkarthWizardMoveSpiderBeacon.psc

======

Scriptname dunMarkarthWizardMoveSpiderBeacon extends ObjectReference

ReferenceAlias property TG06_WQ_SpiderBeacon Auto
ReferenceAlias property Spider Auto
Quest property MWQQuest Auto
Message property FailMessage Auto
Location property WQ02Location Auto

Event OnInit()
if (Game.GetPlayer().IsInLocation(WQ02Location))
Spider.GetActorReference().EvaluatePackage()
TG06_WQ_SpiderBeacon.GetReference().MoveTo(Self)
Spider.GetActorRef().EvaluatePackage()
Else
FailMessage.Show()
EndIf
Self.Disable()
Self.Delete()
EndEvent

======

The second is labeled dunMarkarthWizardSpiderStaffEffect.psc

======

ScriptName dunMarkarthWizardSpiderStaffEffect extends ActiveMagicEffect
{Force-evals the spider's packages, or displays the failure message.}

Event OnEffectStart(Actor Target, Actor Caster)
if (Game.GetPlayer().IsInLocation(WQ02Location))
MWQQuest.SetStage(7)
Spider.GetActorReference().EvaluatePackage()
Else
FailMessage.Show()
EndIf
EndEvent

======

I removed the section that referenced needing a quest(or at least that's how I read it) to use the item. These are the unedited scripts though. I wouldn't show you the ones I tortured and saved :/

Hope this extra info helps.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
superboyofmeat

No prob. You see the places in the script mentioning properties?

Code:
ReferenceAlias property TG06_WQ_SpiderBeacon Auto

Those are there to help define the vaiables in your script. Without them, the script doesn't know what to do. Even though they are written in the script, they arent referencing any objects in the game, they need values filled.

In the script tabs, when you highlight a script you will se a [Properties] button pop up. Click it and you will probably get the picture. The properties need their values edited.

If the name of the thing you want to reference is the same in the script as it is in-game, you can hit "Auto fill." Otherwise, you will have to hit the tab labeled Cell, pick "any", then the name of whatever it is you are trying to call that property on.

Here is the problem you are going to face, that I really couldn't help with, This script and functions are working through the quest. One cool thing about the new scripting language is you can actually for-go writing long-complicated scripts and instead set new behaviours through Quest aliases. This is extremely trial and error intensive (it has been kicking my personally). What I would do if I were you is what I did when I wanted to copy something in the game. Duplicate every single quest, alias, NPC, dungeon etc. Mentioned in those quests, put it someplace, rename them entirely and try to get it functioning the same.

You picked a pretty rough mod to start working on, but most of what is therecan easily be worked through to see how it functions. My guess is the staff works by triggering Quest Aliases attached to the spider. That sounds simple, but its a complex series of scripts you will have to work through to understand.

Last edited by superboyofmeat: 02-20-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
Skoldpadda

You are a gentleman and a scholar! Thank you so much, this actually helps quite a bit. /tips hat.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
superboyofmeat

Just took a peek at this very thing to maybe provide more insight, glad I did because I found a script line that helped me finish my mod. Thanks lol.

Basically, what is happening is the Rod is casting a spell which places a fireball that also acts as a beacon. When the beacon loads in the area, it triggers a script that fires off the quest alias labeled SpiderBeacon, that tells the spider to move to the location. AFter the script is done it reverts back to the regular alias behavior of sitting in place and doing favors for the Player. Essentially, you need to look at the spell effects, the quests they call, the aliases in the quest, and the AI package in the aliases. With these things, if you can copy them into new scripts and get them functional, you should be able to make this work in your dungeon.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V > Steam Workshop for Skyrim