Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > F.E.A.R. series

Old 02-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Joshyjess

Perseus Mandate Vs Extraction Point

I absolutely loved the original FEAR. I consider it one of my all-time favorite FPS shooters.
I also recently finished playing through both of the DLC games, and I have to say that I enjoyed Perseum Mandate MUCH, MUCH more than I did Extraction Point.

For me, EP just felt rushed. Kind of like they through a few levels together to have something to release. When I finished the game, I didn't feel at all satisfied with it, and to be honest, I doubt that I will ever play it again.
Perseus Mandate, however, was a great addition to the original FEAR. It felt like I was back in the original story, and everything about it just felt like a lot more time was put into it.
As soon as I finished the game, I decided to play through it again.

It took me about 7 hours to finish EP, and about 10 to finish PM (I'm a pretty slow, deliberate player who likes to check every hallway, and every room, and look for as many supplies as possible.

I was just wondering if others felt the same way about these two DLC games, or if it was just me. Often times things will strike one person one way, and the next another.

Last edited by Joshyjess: 03-19-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:01 AM   #2
GRS9

Banned
Well, I think both were good, but Perseus Mandate was just a tad more polished.
GRS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Iconoclast XVII

I find it funny that now even expansion packs are being called DLC. Sad to see where gaming has gone now... Can't actually remember the last time I saw an expansion pack come out.

Anyway, I did like PM more than EP. EP was more of a continuation of the original story (probably why it was shorter), while PM was a stand alone story. And with EP...

Spoiler:
The deaths of the other two people, especially the male, were sort of annoying. Think I even remember seeing enemies in the game that you never fought. Could be mistaken, haven't played it in years.
Iconoclast XVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
bluz74

I enjoyed them both as well. To this day, every time I think of I see the inside of a church I think of Extraction Point.

However, I enjoyed PM more. The main reason is that you can still consider it part of the over all story, since it really is just a little side story. It doesn't really effect anything in the main story line so it's easier to accept it as part of the FEAR series.
bluz74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
MADDOGGE

Liked them both but I'm not sure I really have a fav among the two expansions. I'm seriously miffed though they killed off my girlfriend Jin and my main man Holiday in EP. Since neither expansion is considered canon by Mono-lie/WB, they resurrected her in FEAR3 but damn she be ugly in FEAR3.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
Douglas18

The original FEAR is my favorite game. I also liked both the expansions, however Perseus Mandate is the real gem.
Douglas18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:35 AM   #7
zodaex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOGGE View Post
Liked them both but I'm not sure I really have a fav among the two expansions. I'm seriously miffed though they killed off my girlfriend Jin and my main man Holiday in EP. Since neither expansion is considered canon by Mono-lie/WB, they resurrected her in FEAR3 but damn she be ugly in FEAR3.
Fardge what Monolie says. What has been seen cannot be unseen and JIN IS DEAD. Deal With it she has long since deteriorated. 2nd day studios need a reality check.

Last edited by zodaex: 02-25-2012 at 05:52 PM.
zodaex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
Mega Man

I think Perseus mandate it's a little better, especially for some scenes and more new robot-enemies, but all the two expansions packs (NOT dlc!) are good for me
BTW the story of the exps it's not included in the original storyline xD so they are *useless*, only good for shoot some damned replica :P
Mega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodaex View Post
Fardge what Monolie says. What has been seen cannot be unseen and JIN IS DEAD. .
Nooooooooooooooooooooo, it's all a lie!!! That or it's a Dallas dream and JR wasn't shot afterall.

As far as I'm concerned FEAR ended with the first game so canon or not the expansions don't count, nor for that matter do the horrible botched story of 2 & 3. Somewhere in an alternate universe there is a real FEAR2/ maybe a FEAR3 and those FEAR1 fans there are happy campers. I just play them as decent shooters.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
zodaex

Quote:
Nooooooooooooooooooooo, it's all a lie!!! That or it's a Dallas dream and JR wasn't shot afterall.

As far as I'm concerned FEAR ended with the first game so canon or not the expansions don't count, nor for that matter do the horrible botched story of 2 & 3. Somewhere in an alternate universe there is a real FEAR2/ maybe a FEAR3 and those FEAR1 fans there are happy campers. I just play them as decent shooters.
I really want the alternate universe edition of fear 3.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
GRS9

Banned
Quote:
Mono-lie? As if Monolith did anything wrong. Monolith was kicked out of FEAR 3 due to WB being ret*rded.
GRS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
zodaex

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS9 View Post
Mono-lie? As if Monolith did anything wrong. Monolith was kicked out of FEAR 3 due to WB being ret*rded.
Monolith did screw up big time making FEAR 2 so horribly consolized. You have to use the keyboard for almost everything! Fear 1 and 3 menus work just fine with the mouse. Oh and in FEAR 2 there are the most menus too! It's horrible.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:34 AM   #13
FreemanForPrez

Quote:

Sort of ^this^ and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodaex View Post
Fardge what Monolie says. What has been seen cannot be unseen and JIN IS DEAD. Deal With it she has long since deteriorated. 2nd day studios need a reality check.
^this^

In spite of what Consolith says and they who defend them, EP and PM *are* canon, IMO. I'm not going to go through it again, but several months back I wrote a few long-winded posts here in this forum as to exactly why I believe that. I consider EP and PM to be more canon than FEAR 2 and F-three-AR, where they just randomly and haphazardly re-wrote the story for no apparent reason, except to suit their own purposes.

As for the topic of this thread, I liked them both about equally. Both were "real" FEAR games, both had that FEAR style about them, both were long games and very fun.

I was VERY disappointed with what they did to Holliday,
Spoiler:
but damn, that was one of the most spectacular and chilling video game deaths I've ever seen. For that matter, also one of the most unnerving video game moments of all time. He went out in serious style. If they HAD to kill him off, they at least did it spectacularly.

I couldn't really pick one over the other. When I play FEAR 1, I don't consider myself finished until I've also finished EP and PM.

Last edited by FreemanForPrez: 03-09-2012 at 04:37 AM.
FreemanForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #14
Nudge.Voelturi

PM (48.7 hours) left me satisfied at the end, EP (39.9 hours) left me wanting more (not exactly F3AR but close). I liked having some of the opposition move as quickly as I did, what I didn't like was that the enemy commander (I think) had albinism.
Nudge.Voelturi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #15
HomerPepsi

For me, I prefer PM, but I like all the original series, so it's hard to single one of the two out expansions.
HomerPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > F.E.A.R. series