Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 02-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
ancel3

Angry "Portal 2.exe has stopped working

Alright, so I bought Portal 2 the other day, waited an entire day in suspense for it to download, then played three hours on it. After that, I see my friend who also has Portal 2 logs on, and so I invite him to a game of co-op. Once the loading screens pass, the game crashes. And I don't mean just closes, I mean it crashes my freaking PC and gives me the blue screen. So I poked around on the internet a bit, and tried the "Verify integrity of the game cache" thing. It came up with one file was corrupt every time I did it, and it still does that. It "downloads a fix",then nothing happens and the game still crashes. So I read a bit more, then uninstalled/reinstalled it. Another day of waiting. When I get back, NOTHING IS CHANGED. So I reinstall it again, and now it won't even get to the loading screen. Does anybody know a fix? 'Cause I haven't found one in three days. (I've even tried downgrading my graphics card.) TF2, Portal 1 and HL2 all work fine. I've paid $30 for this game, and I'm starting to get very PO'd at it. I either want a fix or a refund.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
ajklamer

I'm in the same boat, it either freezes up or shuts down after playing for about 2 minutes. Even just trying to delete old save games crashes it. I'm starting to think something is wrong from Steam's end, because it seems a lot of people are having this same issue.
ajklamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
Qrome

You've only successfully played the game once, is this right? Does the screen go black and the sound stutter before the crash happens?

Try navigating to Program Files/steam/steamapps/common/portal2/portal2/update/cfg and deleting videodefaults.txt. It will clear your video settings, but might make the game playable. Just remember to delete this file before every time you launch the game.
Qrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
ajklamer

I successfully played it more than once. Didn't play it for maybe a month, then when I went back to it I was having this problem.

I tried deleting that txt file and that did not help.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
thomchel78

Moi c'est pareil.Dés que j'appuie sur la touche utiliser le jeu s'arrete.
thomchel78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
ancel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrome View Post
You've only successfully played the game once, is this right? Does the screen go black and the sound stutter before the crash happens?

Try navigating to Program Files/steam/steamapps/common/portal2/portal2/update/cfg and deleting videodefaults.txt. It will clear your video settings, but might make the game playable. Just remember to delete this file before every time you launch the game.
Actually, yes, that's what happened the first time. But now I can't even get to title screen without the entire thing blowing up.

I got a friend now, telling me to "install everything from Windows Update (resolves known issues in various parts of Windows) and then install this"

No idea if or how it's gonna work, but I'll keep you updated.
ancel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
ancel3

OKAY, that brought me back to the audio glitcheyness. I'll try deleting that file.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
ancel3

Alright, I cant find the "update" folder, it's not there. There WAS, however, a "portal.exe" file. The one on the desktop is actually a web link, so I'll try opening this one as an administrator.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
ancel3

Alright, that did not work, and in fact crashed my PC again.
I did buy this recently, and it just shipped today. Think it'll help?
Old 02-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #10
ajklamer

I got it to work. I installed the game on my laptop, then I was able to play it. When I exited it, there was a message from my firewall saying something about portal2.exe. So I went into the firewall on my PC and checked the "public" network box under allowed sites, and now it seems to be working. So, I'm not sure if it was just that I was able to play on the laptop and sort of "un-stick" my game, or if was the firewall change. I should have tried playing it again before changing the firewall setting, but I really had no reason to believe it would work without changing anything.

So, in summary... it may be a firewall issue.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2