Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
Menphues
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 307
Posts: 1,617
Steam download speeds really slow?

Hello,

Just been downloading some of my games, and noticed that steam starts off at my 5.5Mbps and then runs fine for 10/20minutes and then drops down to 2.9Mbps and then 1.0Mbps and goes between that and 300Kbps.

Anyone noticed this?

So now I am getting between 300Kbps and 1.2Mbps.

Not an amusing speed for me, seeing as I got a Virgin Media 100Mbps connection!
Menphues is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
eydeeb
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Reputation: 795
Posts: 2,744
There's no need to make a thread for boasting about your connection. Just try other servers as everyone else.
eydeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
jonnyj03
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 6
Posts: 101
He is boasting about his connection because he has 2.9mb/s? No I see he is asking why his download speeds are slowing down... 2.9mb/s is very average internet now a days there chap. Why are you so butt hurt? Slow internet tends to do that to people I guess. Sorry.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1787334377.png

Thats boasting.

Last edited by jonnyj03: 02-21-2012 at 07:34 AM. Reason: example of boasting for uneducated person
jonnyj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
Fish-E
 
Fish-E's Avatar
 
Volunteer Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2008
Reputation: 6090
Posts: 5,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menphues View Post
Hello,

Just been downloading some of my games, and noticed that steam starts off at my 5.5Mbps and then runs fine for 10/20minutes and then drops down to 2.9Mbps and then 1.0Mbps and goes between that and 300Kbps.

Anyone noticed this?

So now I am getting between 300Kbps and 1.2Mbps.

Not an amusing speed for me, seeing as I got a Virgin Media 100Mbps connection!
Are you aware that the speed Virgin Media advertises is different to the speed you'll actually get? ISPs advertise in Megabits per second, while internet programs (ie steam) display your download speed in Megabytes per second, you need to divide your line speed by 8 to get your maximum download speed. You've used Mbps for both your download speed and line speed so I thought you might not actually be aware.

Anyway, your best bet is to change your download server or check if Virgin Media is throttling your downloads, I believe they have some sort of traffic management policy.

I'm jealous of all of you, I live ~5 mile from Virgin Media HQ yet this is what I get.
Fish-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
LurkerLito
 
Join Date: May 2006
Reputation: 20
Posts: 244
Here's my question, did you start to play any steam games while you were waiting? In my experience, if you play any steam game while you are downloading anything from steam, steam throttles your download speeds. It doesn't matter if the game you are playing is online or offline single player only and a simple 2D indie puzzle game, steam slows down the download as long as the steam game is running.
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
etienneb29
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reputation: 219
Posts: 909
A 100 Mb/s connection would give you if all works well 12.5 MB/s.

Maybe try a different content server.

And for the boasting part: http://www.usenetguides.com/wp-conte...-speedtest.png
(That's not me, I just found it on the internets)
etienneb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
YiddoDom
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 28
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menphues View Post
So now I am getting between 300Kbps and 1.2Mbps.
My max DL speed is 170KBps.. Lol
YiddoDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
spartan0078
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Reputation: 1596
Posts: 2,814
I'm getting it to. My max DL speed has been between 100-250kb/s and I usually get 600kb/s.

Last edited by spartan0078: 02-21-2012 at 08:26 AM.
spartan0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
Chapa9dj
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Reputation: 2248
Posts: 5,485
The downloads has been going way to slow for me too. I have 6Mb, i used to download at 800Kbps or 1.2Mb but now i only download at 200Kbps regardless of which server i choose.

Actually i'll never understand, i currently have 6Mbs but on Speedtest it shows 10-15-20 most of the time, same with upstream, i get up to 2Mb upstream sometimes.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1787451043.png

Last edited by Chapa9dj: 02-21-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Chapa9dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
Europhoria
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Reputation: 15973
Posts: 5,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyj03 View Post
He is boasting about his connection because he has 2.9mb/s? No I see he is asking why his download speeds are slowing down... 2.9mb/s is very average internet now a days there chap. Why are you so butt hurt? Slow internet tends to do that to people I guess. Sorry.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1787334377.png

Thats boasting.
Comcast at that speed. I detect lies.
Europhoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #11
Masacru
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Reputation: 205
Posts: 1,462
Try changing your regional settings under steam at settings / downloads tab. I have mine set as Germany Frankfurt (I don't live in germany) but in Europe.
Masacru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #12
jelman98
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Reputation: 5
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-E View Post
Are you aware that the speed Virgin Media advertises is different to the speed you'll actually get? ISPs advertise in Megabits per second, while internet programs (ie steam) display your download speed in Megabytes per second, you need to divide your line speed by 8 to get your maximum download speed. You've used Mbps for both your download speed and line speed so I thought you might not actually be aware.

Anyway, your best bet is to change your download server or check if Virgin Media is throttling your downloads, I believe they have some sort of traffic management policy.

I'm jealous of all of you, I live ~5 mile from Virgin Media HQ yet this is what I get.
You are on BT. Duh.
jelman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
Menphues
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 307
Posts: 1,617
I am not boasting thank you.

If you cannot help, then please do not my time and thread space and shut up.

I've tried all the servers for UK. I used to have a great download speed but over the past month or so, it has dropped to slow speeds. Yes I know other people do not get fast speeds etc, but you get what you pay for, then again I know some places cannot have the super connections what the UK offers.

I'm miffed why all of a sudden over a time line it's been coming down and down and never done that before.

Also virgin media does not throttle or cap the 50Mbps or 100Mbps connections. Only the 10 and 30mbps.
Check the traffic control and phoned them so it will not be that.
Menphues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #14
vincentgnanaraj
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masacru View Post
Try changing your regional settings under steam at settings / downloads tab. I have mine set as Germany Frankfurt (I don't live in germany) but in Europe.
Germany is in europe only right? im from india, suddenly had doubt on your statement
vincentgnanaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #15
lridium
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Reputation: 275
Posts: 3,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menphues View Post
Hello,

Just been downloading some of my games, and noticed that steam starts off at my 5.5Mbps and then runs fine for 10/20minutes and then drops down to 2.9Mbps and then 1.0Mbps and goes between that and 300Kbps.

Anyone noticed this?

So now I am getting between 300Kbps and 1.2Mbps.

Not an amusing speed for me, seeing as I got a Virgin Media 100Mbps connection!
Try changing servers in Steam/Settings/Downloads+Cloud. Additionally, your ISP may be throttling your connection as you download for a period of time. I'd read a bit and see how they handle long-term, high-speed downloads. QoS is AWFUL on many ISPs.
lridium is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.