Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks

Old 02-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
Peter749

Woodhead - Class 77 coming soon but -

On the Railworks Facebook page is the Class 77 in Green with a note saying it's out on Thursday.

But one again there are so many faults
1, the font is wrong - a different font was used for the Green and Blue liveries
2, the Blue loco has a BR Double Arrow sign - even though none of the locos has this symbol

Have a look at a REAL loco
http://www.flickr.com/photos/david_christie/5618721425/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barking...ool-667543@N22

Please Correct These OBVIOUS ERRORS.

Peter
Old 02-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Class76

http://www.railsimulator.com/newsdetail.php?Ref=373
Class76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
Suicide Perkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter749 View Post

Please Correct These OBVIOUS ERRORS.
Please direct this to RSC who make the game. We can't do anything about these inaccuracies.
Suicide Perkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
Mr_Benn

This is great news! I remember these on that line, in blue.
Mr_Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:00 AM   #5
Peter749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Perkies View Post
Please direct this to RSC who make the game. We can't do anything about these inaccuracies.
I did send them an e-mail but they were not interested.

I thought this was a Railworks Forum where RSC staff read it and might, (ho-ho), take note and do something.

Peter
Peter749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:47 AM   #6
Suicide Perkies

I recall hearing that RSC don't like to come here because of all the complaining.

Make of that what you will. Personally, any game maker being that disengaged from its community stands to lose everything.
Suicide Perkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:52 AM   #7
Class76

They read some of this stuff for sure any business man worth his salt studies his market feeling.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
SouthernPacific

Peter,

I understand your viewpoint, but maybe they are using the model to represent more than one class besides the Class 77 or the Class EM2 if you will. I think the train is a pretty good representation of the chassis, this maybe a little artistic license as well. At the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry there is a NS 1500 Class Locomotive there that is painted yellow and grey and it has a Double Arrow, if I'm not mistaken and from what I can tell there was only one in blue. So they did get a few things right. I understand to you these are "OBVIOUS ERRORS" but to the laymen they are not. Hopefully, there will be a re-skin of it, but I doubt they are going to stop the whole show to re-skin it this it will be due out tomorrow. But who knows they might surprise you and I, and the release or future release will have your desired changes.

V/R
Espee
SouthernPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
Peter749

Get your facts right

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernPacific View Post
Peter,

I understand your viewpoint, but maybe they are using the model to represent more than one class besides the Class 77 or the Class EM2 if you will. I think the train is a pretty good representation of the chassis, this maybe a little artistic license as well. At the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry there is a NS 1500 Class Locomotive there that is painted yellow and grey and it has a Double Arrow, if I'm not mistaken and from what I can tell there was only one in blue. So they did get a few things right. I understand to you these are "OBVIOUS ERRORS" but to the laymen they are not. Hopefully, there will be a re-skin of it, but I doubt they are going to stop the whole show to re-skin it this it will be due out tomorrow. But who knows they might surprise you and I, and the release or future release will have your desired changes.

V/R
Espee
OK Espee - you might know something about American Trains but your knowledge of the Class 77 is rather limited.

1. There was only one class of EM2 in the World - not like in America where EMD builds a SD40-2 and you can have it in loads of colours - so their use of the EM2 body for another loco is limited.

2. The loco in the museum at Liverpool Road Manchester is one of the seven Class 77/EM2 locos that were bought by the Dutch Railways from BR in 1969 and painted in their colours. When the loco was donated to the museum it was under the condition that it stayed in NS livery and condition.
And it has a NS logo on the side - NOT a BR Double Arrow.
http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/nl/...0/ns1505-3.jpg

3. When the DD40-AX comes out if they paint it in Santa Fe Warbonnet livery or even SPSF Red and Yellow would that be ok to you?

Your view seems that they can make as many errors as they like.

Peter
Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
Class76

The Dutch railways only used and painted six class 77s the seventh 27005 Minerva was used as spares for the others.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #11
Peter749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class76 View Post
The Dutch railways only used and painted six class 77s the seventh 27005 Minerva was used as spares for the others.
Yes I was aware that they only painted 6 not 7 having seen and travelled behind all six locos on the NS system and behind an EM2 from Manchester to Sheffield in 1967.

Peter
Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #12
Peter749

Something wierd here.

If a Model loco or wagon comes out and there is something not quite right with it then the Model Railway press and the readers writing in Let Them Know before parting with their cash.

Here we are thinking about 'Buying a Model' but when an error is spotted no one cares.

Why?

Peter
Old 02-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #13
SouthernPacific

You’re correct my knowledge of the European rail system and locomotives are indeed limited. But can you not concede to the point that to the laymen this is not oblivious? I am certainly not saying they can make as many errors as they like, but your view point makes it seem like they are doing everything wrong which is not the case. I don’t think it is realistic to expect them at this late date to drop everything to re-skin the model. Try looking at the glass being half full instead of being half empty; I’m sure your insight has been noted. Who knows maybe this topic will help make those needed changes.

I agree if there is an error then it should indeed be noted relayed back and fixed. So I indeed do care, but I think it is more about your tone or delivery that is so entirely negative. I would hope you and other will agree that is forum in general is entirely negative. I don't think you entirely hate the simulator, or you wouldn't still be here.

Last edited by SouthernPacific: 02-22-2012 at 10:07 AM.
SouthernPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
Mr_Benn

Quote:
Something wierd here.

If a Model loco or wagon comes out and there is something not quite right with it then the Model Railway press and the readers writing in Let Them Know before parting with their cash.

Here we are thinking about 'Buying a Model' but when an error is spotted no one cares.

Why?

Peter
Probably because most people consider that detail to be relatively minor. I certainly wouldn't have been aware of those errors unless I'd read your original post. And not being an authority on the subject, I don't feel that I'm in a position to inform RSC of their error. You're the expert - not us!

Of course, now that I am aware of it I should like it to be fixed, and I'm glad people like Peter749 are around to point it out to the developers and to us. I hope the developers listen.

However I believe we can all make an effort to be positive - after all we are all on the same side and simulators like this are a rarity these days! Having worked as a developer myself in another game, I know how annoying it is when you've spent hundreds of hours making something to the best of your ability, and then someone picks up on a small detail that is wrong and focuses on that. It's important to provide praise first and then point out the problem in a positive way. They are more likely to listen that way.

And I have to say that in my opinion, the Woodhead Route expansion, and the trains that go with it, is a wonderful and inspired piece of work that can only come from someone who has a deep knowledge and interest in this line. But, yes, a policy of continual improvement based on later feedback and research is definitely a good thing.

Last edited by Mr_Benn: 02-22-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Mr_Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #15
Sly401

Quote:
Something wierd here.

Why?

Peter
Not being off here, But Peter I think you are looking for a real class "Whatever".....

What Myself and other developers do is produce a representation of the real thing.... the same goes for scale physical models.

I can make you a full engineering model of any locomotive you like...... You couldn't run it, It would look terrible, and would cost you £110 -150 THOUSAND.

To Demonstrate my point... I challenge you

Pick any model digital or physical from anywhere in the world, (and that includes the excellent exhibition engineering models in places such as the NRM), that you think is perfection, and I will show you something wrong with it.

Suffices to say any developer produces an item how he/she wants it....... not necessarily what you want.

But it will probably be just what the majority are looking for at the price they want using the resources they want.

What you are buying is a representation .. not the real thing

I rest my case

Sly ..(Paul IHH )
Sly401 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks