Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Spiral Knights

Old 02-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
ZPE

Mission Mode is Here! Update: Tier 3 Missions Added

From Nick:

Today's patch features the official release of Missions! This patch includes Rank Missions through Rank 6-2. More exciting missions will be released in the future!

Mission Overview
Missions provide players with a a structure for navigating the world of Spiral Knights. Each mission features a reward that is guaranteed with completion in addition to the rewards acquired during the mission itself.

Missions range from simple tasks like speaking with an NPC to going on an a major expedition within the Clockworks. One of the key features of missions is that everything is managed within the mission interface. You will never find yourself searching a town for NPCs or left to wonder what to do next. When you’re looking for action, simply open up the mission interface and away you go!

Additionally, the Character Select interface now includes the ‘Ready Room.’ The Ready Room is where your knight chooses where to go after selection. You can chat with friends and guildmates, check out your Social Panel and Event Hub, head in to town or go directly on a mission.

Ready Room Preview

There are four types of missions: Rank, Prestige, Expansion and Arcade.

Rank Missions
Rank Missions serve the main campaign of Spiral Knights. Comprised of over 80 missions, Rank Missions will allow a player to rise in the ranks of the Spiral Knights. Starting as a lowly Recruit, knights can ultimately achieve the mighty rank of Vanguard.

Rank Missions also feature a new way of acquiring the recipes that you need. In each Rank Mission lobby you will find Basil selling a set selection of recipes that are geared toward the mission you are about to face. Additionally, Rank Missions have you regularly visiting the ‘Hall of Heroes’ where players can see veteran knight loadouts and purchase their recipes for their gear. The Hall of Heroes also serves as a stage for certification, requiring players have a loadout of a set star level to advance, much like the Spiral Warden’s requirements in subtowns.

Any knight that had a particular Tier Clearance prior to this patch will still be able to access the appropriate Tier in the Clockworks. Knights without Tier 2 and 3 Clearance prior to this patch must complete Rank Missions in order to gain clearance.

Prestige Missions
Prestige Missions are offered to you daily and can only be completed once a day. These missions reward you with ‘prestige’ which acts as a running score attached to your knight. Knights with high prestige will earn a special bonus in the future.

Expansion Missions
Expansion Missions are bonus missions that can be unlocked with purchase. Expansion Missions, like Rank Missions, feature set rewards and can be played as often as you like once unlocked. Some expansion missions are a ‘pack’ of missions and provide you with a version for different tiers that feature unique rewards. Our first Expansion Mission pack, 'Operation: Crimson Hammer,' will be released in the near future.

Arcade Missions
Arcade Missions provide you with the convenience of creating and joining parties in the Arcade directly from the mission interface. However, the Arcade must still be visited to deposit minerals.

The Supply Depot
The Supply Depot is a new feature that is connected to the mission interface. The Supply Depot is a place where players can purchase items associated with missions with energy. This includes accessories, weapons, gear, upgrades and even energy packs.

However, items in the Supply Depot must be earned. Items are added to your personal Supply Depot as you rank up. Achieve the highest rank you can and build the ultimate Supply Depot!

Weapons and gear purchased from the Supply Depot are BOUND on purchase!

Item Fixes
- Deadshot Mantle no longer accepts FRONT attachments. BACK attachments now allowed. Any accessory that's already attached will not be affected.
- Spiral Sallet's texture has had a recolor-seam fixed.

Item Balance
Silversix:
- Removed piercing damage, now pure elemental damage (overall attack power remains the same)
- Added undead damage bonus

Argent Peacemaker:
- Removed piercing damage, now pure elemental damage (overall attack power remains the same)
- Added undead damage bonus

Blackhawk:
- Removed piercing damage, now pure shadow damage (overall attack power remains the same)
- Added gremlin damage bonus

Sentenza
- Removed piercing damage, now pure shadow damage (overall attack power remains the same)
- Added gremlin damage bonus

The following handguns now push enemies away on charge attack instead of pulling them toward you;
- Autogun
- Pepperbox
- Fiery Pepperbox
- Volcanic Pepperbox
- Magnus
- Mega Magnus
- Callahan
- Punch Gun
- Iron Slug

User Interface
- Some simple animations have been added to various common ui.
- Conversation UI has been rebuilt.

Monster Tweaks
- A few monsters have had their attacks switched to split damage in Tier 2 and pure damage in Tier 3.
- Vanaduke's corpse now cleans up faster and with fancier graphics.

Gremlins on the Rise!
Something has riled up the gremlins in the Clockworks, causing them to send out even the littlest ankle-biters of the bunch to join their front lines!
A new series of levels called 'Gremlin Grounds' will now appear in the Clockworks.
New gremlin monsters will now appear in Gremlin Grounds and missions:
- Knocker
- Lighter
- Cooler
- Jumper
- Joker
Don't be fooled by their diminutive size- these horrible helpers will turn their tools against any knight they cross!

Last edited by ZPE: 03-07-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Updated Title
Old 02-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Vlad ze Impaler

My first impressions of the mission system isn't very favorable, as a veteran of the game anyway.

I suspect this addition was mostly for beginner players; Steam statistics/achievements show a massive drop-off for new players when first playing the game: only 58% of players actually make it to Haven while only 35% reach the first Clockworks Terminal (depth 4), 27% of all players deposit any minerals into gates, and finally only 17% of all players actually reach Moorcraft Manor. Granted those stats are for Steam players but they provide an interesting (and probably very accurate) picture nonetheless.

This is a pretty much on-rails system that keeps new players progressing without having to think too much of how to do things. Which is great! Without new blood the game can only go so far.

However, as a returning vet who has been inactive for a while, this isn't enough. So far the missions aren't new levels at all; they're existing levels with a razor-thin plot added on top. There is exactly nothing new - so far - except for the rewards/rank system.

I'll keep going for a bit to see if there's anything actually "new" in terms of content (not counting those new gremlin levels), but so far I'm a bit disappointed.

Last edited by Vlad ze Impaler: 02-22-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: typo
Vlad ze Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
ZPE

Yeah, I share the same impressions. I am quite annoyed that the Argent Peacemaker is now effectively a better version of my Polaris. Not sure if Vanaduke is weak to piercing at any point but that's the reason why I got that gun. In the end, it doesn't really matter if I'm not playing the game as I once did.
ZPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
firewing

Anyone else getting weird graphical issues on the login screen? It looks very blocky and white. I've validated my files, restarted steam, restarted my computer - nothing helps. Other games play fine.

EDIT: Nevermind, the 2nd update they released fixed it.

Last edited by firewing: 02-22-2012 at 08:32 PM.
firewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Cyo67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPE View Post
Yeah, I share the same impressions. I am quite annoyed that the Argent Peacemaker is now effectively a better version of my Polaris. Not sure if Vanaduke is weak to piercing at any point but that's the reason why I got that gun. In the end, it doesn't really matter if I'm not playing the game as I once did.
Blitz>AP. Always and forever.
And yes, Vana is weak to piercing. A charge shot from Blitz deals about 1200+ damage to him.

Also, this just made the game a whole lot cooler.
Cyo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Punishment

I have mixed feelings about this. Yes, this is a much better way to organize the game, but as a veteran player, all these missions are way to basic for my tastes. I'm hoping there will be some challenges later on though.
Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
cakewalker

I like the idea, but there is still a lot missing.

edit:

Even though these missions are easy I like it so far.
Some of the 'new' levels are poorly designed though. They could have some more detail.
This seems all a bit rushed, hopefully then will enrichen the mission level design and stories.

Last edited by cakewalker: 02-23-2012 at 12:47 PM.
cakewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
ZPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punishment View Post
I have mixed feelings about this. Yes, this is a much better way to organize the game, but as a veteran player, all these missions are way to basic for my tastes. I'm hoping there will be some challenges later on though.
If I started new to the game, I would've loved the rewards on offer. I remember struggling for crowns to get the 2-star stuff and the missions make it easy to get relatively good gear early on without the pain of planning through everything just so you don't set yourself back a few days because you happened to buy something that was useless in tier 2.

As it stands, it's helping me play the game more so I'm happy in general with the way it's been laid out. The rewards are pretty much redundant for us veterans and running the missions on CE (the ones that require it) is not a good idea.

Also, I hate server reboots. :<
Old 02-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #9
Punishment

Don't get me wrong, this is great for newer players. If this was in place back when I first started, I would have enjoyed it immensely. I'm still holding out hope for more advanced missions at some point.
Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:07 AM   #10
Wacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad ze Impaler View Post
My first impressions of the mission system isn't very favorable, as a veteran of the game anyway.

I suspect this addition was mostly for beginner players; Steam statistics/achievements show a massive drop-off for new players when first playing the game: only 58% of players actually make it to Haven while only 35% reach the first Clockworks Terminal (depth 4), 27% of all players deposit any minerals into gates, and finally only 17% of all players actually reach Moorcraft Manor. Granted those stats are for Steam players but they provide an interesting (and probably very accurate) picture nonetheless.

This is a pretty much on-rails system that keeps new players progressing without having to think too much of how to do things. Which is great! Without new blood the game can only go so far.

However, as a returning vet who has been inactive for a while, this isn't enough. So far the missions aren't new levels at all; they're existing levels with a razor-thin plot added on top. There is exactly nothing new - so far - except for the rewards/rank system.

I'll keep going for a bit to see if there's anything actually "new" in terms of content (not counting those new gremlin levels), but so far I'm a bit disappointed.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPE View Post
If I started new to the game, I would've loved the rewards on offer. I remember struggling for crowns to get the 2-star stuff and the missions make it easy to get relatively good gear early on without the pain of planning through everything just so you don't set yourself back a few days because you happened to buy something that was useless in tier 2.

As it stands, it's helping me play the game more so I'm happy in general with the way it's been laid out. The rewards are pretty much redundant for us veterans and running the missions on CE (the ones that require it) is not a good idea.

Also, I hate server reboots. :<
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, this is great for newer players. If this was in place back when I first started, I would have enjoyed it immensely. I'm still holding out hope for more advanced missions at some point.
Nothing to add. My sentiments exactly.
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #11
Egomaster

Big fail in my humble opinion.
I reached level 5, completed around 40 missions, never found a party or anybody else who joined mine.
Not a problem for me but I don't see how a newbie could be helped
Egomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #12
Kuzah

Really digging the new aesthetics.

I wish I had this kind of thing to point me in the right direction while making it easier to obtain some gear and then granting us clearance through the rank missions. Certainly helps the new players out there. I can't complain about getting decent UVed T1 LD gear for free.

Aside from just helping new players it also give me the option to play the game at two to three depths at a time instead of needing to do an entire tier in one go and also having to unlock the tier before hand (the crown fee).

Overall I think this is a great addition to the game as a whole. I'm sure they'll expand and add more to it like when Blast Network first came out.
Kuzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
ZPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egomaster View Post
Big fail in my humble opinion.
I reached level 5, completed around 40 missions, never found a party or anybody else who joined mine.
Not a problem for me but I don't see how a newbie could be helped
I hate doing the missions alone even if they're a cakewalk, the problem is you need to start together at the lobby if I'm correct and not a lot of people wait around for that to happen. I've never done any of the missions in a random PUG, a few with a friend which was alright but he's a long-timer too and it was pretty dull stuff. The missions are getting a little more challenging though, tried a few with the relevant tier gear and it was decent but nothing that engaging.

Having said that, it's got me playing at least for a good hour or so on a regular basis again. Not sure how long this will last though.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #14
NobodyisCool

havnt played this at all but sounds alot like what SPUF used to do
NobodyisCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
ZPE

New missions released (goes up to rank 9-4; tier 3) and a few nerfs on the premium gear (which some people are crying about). Interested to see what rewards the missions give, makes my effort of acquiring 4* and 5* gear all the more pointless I'm guessing.

Quote:
Missions

- Added over 30 Rank Missions through rank 9-4, allowing you to achieve the rank of Vanguard.
- Prestige Mission rewards payouts adjusted for exchange-style missions.

Items

- Dark Reprisal, Dark Reprisal Mk II and Dark Retribution bombs have received a damage decrease and a speed reduction to their orbiting bullets.
- More items have been added to the Supply Depot.

Operation Crimson Hammer

- Added an all-new, free "Aftermath" level following 'Engines of War'
- A number of collision space fixes in Operation Crimson Hammer, including one in which players could become fatally stuck inside of Gremlin bunkers.
- Engines of War - Increased Warmaster Seerus' health
- Engines of War - fixed Battlepod corpses disappearing between stages during the boss fight
- Clear the Gatehouse - Removed material exploit in the bonus loot closet
- Seerus hammer explosion damage has been decreased
http://forums.spiralknights.com/en/node/46386

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Spiral Knights