Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Darkness II, The

Old 02-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
readme.txt

UK retail version in germany ...

So, I usually buy retail versions of games in the UK even though I live in germany. It's cheaper and it's the regular version unlike the german low violence versions.

So the game arrived today and when I entered my serial steam told me "that version of the game is not available in your country" ... I checked the amazon.uk page again and there is no mention of this game not working in different countries.

I would even settle with the low violence version but I have no idea what im supposed to do now.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
H.A.M.mer

Quote:
Originally Posted by readme.txt View Post
So, I usually buy retail versions of games in the UK even though I live in germany. It's cheaper and it's the regular version unlike the german low violence versions.

So the game arrived today and when I entered my serial steam told me "that version of the game is not available in your country" ... I checked the amazon.uk page again and there is no mention of this game not working in different countries.

I would even settle with the low violence version but I have no idea what im supposed to do now.
Having the exact same problem:
UK-retail version does not activate with german steam account.

Interesting thing is that the AT-retail (Austria) which is also uncut activates fine with a german account.

Perhaps this is just a bug of some kind. Otherwise there is always the possibility of activating such games with an US/UK-ip using VPN/proxy-services.
H.A.M.mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
darksaga666

same here.
had a phonecall to 2k support uk.
They are aware of this problem and working on a solution.

Quote:
Otherwise there is always the possibility of activating such games with an US/UK-ip using VPN/proxy-services.
Only if you take a look in your steamapps common folder after.
darksaga666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Gilgamar

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaga666 View Post
same here.
had a phonecall to 2k support uk.
They are aware of this problem and working on a solution.
There is no ETA on that solution, I suppose?

But thanks for the info nevertheless
Gilgamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
CyberRage

Is this kind of behavior from an American company even allowed by the European Union? This has to be absolutely ridicilous. Russian version not working is one thing, but European versions getting blocked is taking it way too far.
CyberRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
gxs

I've been in contact with tech support from Friday.
They were sure that it would be fixed together with another problem (game not available in some countries) so they didn't even even acknowledge that it was a separate issue (game locked).

We'll see how it goes.
gxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
TheSaint7182

An interesting aspect is that it seems that this situation sounds like a surprise for 2K. Somebody said, that 2K was not suprised in a positive way and that they didn't want any kind of region lock on their products. So what ist STEAM / Valve doing with the product of this publisher? Do they decide things by themself which they are not allowed to???
TheSaint7182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
gxs

Well the answer from Valve was a canned You purchased a region locked,... response so they are no help at all as usual. I'll see what 2k has to say about it tomorrow.
gxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
Cyrielx2

Hate to say this but afaik Steam has a very strict policy regarding regional locked games.

Not sure if it was this game or a different one but visiting the store page a while back it had a message in orange that said something like "this game will not update or run for users with a german IP adress."

It might be worded entirely different, thus changing the meaning of the sentence but in short, it did say something about restricting based on location.

Hopefully this doesn't apply to you, but yeah. If that's the case, then importing / trading games won't work in the future either.
Cyrielx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
Gilgamar

There is nothing in the UK store saying that.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
Cyrielx2

Again, not sure if it was this game but i figured steam is putting more restricting means to uphold laws in different regions.
Cyrielx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:15 AM   #12
Gilgamar

Then Steam should do it right or stop it, because there is no law prohibiting me, an adult of 27 years, to buy a game from the United Kingdom and play it.
I bought this game, have it lying around here and can't do anything with it. That's not how it's supposed to be.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:22 AM   #13
Isegrim74

Same Problem: Preordered at amazon.co.uk - arrived on Saturday and now is rotten besides my computer. It's very angry. Amazon has no infomration about region lock. Carefully I start to hate Steam.

@Valve/Steam: Fix this problem and stop this region lock deasaster. for us honestly cutomers it's not an option.
Isegrim74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:27 AM   #14
Hookk

Same problem here, so far no response from steam support...
Hookk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #15
ShadowfiedX

I live in Sweden, I pre-ordered the limited edition of The Darkness II From Amazon.co.uk. I got the same message first and couldn't activate it. I managed to get it activated following this tutorial, but instead of connecting to a Russian server I chose a UK one.

bit.ly/waXCGt
(I bit.ly'd the link cause Steam won't allow linking)

And no I'm no fake spammer or anything, just helping you out.

Edit: Can't play it. "This game was activated in another region" bullsh*t and won't let me play unless im in that region. Time to contact Valve.

Last edited by ShadowfiedX: 02-13-2012 at 07:35 AM.
ShadowfiedX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Darkness II, The