Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Wargame: European Escalation

Old 02-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #16
Oliolli

I didn't find it at all difficult to learn And I played in the beta, before any type of tutorial was implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saru View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Jump in MP, learn the ropes. The game is new. Believe me, we all have lots to learn. Most importantly, don't be afraid to lose!
This is pure wisdom and applies to every single game out there. One cannot stress enough the importance of losing! This is how we redefine our tactics and previous methods to make them more suitable for the next encounter with the enemy, and most importantly of all, how to play the game =))))))
I have to agree with this. This is the sort of game where Dwarf Fortress' motto comes in handy: Losing is fun.
Oliolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #17
zettaibaka

Please post this on the official Wargame forums too - their support team seems to actively read the forums. Let them know.

I agree, the tutorial element isn't up to modern standards in terms of helpfulness. Company of Heroes had a much smoother tutorial. The UI is kind of clunky too; I hope they improve it in future patches.

Even the manual itself seems to have some errors. The manual says that A is the shortcut for attack-move, but for me, A just moves the camera to the left.

Last edited by zettaibaka: 02-23-2012 at 10:50 PM.
zettaibaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:06 AM   #18
Kaedish

I'm a little more than casual player, but not hardcore by any means. As a matter-of-fact, I am a pretty bad gamer. So, is it as tough as Men of War SP? I can't even get past the first level on some of the factions in that one. I know they are different games, but I mean in terms of complexity.
Kaedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:08 AM   #19
deanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrath625 View Post
three tries to get through the first mission? WHAT?
No brag, just fact:

http://www.twitch.tv/eddyvegasgames/b/309541342

DC

Last edited by deanco: 02-24-2012 at 01:32 AM.
deanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:26 AM   #20
mithie

This game does have a tutorial.

There are pop-up hints which are littered throughout the first few missions.

If anything, this game is deceptively simple in terms of controls and interface. Camera movement is pretty standard for RTS games, you right click to move, and there's not much in terms of micromanagement aside from the occasional weapons toggle and grouping arrangements.

Quote:
I'm a little more than casual player, but not hardcore by any means. As a matter-of-fact, I am a pretty bad gamer. So, is it as tough as Men of War SP? I can't even get past the first level on some of the factions in that one. I know they are different games, but I mean in terms of complexity.
It's not like Men of War, where you have to memorize the penetration tables of every tank in the game and individually manage every soldier's inventory. It is no where near as complex as Men of War, but still has a similar depth in strategy.

The controls are easy to pickup. The concepts have been abstracted to a degree that's easily understandable. (Fuel, ammo, supplies, etc, are all abstracted into one resource).

Here, warfare is abstracted enough to make it an easy game to pick up, but has enough depth to make it a difficult game to master. The real complexity of this game doesn't show up until a few dozen games in mp, really. I wouldn't say it's hardcore at all.

Now, trying to thread an 88 mm shot through a city block to hit a T-34/85 through its side turret shot trap while frantically checking every bush for the guy who fired that rocket shot which you may or may not have seen in Men or War, that's hardcore.

Last edited by mithie: 02-24-2012 at 01:32 AM.
mithie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:48 AM   #21
Wizeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanco View Post
I don't know if you're being funny or if you serious think finishing the first mission in three times is good.
I did it in one, and I'm sure a lot more did it in one try, not bragging here either.

How is real time in this game barely manageable? Especially in SP you have quite a few number of units so it really shouldn't be difficult to give orders and attack/defend in real time.

I was in the beta, so of course I now know what to do, but we did not have a campaign in the beta. So I didn't know what to do at first either.
Just play online, join a 3vs3 game preferably, cause then you can just around a little and have two others do the attacking/defending.
Who cares if you lose, this is how you learn the game, by playing it.
Wizeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:01 AM   #22
mithie

The campaign is pretty easy, actually. You just need to exploit the fact that the AI is passive as hell.

Just recon well and artillery the out of every village/forest with red stuff in them.
mithie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:12 AM   #23
Validuz

Find it rather odd since you mentioned CoH as a game with less micro. I used to play that with religeous zeal (hardcore clan etc) and let me tell you. This game is -alot- slower paced than CoH <.<
Validuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:56 AM   #24
Oliolli

I have to agree with mithie. Wargame is actually quite simple in terms of RTS games. If you know the basic controls to an average RTS game, you know them for Wargame. It's just the slightly more advanced concepts here and there that make it different.

Men of War, Hearts of Iron... THOSE are complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithie View Post
Now, trying to thread an 88 mm shot through a city block to hit a T-34/85 through its side turret shot trap while frantically checking every bush for the guy who fired that rocket shot which you may or may not have seen in Men or War, that's hardcore.
Unless you're trying to literally shoot through a city block (as in through the buildings) that is quite easy. 88mm AP projectiles have great accuracy and penetration.
Oliolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:57 AM   #25
Wizeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliolli View Post
I have to agree with mithie. Wargame is actually quite simple in terms of RTS games. If you know the basic controls to an average RTS game, you know them for Wargame. It's just the slightly more advanced concepts here and there that make it different.

Men of War, Hearts of Iron... THOSE are complex.
Well to be honest Hearts of Iron is a completely different kind of RTS game.
And Men of War is more micromanagement, placing your infrantry and tanks just right, using grenades etc.
Wizeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:49 AM   #26
scrahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish0p View Post
uhm.. Not everyone likes multiplayer with spammers, cry babies, kids, more cry babies and hackers.. I like a game that lasts hours. Online it's always a race to destruction.. I like enjoying the extended chaos and massive battles, that can generally only be choreographed in single player. No SP for me.. unfortunately. Until some blacklist options become standard for these kind of games I just don't play them online. To much crying..
You do realize you come off as a massive crybaby?

Anyway, you don't have to respond to people that behave in a way you don't like (you can often /ignore them). A mature person would just shrug off any baseless insults thrown at them online.

An immature person would blame others for his lack of patience and fear of challenge, and call anyone better than him for no-life kids and hackers.

I suspect you have issues with losing to what you perceive as cheap tactics, but you can adapt to cheap stuff. And when you find yourself easily brushing off stuff that would have killed you before, you'll know that you've grown as a player.
This growth simply does not happen in singleplayer (A.I is predictable no matter how well it's programmed). You're missing out on a LOT of enjoyment.

But of course; some people don't want to grow. They don't want to adapt. They want the world to adapt to them -- which is silly.

Last edited by scrahn: 02-24-2012 at 05:57 AM.
scrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #27
Tiax

Quote:
I went ahead and bought it because someone told me the real time is 'manageable'. It isn't. Given the small number of units at your disposal, there isn't a global view of your units. And the SP difficulty is through the roof. 3 tries to get through the first mission, and the 2nd mission appears impossible, as the enemy units never stop coming once you get the initial crossroads. But whatever. I'm regretting it although I will milk a few dozen hours out of it getting past the 3rd mission I guess.
I'm sorry, but this is not due to a "through the roof" difficulty, it's simply that you're bad at this game.

The first mission is extremely easy (hell, it's a tutorial), I didn't even *knew* if was possible to fail it.

Maybe you suck at strategy, but then again maybe you should have *checked* what the game was about before purchasing it.
Tiax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #28
Kevorkian680

All i did was ask other players ingame what to do and they helped me in mp, and as for the sp campaign the first mission is pretty much a tutorial.
Kevorkian680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #29
GenericAmerican

Quote:
I went ahead and bought it because someone told me the real time is 'manageable'. It isn't. Given the small number of units at your disposal, there isn't a global view of your units. And the SP difficulty is through the roof. 3 tries to get through the first mission, and the 2nd mission appears impossible, as the enemy units never stop coming once you get the initial crossroads. But whatever. I'm regretting it although I will milk a few dozen hours out of it getting past the 3rd mission I guess.
Global view? How about you zoom all the way out, you can see the whole map and all units.

And if it took you 3 tries for anything single player, strategy games are not for you. Seriously, first mission you have leopards against T-34/85's, that is like U.S. Navy Seals fighting musketeers.
GenericAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #30
delastone

Quote:
If I may about the second mission... I did fail the first time... but then I thought : "what the hell with the mission . There is after all not time limit so let's dance". Think Different. You are the leader here.

Just take your time and do not rush middle at first. Invade the two zone west of your position. They are not defended. Then rush into the position at the west. Ignore the center still. Do not take it. Wait a little bit to have all your command vehicles to take those points. When you have acquired them just scout Charlie and rush it with 8 tanks. Easy take. Then take the center.

Then a 13 stars winning.

There is no rush... Why would you like to rush if your ennemy do not hassle you. Just take position.
Your ground, your rules.
Do not forget that the game is about primary objectives and also about secondary ones. Just make it happen that way

Last edited by delastone: 02-24-2012 at 02:21 PM.
delastone is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Wargame: European Escalation