Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mirror's Edge

Old 02-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
DazJW

This game is currently unavailable ( Application running ).

I've just bought the game as it's 75% off today and I've run into a problem.
When I try to start the game I get a Steam dialog with the following message:
This game is currently unavailable ( Application running ).

This makes it sound like the game might be already running or clashing with something else that's running but there aren't any processes for the game in the task manager and I don't have anything else running other than my firewall. I tried disabling the firewall anyway and it didn't fix the issue.

I've worked though this Steam support article with no success and done some searching for the message which hasn't helped.
And I can't find anything relating to the message specifically when it has ( Application running ) at the end.

Because of Steam's no refund terms (Android market can refund but Steam can't, what's that about? Is it even legal?) it looks like I'm stuck with it so does anyone know of anything else I can try?

Last edited by DazJW: 02-23-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Backlash

once you buy and download the software, it's used/open. not many places will allow returns on opened software.
yes, it's legal to refuse a refund on software. Android is well... android. google don't follow the rules, hence the lawsuits they are losing left and right all around the world.
anyway..

I'd suggest shutting Steam down, and restart the PC. stop/start steam may not clear it out completely.
It may not be something like "Mirrorsedge.exe" running, but some off the wall named program running thats causing the error.

and I noticed at least right now, the "Featured" page on Steam shows an error, but steam works if you navigate away from that page.

Don't worry about a refund.. odds are there is something that can be done to fix the problem.
Backlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:44 AM   #3
DazJW

No services are appearing when I try to start the game (i.e. the game isn't starting and crashing) so I'm inclined to think it's a Steam problem but with it being a third party game there's no option in the support system to contact them about it.

I've done these so far and tried the game again after each one:
Restart Steam.
Restart PC.
Force Steam to remake ClientRegistry.blob.
Force Steam to re-update itself by deleting everything but Steam.exe and the steamapps folder.
Checked nothing is set to read only.
Verified the game's cache files.
Uninstalled PhysX.
Reinstalled PhysX from the version that comes with Mirror's Edge.
Updated PhysX to the newest version.
Updated my video card drivers to the newest version.
Updated DirectX to the newest version.
Disabled every service that isn't part of Windows (I'm particular about what services are running on my PC so I know which are always there).
Start the game from the .exe in the steamapps folder.
Try compatibility mode on the .exe in the steamapps folder.

I'm going to try transferring it to another PC (which isn't a solution because it won't be my PC, but it'll show if it's capable of working) and will try a full re-download of everything but other than that I've run out of ideas to try.
DazJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:36 AM   #4
DazJW

Tried it on another PC and it ran perfectly fine, tried re-downloading on my PC and it still doesn't work.

I've also just installed Unreal Tournament 3 and I'm getting the same message from that even though it used to work on this PC (I uninstalled it because I was running out of HDD space).

I noticed UT3.exe was appearing in the task manager and tried Mirror's Edge again to find it's also appearing in the task manager before giving the error which I suppose is progress of a sort.
They're both Unreal Engine games too which is interesting, I wonder if it's relevant.

I've just tried my standalone install of UT3 and it popped up a message about needing to update my video card drivers. I double checked the driver version and I was using ones that were well out of date, for some reason the Nvidia site had sent me to 1.8 when the drivers are up to 2.5 now.
I installed the new drivers but Steam UT3 and Mirror's Edge still give the same error. Standalone UT3 works fine so Steam is involved in the problem somehow.

Last edited by DazJW: 02-25-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
Movistar_GSX

I was having the same issue with Alan Wake. Try adding the Mirror's Edge .exe to your anti-virus' exclusions/exceptions list, it's what solved my issue.

Hope this helps.
Movistar_GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
DazJW

I don't have an anti-virus, just a firewall and they're already added to that.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:47 AM   #7
TitanioVerde

Same error here. I checked the Task Manager and disabled the antivirus, but the error is always the same.
Anyway I wasn't going to play it soon.
TitanioVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
icdtdoomtrain

did anyone find a solution?
icdtdoomtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
DazJW

Nope, mine's still not working.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
LyteSpawn

I had that problem too, I just had to restart Steam for it to get fixed.
Now that I think about it, I feel pretty embarrassed for sending a ticket.
LyteSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #11
TitanioVerde

There's still not official solution?
I didn't open Steam for more than a month, but I got no updates (except for the Steam client). And Mirror's Edge is not opening, as always.
TitanioVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
tyroney

Mine's been unavailable (running) for months now. I've reinstalled many things, deleted blobs, and all sorts of stuff. I guess I'll try redist files next time I get inspired, but for now I'll just give up for a few more weeks.
tyroney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #13
stevethepocket

It's probably not going to help, but I'm curious. Those of you who have this issue, do any of you happen to have Origin?
stevethepocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #14
dnschneid

Nope, no Origin here. The odd thing is that while I can't get it to run under Windows (same as OP's issue), it actually starts okay on Linux under Wine (until it eventually crashes after the tutorial level).
dnschneid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #15
DazJW

I did install Origin at one point but I uninstalled it again.
If you're thinking it might be an EA thing that wouldn't explain why it's happening for me with UT3 too.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mirror's Edge