Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V > Steam Workshop for Skyrim

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 02-24-2012, 04:19 AM   #1
badmeme

Failed to download a subscribed file! Steam error 16

Hi All!

I've been playing skyrim alot. Just recently i found out about the new workshop and mods. I'm done with all the main questlines in skyrim so I thought I'd give it a go.
First i subscribed to more than 50 mods (how could I know :P). Now I trimmed it down alot but still I'm getting an error when I open Skyrim.
It says: Failed to download a subscribed file! Steam Error 16

I already got couple of mods loaded but ofcourse I want to play the rest to.
Is this a common error? I've been searching on the forums but I couldn't find anything.

I hope someone can help me

Great, now a new error has arrived. I'm still getting the 'Failed to download a subscribed file' Although a few other mods has been added. Now i can't even play skyrim anymore. It does start up, but when I'm actually pressing continue to get into the game it shuts itself down.... :-(

Last edited by badmeme: 02-24-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
TheVagrantWolf

Take it down to about 40 mods, start the launcher, get it to clear things as they are, then resubscribe to no more than about 48 mods in total.

I've had that issue and that's how I fixed it. Yeah, the Workshop on the clientside is making me want to strangle someone.
TheVagrantWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
badmeme

Thanks for the reply VagrantWolf. I tried what you said and it didn't work :/. I'm now subscribed to 39 mods and I can't get into the actual game.
badmeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
Breton Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmeme View Post
Thanks for the reply VagrantWolf. I tried what you said and it didn't work :/. I'm now subscribed to 39 mods and I can't get into the actual game.
Try to unsubscribe from them, it will not remove them from your game, just stop the checking for auto updating and you may find it gets sorted?

I've got about 30/40 Workshop mods on top of some from the Nex and a good few of my own, but no Workshop mods are left as subscribed because basically there really is no need to leave them subscribed once you download.

I just check every so often to see in any mod I really, really like has been updated, just like we all did before any Mod Manager utility added auto-checking. Much preffered the non-auto updating method as then you the 'player' has full control over what is happening.
Breton Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
badmeme

Good point however it didn't work.

Unsubscribed to all mods. I don't get a error message anymore but it still won't load into an actual game. Restarted Steam to but didn't help :/. I'm getting sick of this.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Breton Warrior

Quote:
Good point however it didn't work.

Unsubscribed to all mods. I don't get a error message anymore but it still won't load into an actual game. Restarted Steam to but didn't help :/. I'm getting sick of this.
Damn, oh well next idea, have you tried to validate your local cache with Steam. You may have picked up a file error somewhere so a check of your files is the next thing to try, it might re-do the .ini's so if it starts you will see the 'detecting video' blah blah, so try to remember any .ini changes you did.

BTW: You often see 'back-up' your .ini comments which is a big Must Do, But only when you have everything running 100% the way you want, if you save your .ini when you have problems that problem could actually be in the .ini itself? Some mods do add .ini changes so a backup of the Vanilla .ini is a big Must Do as well.

PS: Does your Skyrim not start at all? or is it just not loading a 'save', not at all can be caused by very different reasons than just a 'save' not loading. If it is the save, try going back to an earlier save as 'corrupt saves' is a well known Beth problem, also if you turned off a mod that has an .ESM that can stop some saves from loading.

Last edited by Breton Warrior: 02-25-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
badmeme

I'm sorry I really am a complete noob. I don't really know what you mean, did you mean checking the integrity of the gamecache through Steam?
I don't know what .ini files are but I did get the 'detecting video' message. And Skyrim does start up but it just doesn't load a save, I've tried several now.

Thanks alot btw for your help and patience. I do appreciate it.

Maybe it's as simple as restarting my computer. I'm off for now though, will try again tomorrow.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
Breton Warrior

Quote:
I'm sorry I really am a complete noob. I don't really know what you mean, did you mean checking the integrity of the gamecache through Steam?
I don't know what .ini files are but I did get the 'detecting video' message. And Skyrim does start up but it just doesn't load a save, I've tried several now.

Thanks alot btw for your help and patience. I do appreciate it.

Maybe it's as simple as restarting my computer. I'm off for now though, will try again tomorrow.
Yes spot-on checking integrity of gamecache through Steam, if you do not know what .ini files are do not worry about it, but if you are interested in how they can be used to change certain aspects of your game do a Google on .ini tweaks for Skyrim.

Sorry to say it does sound like corrupted saves and I'm afraid that can sometimes mean the only fix is to start again

(sorry but that is often the only way unless you can open a save right back near the beginning, if you can I would make a new save that you can identify in the 'load' screen and delete (X button) all the ones that did not work)

If you decide to do a complete 'new' start then open My Games in Documents, open the Skyrim folder and delete the 'saves' folder, that is the quickest way to get rid of all possible corrupt saves. BTW the .ini files are also in that My Games\Skyrim Folder, do find a good .ini tweaker guide as the more you know etc etc.

Last edited by Breton Warrior: 02-25-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
badmeme

Thanks for all the help Breton Warrior. So this means that by trying out Steam Workshop it somehow corrupted my saves and now I have to start all over.
I already did start over once because I wanted to make a different kind of character.

I can't seem to find a save that works, so I guess i should delete all of them. Seriously Steam, can't you properly test something before releasing? If you were to have a local shop I would give you your game back, through the glasswindow I mean. This really spoils the fun.

As I'm not quite ready to delete my saves I'm going to try and load different saves and leave this thread open. Maybe someone else has an idea or maybe a reply from steam (?!?!).

I hope for the best because I don't think I'm going to start playing Skyrim all over again...

Besides the slight rage-post here I do appreciate your help Breton Warrior.

Oh and btw Steam, please remove your text from the Steam Workshop banner saying 'finding and installing your favorite mods was never this easy' as it is a complete lie. Please be honest to your users and put up something like 'Well, these mods are really fun and it does work most of the times but then again it could completely f&^# up your game to, so just download at your own risk mkay?'

Last edited by badmeme: 02-26-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
creon100

I'm not convinced this has anything to do with a mod he has or how many mods he has. Just today I've been unable to add any new mod subscriptions. Every new mod I've tried to subscribe to today throws up the "Unable to download subscribed file! Steam Error 16" message." It doesn't crash the launcher and I am able to start the game and play - though it obviously doesn't add the new mod to the esp list or anything since it couldn't download it. It also is able to check the status of all of my previously subscribed mods fine, it just can't download new ones. My cache checks fine, and I only have about six mods installed along with the official Bethesday HD Texture pack.

Has anyone tried subscribing to a mod today that they hadn't already been subscribed to at some point to see if they get the same error. I'm ready to just delete the game, redownload it, and do all my modding through the nexus. Valve needs to get these Workshop issues fixed, as it's certainly not endearing itself to anyone at this rate.
creon100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
Bonker

A quick Google search suggests this has happened to people regardless of the number of mods. Some reports come from people who only have one mod installed.

I am having this problem with two specific mods. Dynamic Guards (which I don't even need) and Spend Dragon Souls For Perks, which I just attempted to add.
Bonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
vspeed

I wouldn't delete anything...

My guess is this is in some how related to the beta load order issue and is screwing up on Steams End...

Just run BOSS from the Nexus if you need to reorder your mods and give it a couple days...my money is on this getting fixed soon
vspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
vspeed

This issue just started today by the way for me as well
vspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
creon100

Quote:
Originally Posted by vspeed View Post
I wouldn't delete anything...

My guess is this is in some how related to the beta load order issue and is screwing up on Steams End...

Just run BOSS from the Nexus if you need to reorder your mods and give it a couple days...my money is on this getting fixed soon
If one does want to move to Nexus do we need to uninstall all the mods we currently have installed and do it through Nexus again? This isn't a huge issue for me since I don't have that many mods installed, but I'm just not sure how to go about moving from Workshop to Nexus.
creon100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #15
SabreXT

Happening to me too. I also noticed could sync issues and source games boot me out of multiplayer for "failed SteamID ticket". If I had to guess, it could be an issue on steams side. Has anyone tried with the Steam Beta Client yet?

Last edited by SabreXT: 02-26-2012 at 07:54 PM.
SabreXT is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V > Steam Workshop for Skyrim