Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Anno series

Old 02-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
rojimboo

Anno 2070 TAGES DRM FAQ

All the official information can be found here regarding activation limits and more:

http://forums-de.ubi.com/showthread....on-Limit-Faqs?

This information has been mentioned in several posts, but it might be useful to have its own thread to avoid confusion.

In summary:

You start off with three activations, in addition to the one you use up one in your initial installation. So technically an uninstalled copy of Anno has 4 activations.
  1. Unlimited OS reinstalls
  2. Unlimited GFX changes/installs
  3. Unlimited RAM changes/installs
  4. Upgrading a system
As you usually replace the CPU and an accompanying new architecture mobo, and maybe throw in a new SSD, all of this counts as one activation used up. The new GFX card and RAM is ignored.
Once you reach 0 activations, in 30 days you automatically get 1 more, each month until you reach 4 again.

If you need more, you have to use a phone to call Ubisoft support. You will either get more activations without hassle, or you will get them with some hassle.

Note that in many cases, the Anno 1404 information is shown, as it is still valid with Anno 2070.

Last edited by rojimboo: 07-14-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: OS reinstalls need not backed up TAGES folder, 4 activations instead of 3
Old 02-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
dmdilks

Here is some info on Activation that will help:

Main Page:
http://translate.googleusercontent.c...WPco9B-VtzItEA

Activation:
http://translate.googleusercontent.c...RICOZA96nXEc0Q
dmdilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Robotkio

I just feel like posting a little more information about requesting new activations. If you run out of activations and don't feel like waiting 30 days there's also a (translated from German) page that gives information on how to contact Ubisoft support to request new activations.

To summarize you'll need to contact them with key pieces of information:
  • The exact error you're getting.
  • Whether or not your version is digital or physical.
  • The CD key for your game.
  • A proof of purchase.

Then open up this page (read the "How Do I Use your Support Site? Is there a Site Tutorial?" if you want, it can't hurt) then click on the "Ask a Question" tab at the top. If it asks you to log in, you will have to log in with the Ubisoft account you used to set up your UPlay account.

At this point you can choose your platform and game in the first drop down, then the problem in the second. I would assume "Registration / Activation - any" would be the best option. Then you can fill in the information you gathered earlier along with a short description of the problem in general.

The error you get when you can't activate can, presumably, differ but will be the same issue at its root: your game will not activate and allow you to play. Sometimes it will just say an error occurred, it may say your key is in use by another user or that your activation limit has been exceeded.

You can find the CD key in different places depending on the version, if through Steam then you can find it on the games page in your library. If it's a physical copy you can find it on the manual that came with the game. If, like myself, you got it on Impulse/GameStop they email you the CD key.

The receipt seems the biggest hoop to jump through, but probably helps the most. Whether it's a scan or photograph of your retail receipt or a screenshot of the receipt email for digital copies it's important to have it attached to your submission.

I would suggest waiting a couple business days for Ubisoft support to get back to you after you have submitted your ticket.

If this doesn't work you can try and contact Ubisoft over the phone at one of the numbers listed on their Ubisoft International contact list page. I would recommend having as much of the aforementioned information on hand when you phone in.

-

Don't know if this will help anyone, but I hope it does.
Robotkio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
RikuoAmero

Banned
Ten years from now, Ubisoft will demand that you submit a notarised copy of your passport, driver's licence, birth certificate AND a DNA test (done by three different doctors, just to make sure), and even then, they will still reserve the right to say "No. You can't play the game you paid for".
Oh, and you must also allow them to VNC into your computer a script that will cause it to explode if you do something they think is pirate-related.
RikuoAmero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Tellarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuoAmero View Post
Ten years from now, Ubisoft will demand that you submit a notarised copy of your passport, driver's licence, birth certificate AND a DNA test (done by three different doctors, just to make sure), and even then, they will still reserve the right to say "No. You can't play the game you paid for".
Oh, and you must also allow them to VNC into your computer a script that will cause it to explode if you do something they think is pirate-related.
If you want to bash the drm, there are plenty of threads on these boards to do so. Please leave this thread as it is.
Tellarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
Robotkio

In light of the current sale I think this information should be on the front page again. Please refrain from complaining about the DRM in this thread, there are probably going to be a number of other threads for that anyway.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
Mike JezZ

Wait what? So if I suddently uninstall the game, I cannot? I need to contact ubisoft and ?

Bye bye anno.
Mike JezZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
Robotkio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike JezZ View Post
Wait what? So if I suddently uninstall the game, I cannot? I need to contact ubisoft and ?

Bye bye anno.
Sorry, I don't understand your question. You can uninstall the game and re-install the game as much as you want without having to contact Ubisoft so long as your hardware doesn't change.

Last edited by Robotkio: 03-15-2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: added "so long as your hardware doesn't change"
Old 03-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
Sparra

Quote:

Bye bye anno.
No...

You only need to contact Ubisoft in case you run out of INSTALLs, you can remove the game as many times as you want.
Sparra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
Robotkio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparra View Post
No...

You only need to contact Ubisoft in case you run out of INSTALLs, you can remove the game as many times as you want.
Sorry, right, if you run out of activations then you can't reinstall. If your hardware does not change you can uninstall and reinstall as much as you like without contacting Ubisoft.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
Silenttex

oh sweet thanks for posting this, i never knew the offical rules. This should be stickied
Silenttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
Mike JezZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparra View Post
No...

And how do I run out of installs?
Old 03-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
Silenttex

Quote:
And how do I run out of installs?
You don't run out of installations, you just run out of activations. If you change computers you lose one activation. when you run out of three you will get a new in 30 days, or you can call support.
Silenttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #14
Mike JezZ

Why even do this...

Will same happen if I buy it on a disc?
Old 03-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #15
Robotkio

Quote:
Why even do this...

Will same happen if I buy it on a disc?