Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Sonikku

My friend's Steam account was hijacked, in a very fishy way...

UPDATE ON THIS ISSUE: IT WAS NOT A STEAM-BAN!

This was caused by a third party that hijacked my friend's computer to take control of his Steam-account as well as other accounts associated to it. That person seems to have taken control using a program that's used for those that fancy the "SCP Foundation", a fictional writing-community, basically. BEFORE ANYONE ASSUMES SOMETHING: NO, SCP IS NOT BAD IN ANY WAY! THE CREATOR OF THIS GAME WHICH IS NOT ASSOCIATED TO SCP FOUNDATION DID THIS ALL BY HIMSELF!

There are some playable games of some of those SCP's on the web and supposedly, one of the files (which isn't a game; it's supposed to be "a modification" for another, actual game) contains a program to take control of one's PC. My friend downloaded this file today, not knowing it's causing harm (my antivirus even says it's harmless - I checked it just 'cause, didn't run it) and the person that's hijacked his account is using his own Support account against himself, writing fake replies from Steam support to my friend.

Proof for that: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22947010/furycon/Untitled.png <- Notice how the supposed replies aren't green and how they say "Reply from you" (Antwort von Ihnen) to them? That means Steam support didn't answer.

So, basically, the hijacker told him his account was banned for him (my friend) doing hijacking with it. That's one cheeky bastard...

Thanks to Silicon Vampire for pointing that out!

Last edited by Sonikku: 02-24-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Sonikku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardkorn View Post
Only Steam Support can help him.

https://support.steampowered.com/register.php?
His Support-account was closed without the possibility of appealing to the ban at all. He would probably have the same happen to him now if he did create a new support-account now to appeal to that.

It's just frustrating because he didn't do any hijacking, I'm sure of that, and his account has freaking 529 games on it which he accumulated through the years, generally loving Steam for how nice it is. But now he sees it like it's just random as for what you may get banned, even without your doing.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
ChrisW

It says he was last online an hour ago, so I don't believe his account is banned.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
teknogeek12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonikku View Post
His Support-account was closed without the possibility of appealing to the ban at all. He would probably have the same happen to him now if he did create a new support-account now to appeal to that.

It's just frustrating because he didn't do any hijacking, I'm sure of that, and his account has freaking 529 games on it which he accumulated through the years, generally loving Steam for how nice it is. But now he sees it like it's just random as for what you may get banned, even without your doing.
I feel for your friend, Sadly, User's can't help him. The only thing he can do is create another support account and attempt to appeal the ban again.

Look at it from support's perspective, the account was "hijacking" Using your friend's IP, it looks suspicious and they can't just take his word.

Sorry.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
Hardkorn

I'm sorry, I did not read that he had contacted the support already.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
Sonikku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
It says he was last online an hour ago, so I don't believe his account is banned.
He was banned just before that time. He's banned since an hour ago, basically. Since he's offline.

I should probably remove the topic because of the sticky at the top of the page saying "nope" to such threads. Eh.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
Silicon Vampire

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
Also, the forums can not help with account issues.

Especially those brought here by third parties.

I'm re-opening this as I think there is a chance your friends account was hijacked and the messages he thinks are from support are actually the hijacker.

Last edited by Silicon Vampire: 02-24-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
teknogeek12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon Vampire View Post
I'm re-opening this as I think there is a chance your friends account was hijacked and the messages he thinks are from support are actually the hijacker.
How would that work..? I'm just curious as the support messages he linked are to an actual support ticket on support.steampowered.com

Edit: It appears the link is broken, but that's what it was anyway, an Image of a actual support ticket.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
Sonikku

Quote:
Also, the forums can not help with account issues.

Especially those brought here by third parties.

How is that possible? Can you explain? On PM if possible. I'll tell my friend about this.

Edit: Reposting the link again, here and in the OP's post: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22947010/furycon/Untitled.png

Notice the strange thing about it saying "Nachricht von ihnen" in the reply?

Last edited by Sonikku: 02-24-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
Silicon Vampire

Volunteer Moderator
Support does not answer in that short of time-frame. That's the biggest clue.

I'd bet his whole computer has been compromised along with any account info he has typed or has stored.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
Sonikku

Quote:
Support does not answer in that short of time-frame. That's the biggest clue.

I'd bet his whole computer has been compromised along with any account info he has typed or has stored.
YES, that's it! He's checked it again and the replies are HIS OWN. Like he's made them! But that's not possible! He's just checked that. Recheck this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22947010/furycon/Untitled.png

Notice how the supposed Support-answers say "Antwort von Ihnen", which means "Reply added by you" instead of "Reply by Steam support" (or the German equivalent)?

Last edited by Sonikku: 02-24-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #12
Silicon Vampire

Volunteer Moderator
He needs to get on this right away. Besides any other account info, he needs to use a different computer to start a new email addy and Steam support account.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
teknogeek12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonikku View Post
YES, that's it! He's checked it again and the replies are HIS OWN. Like he's made them! But that's not possible! He's just checked that. Recheck this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22947010/furycon/Untitled.png
As Silicon Vampire said, that is WAY to short of a timeframe for support to respond, note the responses from "Support" are coming about 2-3 minutes after your friend's reply.

His computer has possibly been compromised
Old 02-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
drnk

Also, why would they answer you in english if you requested help in german? Last time i made a support ticket in my own language (italian) they replied me in italian.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
darthvade

Same thing happened to me but steam refuses to help me,i've been hacked and steam dosnt give me back my account,my case is just like this one,please silicon vampire do something,my account id is darthvade569 ,please check in steam support my ticket. thank you
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips