Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > PAYDAY The Heist

Old 02-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
ChocoBalls

Banned
Lack of public games

When: 7:00PM on a Friday night
Where: My house, western area US
What: PAYDAY

Started the game up and looked for some public servers, only found 4 total with room for more players. Not very encouraging. Did I screw up when I bought this game? I was under the impression that there were a healthy number of PUGs to choose from. I don't have any friends that own this game, so right now private co-op is out of the question.

Do people largely avoid PUGs and stick with private matches? According to the player count, there were around 320 players online at the same time as me. They couldn't have all been playing private matches.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
ArcterZero

Make a game instead of trying to join one. It will fill just fine.

Benefits:
- you can choose to kick jerks if necessary
- you decide what level you play firsthand
- the game won't end from a host rage quitting (unless you rage quit)
- you get credit for any achievements / challenges that require you to be in the game from the start
- you get to be LIKE A BAWSS
ArcterZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
ChocoBalls

Banned
I suppose I could do that, although I tend to have "emergencies" pop up whenever I play an online game, so...

I should have researched the game a bit more. If I had realized MP was limited to matchmaking or co-op, I might have bought a different game. Oh well.
ChocoBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
WAWAMELONS

Yeah when I make the game myself it fills up pretty fast. I just got the game yesterday and have had no problems when making my own game.
WAWAMELONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
Jay667b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoBalls View Post
If I had realized MP was limited to matchmaking or co-op
I can't even fathom what else you expected.
Jay667b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
ArcterZero

Quote:
I suppose I could do that, although I tend to have "emergencies" pop up whenever I play an online game, so...

I should have researched the game a bit more. If I had realized MP was limited to matchmaking or co-op, I might have bought a different game. Oh well.
Matches don't last longer than 12-15 minutes. If you aren't available for that long at once, yeah, you may have problems. But are you really called away every five minutes? I don't see how you could play any multiplayer game without jarateing off most reasonable people.
ArcterZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
ChocoBalls

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay667b View Post
I can't even fathom what else you expected.
Oh, I don't know...maybe...dedicated servers? It couldn't be that difficult with this kind of MP game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcterZero View Post
Matches don't last longer than 12-15 minutes. If you aren't available for that long at once, yeah, you may have problems. But are you really called away every five minutes? I don't see how you could play any multiplayer game without jarateing off most reasonable people.
LOL, I was stretching the truth a bit there, but I do have a tendency to get interrupted quite a bit when I play online. Generally family members. It's like they just know when I'm occupied.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
Maddhamster

Quote:
Oh, I don't know...maybe...dedicated servers? It couldn't be that difficult with this kind of MP game.
Although they haven't yet, Overkill has mentioned that they are working on something similar to dedicated servers, if not dedicated servers in the near future.
Maddhamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #9
ChocoBalls

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddhamster View Post
Although they haven't yet, Overkill has mentioned that they are working on something similar to dedicated servers, if not dedicated servers in the near future.
That would be cool. They should add a semi-persistant game mode that implements some kind of team-versus-team heist action.

I actually just got done with my first online match. Ranked up with a bunch of players much better than myself, and they managed to tolerate me to the end. Fun game.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:29 AM   #10
TheEngiGuy

Also many people is waiting for the patch, be patient.
TheEngiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #11
Fuse_tm2

Even when I bought it during the Steam holiday sales this was often the case. Of course if I made a room it would usually fill up in under a minute.

There are plenty of players, don't worry. I know some of us (my self, for example) make terrible hosts, for various reasons. That can cause a little frustration if there doesn't happen to be a lobby with room right that second, but I've never had to spend more than a minute or two finding a game.

You also have to remember that, like 98% of the games out there these days, this is a cross-platform title. Sony doesn't want to be supporting servers for 4 PS3s to connect to each other when they can just P2P it.
Fuse_tm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #12
DMasterST

Quote:
Bummer
DMasterST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
KovarD

Quote:
should have researched the game a bit more. If I had realized MP was limited to matchmaking or co-op, I might have bought a different game. Oh well.
Oh...poor guy.....
KovarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
TaurusBully

Quote:

bailing on a game in progress is just as bad, maybe you shouldn't have bought it.
TaurusBully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #15
ChocoBalls

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusBully View Post
bailing on a game in progress is just as bad, maybe you shouldn't have bought it.
So what happens when a player bails on an ongoing match? Is he replaced by AI, or does his character just disappear?

There's a frustrating lack of information about this game - I haven't been able to track down a user manual, and the Steam forum seems to be the only place to get information. I can't even find a complete list of keyboard commands. Anybody got any decent links?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > PAYDAY The Heist