Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 02-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
dufflebag69

How does Steam Trading work?

I recently found out you can't trade activated games. This leads me to wonder, how do people have so many games to trade then? A thread like this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2562197

just amazes me. How could you have so many games sitting there not activated? Or is there some other way to trade I don't know about? I'm confused...
Old 02-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
amakegure

When buying a game there's a option to buy it as a gift,click it, then, in next screen select the "Store in my inventory" option. Buy it and the game wil be added to your games inventory.

Then, you can gift it to a friend, redeem it for yourself (In case you don't own it) or trade it.

Last edited by amakegure: 02-24-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: typo
amakegure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
obzidial

Banned
you can buy games from the steam store in gift form which means it goes to your steam invent and you can trade it. some websites sell game keys for cheap for example amazon also when christmas came around many games were given out for completing steam achievements or crafting coal
obzidial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
dufflebag69

ok, didn't know you can self-gift. thanks.

so what people do, I'm guessing, is buy games on sale and trade them later when their value goes up.
dufflebag69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
amakegure

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufflebag69 View Post
ok, didn't know you can self-gift. thanks.

so what people do, I'm guessing, is buy games on sale and trade them later when their value goes up.
Sadly, I've seen people asking full price for a game bought at -75% off.

Some people trade to gain "profit", others use the trading to get past regional restrictions, others just to get that game that was on sale and they couln't buy, some may want to get an item cheaper than the Store price, and a huge etc.
amakegure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
Quemical

Expect to see a lot of this if you ever decide to trade something.

"[H][Insert $40 game] [W]Offers"

"Offer: $2.50 game + SMNC + 25% Valve coupon?"

or

"[H] [$5 game that was just on sale] [W]Offers"

"Your offer: $20 game?"

"Reply: Your offer is too low, add another game and it's a deal"

Last edited by Quemical: 02-24-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Quemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
xSilverPhinx

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufflebag69 View Post
...and trade them later when their value goes up.
Or go down for some games. Trading for profit can be a bit risky, you can buy a game that's on sale for $3, find out that not only practically everybody who wanted it for themselves already bought it or traded for it, but that there are millions of traders who all had the same brilliant idea - hoard the game to trade.

You might buy an indie game that soon after goes into an indie bundle, then once again people who want it buy, and others hoard plenty of keys. If you buy a tradeable copy it can become practiacally worthless (this happened to Frozen Synapse and King Arthur, both games that cost $20-$30) Frozen Synapse was added to a bundle and King Arthur keys were given away practically for free.

So yeah, don't expect to sell/trade most games for their store value.
xSilverPhinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
freakn1ck

most people are trading cheap games. that's why they have so many.
there's always a daily deal that you can usually pick up for a few dollars, and people always are interested in trading stuff for tf2 items.
freakn1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #9
Hells High

In the beginning, crafty traders were able to trade off surplus TF2 items to get games. (That old story of the guy starting with a paper clip and ending up with a house, sort of thing.)

I wound up with a couple of rare TF2 items and a copy of Skyrim (during the pre-purchase stage) and MW3. Traded the rares off for a bunch of games I was looking at getting anyway, and same with Skyrim (already pre-ordered it) and MW3, which I had no interest in.

I calculated it out and I wound up with around $200 worth of games and didn't spend a dime.

Now its pretty screwed up, and you get people trying to trade coupons for brand new games.
Hells High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
xSilverPhinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells High View Post
In the beginning, crafty traders were
Now its pretty screwed up, and you get people trying to trade coupons for brand new games.
Some cases like:

Trading a coupon that will get you a $7,50 discount on X game for a new game (that nobody got a free giftable/tradeable copy during the Holiday achievements) that costs $10.

I don't know what's worse, that there are people trying those sorts of offers or all the people who do have + $10 games they didn't spend a penny on in their inventory and are looking to get rid of.

I think that trying to trade for a game is worthwhile if you're lucky enough to find someone willing to trade a copy they got on sale that you happened to miss for less than the store value (you buy them a tradeable game of their choice). There are other risks though, you never know if that copy you traded for will get revoked and removed from your library.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSilverPhinx View Post

I think that trying to trade for a game is worthwhile if you're lucky enough to find someone willing to trade a copy they got on sale that you happened to miss for less than the store value (you buy them a tradeable game of their choice). There are other risks though, you never know if that copy you traded for will get revoked and removed from your library.
Apologies if I've misinterpreted your post, but trades done within the official trading system WON'T be revoked. They are, for wont of a better description, guaranteed.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
TeKraken

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyfrog555 View Post
Apologies if I've misinterpreted your post, but trades done within the official trading system WON'T be revoked. They are, for wont of a better description, guaranteed.
I thought that they could be revoked, as in if a recharge by the original holder, you would then receive your original items back though?
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #13
Pheace

Quote:
This is not true actually. A steamgift you traded for can still be revoked. All it takes is for the game not to have been paid properly. And that can take months to find out/verify, and then your game can be revoked as a result, even though you simply traded items for a trad-able Steamgift.
Pheace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
flambeau2

Quote:
Sorry, but they can be revoked. It happened a lot during the past days, a guy bought a lot of Skyrim copies, traded them away and made a charge back for all those copies. Everybody who traded w/ that guy had his Skyrim revoked. However, if you open a ticket in such circumstances, support will return your items eventually

Also, if you traded for keys and the key is found not to be legit (as it happened w/ Dirt 3 and Dead Island keys) the game is revoked, although I don't know if Valve will return your items, because they do not support key trading

EDIT: ninja'ed
flambeau2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #15
xSilverPhinx

Scammers have found room to be more sophisticated than the simple person trying to trade non existent keys or PayPal money deposit (after the other goes first).

There are plenty of threads made by innocent people at the end of a long trading line who got their copies suddenly revoked because some person bought a copy and made a charge back after the game was traded, sometimes even more than once. There's really no way of knowing whether you're trading for one of those unpaid for copies, trade window only guarantees that you see that you're receiving the game you want.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips