Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Blood Bowl series

Old 02-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
VoodooMike

New Edition Coming

If you're considering buying this game then you may want to wait until later this year - in addition to Cyanide having alluded to a new announcement (that's as much as you ever get from them as far as information goes) Amazon listed "Blood Bowl - Chaos Edition" as an upcoming title from Focus/Cyanide, and Cyanide's own people called it a "leak" rather than a lie.

The main reason you may want to wait is that once a new edition comes out, any previous editions will be deprecated.. they'll still work, but it's unlikely old versions will be able to play with new versions (Dark Elf edition can't play with Legendary Edition at the moment, for example) and if the last release was any indication, most of the avid players will have upgraded early on, leaving you with little choice but to buy the new edition to continue playing.

The other side of that coin is that last time they released a new edition, Cyanide gave people who owned Dark Elf edition 33% off Legendary Edition, though I'm not sure if that was an offer extended via steam or not. If they remain true to that then getting Legendary Edition for about $10 may end up saving you more than $10 on Chaos Edition when it comes out.

Either way, just be aware that the versions available for purchase at the moment will almost certainly be useless by the end of the year. Make informed decisions!
Old 02-25-2012, 02:16 AM   #2
ChocoBalls

Banned
What a scam. Instead of updates in the form of reasonably-priced DLC, or better yet a free upgrade for previous owners, Cyanide have the gall to charge full price for these things. They're on my "do not buy" list precisely for this reason.

I encourage every Blood Bowl owner to boycott the new edition when it comes out.
ChocoBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:43 AM   #3
Matheau

There is no information about what Chaos Edition actually is. The difference between Dark Elf and Legendary edition was pretty big. Not a lot of DLC has more content then the original game. It also really isn't like they can just endlessly slap content into the game. Yeah, they could add more Blitz mode content, but very few people actually would care about that, so I doubt they would make an entire full edition around that.

Currently, the only things missing are four teams, a few star players, and some optional rules. Three of the missing teams are not acknowledged by Games Workshop at all (Slann, Underworld, Chaos Pact) and aren't included in the LRB. It is very, very unlikely those teams will ever be included because that would require Games Workshop acknowledging their existence and none of those teams really have much of a fan base. The fourth team missing is Chaos Dwarves, a moderately popular team that wasn't included because they would have taken a disproportionate amount of time to include.

If I had to guess based on Cyanide's past history, the Chaos Dwarves are going to be added as a free expansion and "Chaos Edition" is just a repackaged version of Legendary edition you don't actually need to buy if you already have it. Chaos Dwarves is really the only piece of content left that Games Workshop is likely to sign off and Cyanide would expect people to actually care about.

I am basing this guess on the fact this is exactly what happened when Dark Elves came out originally. All the people that already had the game got them as a free download and they repackaged the original game as Dark Elves edition with that expansion already added.

This could all be wrong, of course, but it seems most likely without actually knowing what their announcement actually is. As much as people might not have liked Legendary edition being released as a separate game, had they released the same content as normally priced DLC, it would have cost about twice as much to get everything.
Matheau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:56 AM   #4
ChocoBalls

Banned
You make some good points there Matheau, but I'm willing to bet that Cyanide repeat their Blood Bowl revision history and release a full-priced version that (regardless of content) overrides the previous versions and makes them redundant. I'm also willing to bet they offer it for sale along side the Dark Elves Edition and/or the Legendary Edition; at best, that's a blatantly disingenuous business move.

You indicate that Cyanide have released free material for the game before. Was this just new teams, or did it include supplementary material like rules addendums and code modifications? Forgive my ignorance, but I didn't get into Blood Bowl until after the Dark Elves Edition had been released.
ChocoBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:13 AM   #5
VoodooMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matheau
Currently, the only things missing are four teams, a few star players, and some optional rules. Three of the missing teams are not acknowledged by Games Workshop at all (Slann, Underworld, Chaos Pact) and aren't included in the LRB. It is very, very unlikely those teams will ever be included because that would require Games Workshop acknowledging their existence and none of those teams really have much of a fan base. The fourth team missing is Chaos Dwarves, a moderately popular team that wasn't included because they would have taken a disproportionate amount of time to include.
Supposedly GW already said they don't care if Cyanide includes all four of the teams that were left out of Legendary Edition. Whether that means anything or not, who knows. Certainly Chaos Dwarf will be in there, and it's actually a very popular race in open league TV-matched play over on FUMBBL due to it being highly bashy and good at low TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matheau
I am basing this guess on the fact this is exactly what happened when Dark Elves came out originally. All the people that already had the game got them as a free download and they repackaged the original game as Dark Elves edition with that expansion already added.
I'm going to have to very heavily disagree with your guess because that isn't quite the true story about the Dark Elf content.

During the beta testing for the original, pre-Dark Elf version of the game, Cyanide accidentally included all the Dark Elf models and skins, which meant that the files were out there on the net. The database already had the Dark Elves included in it when the game was released, just not the models and skins, or the team in the drop down boxes, etc. When people found out everything was already out there, the models and data started getting passed around...

The first thing Cyanide tried to do was DELETE the models off people's computers by having a patch that actually removed folders from your computer that the program itself hadn't made. They claimed it was "resetting the folder structure to the original install", but with testing it was found that the only folder it would alter was "DarkElf"... if you created any others, those didn't get deleted. That resulted in quite a bit of... discontent.. on the forums.

So, after that failed, they generously released what the community already had, as a free update!

While it'd be nice if they did a free update and all that, the lack of patches and radio silence from Cyanide for the past few months far closer resembles the lead up to the release of Legendary Edition, which was not a free update.
VoodooMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
TheDarkChaplain

As long as it finally has a working, nice windowed mode that won't somehow read all controls no matter if the game's focussed or not, I'll be happy
TheDarkChaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
VoodooMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkChaplain View Post
As long as it finally has a working, nice windowed mode that won't somehow read all controls no matter if the game's focussed or not, I'll be happy
There's no reason to assume that they'll have dealt with that issue. It has been there since the very first version of the game and they have expressed no interest in addressing it.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
TheDarkChaplain

Yet there's no reason to assume they're gonna bend everybody over.
With Legendary there've been substantial improvements to the game, and while it still has its flaws and issues, especially on the technical side, it was a major improvement to the old version.
I don't regret buying both games, and am even considering a retail copy of Legendary for my shelf.

So yes, I'll still be happy and buying if that issue is gonna be fixed. I'll still be buying whatever, knowing myself, but not playing the game windowed, if not.
TheDarkChaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
VoodooMike

Quote:
Yet there's no reason to assume they're gonna bend everybody over.
Or that they'll sprout wings and fly, which is also not something my original post suggested. What I did say is that there's reason to assume that the available versions will not be the versions used to play online by the end of the year and so, if you're looking to pick up the current version you want to weigh in that fact and possibly wait on the new edition.

Quote:
With Legendary there've been substantial improvements to the game, and while it still has its flaws and issues, especially on the technical side, it was a major improvement to the old version.
Mhm, but they did stop releasing fixes for the old version almost a year before releasing the current version such that they could make sure their bugfixes were considered a benefit of buying the new edition. Why fix the original when you can make fixes and sell it to the people who want fixes?

Quote:
I don't regret buying both games, and am even considering a retail copy of Legendary for my shelf.
That's some dedication right there. I also have two copies of Legendary Edition, but I needed them for different reasons...

Quote:
So yes, I'll still be happy and buying if that issue is gonna be fixed. I'll still be buying whatever, knowing myself, but not playing the game windowed, if not.
Again, if you read the original post, it wasn't "dont buy this game because it sucks!!" it was "there's a new version coming out this year, so factor that into your purchasing decisions". Not everyone can afford to buy the same game twice in a single year.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
Ribo

Me ME me

I'll probably get it if there isn't alot(only 1 new team) of content if:

1) It is fairly inexpensive.
2) The league I am in votes to upgrade.

If it does have 4 new teams I'll probably get it because I enjoy trying all the teams.

My prediction is inexpensive DLC, 1 team. CARNAC has spoken!
Ribo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
VoodooMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribo View Post
My prediction is inexpensive DLC, 1 team. CARNAC has spoken!
Cyanide has never done DLC, inexpensive or otherwise. Given that fact, I'm not sure what you're basing your prediction on.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
Ribo

me

I'm basing it on me crying if I have to pay full price for a single team. So, on no data at all.

I did read about "Chaos" edition showing up briefly on Amazon, Hoax or not so it may be that I am wrong, 1st time ever.

I'm hoping for a couple teams, maybe a point based team builder and some more league options. I find the lack of communication disturbing. The message from last year saying good things were coming in 2012 then silence..........

was annoying.
Ribo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #13
Snorkel

I can't see them doing the same as Dark Elf to Legendary again. There was so much negative feedback about that decision, and if they just adding one race and a few other things, then it's not going to be the big change that DE to LE was.

More likely they'll do what they did with Original Edition to Dark Elf edition - free update for original edition owners, but upgrading the box and art in retail versions so people knew it was the more recent one. Although, if they do it as a DLC, I would be happy with that.
Snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:06 AM   #14
VoodooMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkel
More likely they'll do what they did with Original Edition to Dark Elf edition - free update for original edition owners, but upgrading the box and art in retail versions so people knew it was the more recent one. Although, if they do it as a DLC, I would be happy with that.
That's more likely, is it? Lets see... they have two options:

1) Release the new content they've been developing for the past year as free content just because they're nice guys.

2) Release the new content they've been developing as a new edition, charge people full price for it, and hype it like it was a brand new game.

Companies will take "negative feedback" if it means making more money in the long run. Cyanide makes niche games - its not like your enjoyment of this game will make you run out and buy Cycling Manager, or any of their other niche titles. The people who have stuck with this game for this long will likely buy a new edition at full price owing to the fact that they did it LAST time too, and because a new edition means older editions stop having an easy time finding online matches... and that's the only thing the game is good for.

Other than wishful thinking, I see exactly zero reason to believe anything other than option 2.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
Snorkel

Since the only time they've done option two was when they more than doubled the number of races, I don't find it likely they'll do that this time.

The last time they added one race it was a free update. And not just because they're nice guys, because they want to improve their product and get more people to buy it.
Snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Blood Bowl series