Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam

Old 02-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
acidking

Cool Skin for Mac client?

Would it be possible to install one of the skins here on the Mac client?

I tried a few things, using "SkinV4" "skinname", but it didn't work, the skin doesn't even appear in the Preferences.

I tried other skins like the Aquatic and it seems to work.

Last edited by acidking: 02-26-2012 at 04:06 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
EdwardR

Didn't work for me for some reason.

I also tried this one :

http://www.jasonchen.org/log/2011/05...m-skin-on-mac/
EdwardR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
QuestionMarkSDA

Yes it is possible.

However its a complete pain.

The main difference is that the Mac client does a "integrity check" based on the file size of internal files. If a single value is wrong, then it wipes the whole skin.

Not only that, but it also wipes the skin every time valve updates.

Very quick (you may have to play with this instructions) How To:

1. Open the Contents of the steam client.
2. Install the skin as you normally would

WARNING! WARNING!

DO NOT CUT AND PASTE! YOUR LIFE WILL BE SIGNIFICANTLY MORE DIFFICULT!

You have to check the file size for each of these files later. It'll be easier to go back to the original zip and only have to look up the sizes of the files you actually changed.

3. Open Package/steam_client_osx.installed in a text editor.

It will be in this format:

friends/AchievementNotification.res,1818
friends/addfriendenterdetailssubpanel.res,1872
friends/addfriendresultsubpanel.res,711
friends/addfriendresultsubpanel_failure.res,732
friends/addfriendresultsubpanel_success.res,749
friends/BlockCommunicationResultDialog.res,1542
friends/BlockCommunicationWarningDialog.res,2357
friends/chatinfobar.res,963

The left of the comma is the location of the file, and the right is the size of the file in bytes

4. This is the step that is the bane of your existance.

For every file you changed for your skin, you have to update the file size in bytes in the .installed file. If a single number is off from what is in the package, the client will update and erase everything.

5. Load up the client. If you have realized the truth that there is no spoon, then the skin has loaded properly. The skin may look off on the mac, as the skins are designed for the windows client. In general however, it should work as intended.

Pro Tip: After you get the client to work the first time, keep a copy of the skin and your .installed file. That way if anything goes wrong you can simply copy and paste it back in.

Warning: These steps were written quickly so its possible I missed stuff. To be honest for awhile I kept it rather quiet because I was afraid Valve may "fix" it. Feel free to ask questions, I just can't promise answers due to my schedule.

Good Luck

Old Screenshot I had from when I was figuring it out:
http://i.imgur.com/vdoK4.png

Last edited by QuestionMarkSDA: 02-26-2012 at 01:13 AM.
QuestionMarkSDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
acidking

Thanks for the write-up.

I tried as you said, but when I check back i found it wiped most of the files, it kept some, even though the sizes are correct, but it also wiped all entries I inserted in the .installed file.

What does it take to get the skin to appear in Preferences? If I can start from there perhaps it'll be less confusing.

There seems to be not one properly functioning skin for the Mac client.

Last edited by acidking: 02-26-2012 at 04:03 AM.
acidking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:08 AM   #5
QuestionMarkSDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidking View Post
Thanks for the write-up.

I tried as you said, but when I check back i found it wiped most of the files, it kept some, even though the sizes are correct, but it also wiped all entries I inserted in the .installed file.

What does it take to get the skin to appear in Preferences? If I can start from there perhaps it'll be less confusing.

There seems to be not one properly functioning skin for the Mac client.
I'm currently helping seq in trying to add Mac support for his Compact skin. I know the skinning stuff definitely still works because I'm using one now on my Mac.

Its really just a total pain to do, and very tedious. The reason its resetting everything is because if it fails the integrity check, it will redownload most of the client - including the .installed file.

Also, you can't get the skin to appear under preferences. To make the client look at the skin's folder, you have to do the edit to the clientregistry that was linked by the poster above me. (The ~/Library part of his link)

Even then it doesn't appear in the preferences pane, but it will look at the files and load them.

Some skins (like Aquatic) may not need any edits to the .installed file. When I first started trying to get this stuff to run the Mac client kind of looked at the skins folder, loaded half of it, and would disregard the rest. Now it seems to work a lot better.

The client may now (but I'm not entirely positive) load all the files in the skins folder correctly. If you get to the point its skinned but doesn't look quite right, it may be that a file isn't being loaded in the skins folder.

My best tip for starting: Only change the .installed file for files that get replaced in the main steam folders. You don't have to add the files in \skins\ to it. Also do edits to .installed in chunks. That way if you make a mistake, you can just copy and paste most of your progress back.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
acidking

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestionMarkSDA View Post
My best tip for starting: Only change the .installed file for files that get replaced in the main steam folders.
Such as? ... How do you know which one is the background image for example? The .installed file is a clutter.

Do you know what does -1 refer to? I see it's assigned to directories. Does it mean it ignores the integrity check? If not, is there a way to make it ignore the check for files?
Old 02-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
QuestionMarkSDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidking View Post
Such as? ... How do you know which one is the background image for example? The .installed file is a clutter.

Do you know what does -1 refer to? I see it's assigned to directories. Does it mean it ignores the integrity check? If not, is there a way to make it ignore the check for files?
Search for the image file name.

Also -1 doesn't tell it to ignore. It tells it that its a directory. I haven't found a way to make it ignore the check, but I haven't specifically worked on that.

<a little technical hypothesis about .installed>

If I remember right the file is essentially used like a map data structure. Steam already knows what files its looking for, but doesn't know what size these files are in its current version. Thats what the .installed file is for.

It loads in the information, than uses the file it wants its file size for as the key. If its not present at all, then an error is thrown and it redownloads the client. This means if you change the keys, the "integrity check" fails. If you change the values though, the program has no way of knowing that you altered it (currently)
Old 02-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
acidking

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestionMarkSDA View Post
Search for the image file name.
How do you know what they're called? such as the texture at the top, the tinted images in the background.

I think it's easier if I simply modify what's already there, rather than try to install a new skin. Is there like a style sheet where I can modify the values of things like text colour, lines, etc?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam