Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Company of Heroes series

Old 02-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
MajorYos

Thumbs down Delete game I never purchased... my purchased game deletes and breaks??

So I recently installed and started playing Company of Heroes as I never got a chance to play it on my crappy old laptop. The next day I notice Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts with a status of "pre-load complete". I'm wondering where this came from as I never purchased it. Check if it's some weekend freebie/demo - nope, it's been out forever.

So I decide to see how much space this is taking up, as the only option available is to purchase it, which I have no intention of doing, and it states under local files 9801Mb. I said screw that, I don't need this game I never asked for taking up 10GB on my drive! Right click, delete local content, poof!

Wait.. where did Company of Heroes go??? I just spent all day/night downloading that game... it was 10GB! Oh... no way. They couldn't be THAT stupid, could they?

Ok, so I install Company of Heroes again, all 10 F*#%ing GB of it, and up pops Opposing Fronts again. Whatever. Last game I purchase from these idiots.

Now I got to launch CoH and nothing happens. Reboot - nothing. Try again - nothing. <le sigh>

Now I'm downloading this game for the 3rd freaking time in a couple of weeks, and I haven't gotten past the training missions. Whoever thought it was a good idea (Valve & Relic - I'm looking at both of you) to allow this crap in our games list, with no mention of why it's there, making us think it's taking up a ton of space on our PC, then DELETING A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME when we remove this damn commercial from our list of purchases... well, Valve is fortunate that I enjoy Steam, for now.

As for you Relic, CoH was the first and last game I purchase from you.

Cheers!

Last edited by MajorYos: 02-25-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Roler42

Banned
you got a FREE GAME

and you complain about it...

Just... WOW
Roler42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
MajorYos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roler42 View Post
you got a FREE GAME

Just... WOW
Free? When I right click on it, there is no option to play it. It only says Purchase Game..., which when clicked, takes me to the store page for the game.

How exactly do I get the key for this free game?
MajorYos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
wazups 2x

I also had the same problem but it went away for some reason. It's an annoying bug that happens when you own CoH but not CoH: OP.

I did the same thing as you, deleted CoH: OP and it also deleted CoH. So I redownloaded CoH and just ignored CoH: OP and for some reason the problem went away one day. However, my brother still has the same problem on his PC/Steam though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roler42 View Post
you got a FREE GAME

Just... WOW
He did NOT get a free game. This is a legit bug with Steam and CoH.
wazups 2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
MajorYos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazups 2x View Post
I also had the same problem but it went away for some reason. It's an annoying bug that happens when you own CoH but not CoH: OP.

I did the same thing as you, deleted CoH: OP and it also deleted CoH. So I redownloaded CoH and just ignored CoH: OP and for some reason the problem went away.

He did NOT get a free game. This is a legit bug with Steam and CoH.
I figured as much, hence my rant. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone here.
MajorYos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
Washell

For multiplayer purposes it doesn't matter if you own just one, two or all three of CoH installments, all them will be installed on your HDD. Doesn't matter if you have them on Steam or off Steam. To fix this, they would need to assign each installation its own folder and such, leading to a total of 30GB on the drive. Personally, I prefer just having it show up 3 times in the library with a single 10GB.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
derk

first of all, you will never have to download game files twice , just to install it, or try to install it new, just use verify game cache, under local files, then it will probably download like 5 mb again, and then ur done, a good install. but beside that, for the not loading, we really should need more info on that, when it happens, and such...

please try out these threads, i think they can help u.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2507638
derk is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Company of Heroes series