Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2: Episode Two

Old 02-26-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
TG Sully

New to series. Where to start?

I haven't played a Half-Life game before, shocking I know, but I was just wondering which one I should start with? I have read some of the story and such before but I have decided to actually play them.
Thanks
Old 02-26-2012, 04:50 AM   #2
BiO_MaN

As any series, I suggest starting from the first game - Half-Life 1.

Then, move on to Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode 1 and Half-Life 2: Episode 2. (that is the correct time-line order)

Blue Shift and Opposing Force (expansion packs for Half-Life 1, created by Gearbox) may or may not be canon. They are side-stories from different perspectives of the events that happen during Half-Life 1. I personally didn't like them, but perhaps others on this forum can coax you into giving them a try.
BiO_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:08 AM   #3
Atomic Bang

Half-Life 1. Easily the best Half-Life game of them all.

I suggest to not try the expansion packs, unless you want moar HL. But first, play the real sucesion of games.

And most of all, get ready to be blown away by the quality of this saga. You will not regret it trust me

Last edited by Atomic Bang: 02-26-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Atomic Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:18 AM   #4
Haaselh0ff

Going in order is always best, although, I started with Half-Life 2 and Valve made sure you didn't really need Half-Life 1 )the AI like Eli and them will talk about how you saved them so unless you played Half-Life 1 you might not have known what they were talking about) BUT you really should play it before Half-Life 2. Blue Shift and OPPOSING FORCE are side stuff that you could care less about HOWEVER!!! OPPOSING FORCE is really good!!! Blue Shift... IDK

Last edited by Haaselh0ff: 02-26-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Haaselh0ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:34 AM   #5
Unusual Cookie

half-life 2.

hl1 is old, might have been good in 1998, but even the layout of rooms in not that great.From a logical standpoint.
Unusual Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
hawkinzzz

Ideally, start with HL1 and proceed like everybody else here has outlined.

Realistically... HL1 is as dated as they come, and it takes quite a bit of time and investment before you realise how worth playing it is. HL2 got me to go back and play HL1, and I'm so glad that I did; but I don't think I would make made it all the way through HL1 without having played HL2 first.
hawkinzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #7
xencreature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unusual Cookie View Post
half-life 2.

hl1 is old, might have been good in 1998, but even the layout of rooms in not that great.From a logical standpoint.
It's funny because half life 1 is a 1998 game and is still better than many new singleplayer games.
xencreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
Haaselh0ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkinzzz View Post
Ideally, start with HL1 and proceed like everybody else here has outlined.

Realistically... HL1 is as dated as they come, and it takes quite a bit of time and investment before you realise how worth playing it is. HL2 got me to go back and play HL1, and I'm so glad that I did; but I don't think I would make made it all the way through HL1 without having played HL2 first.
It's hard in a generation of wonderful graphics to go back and play a game that is now considered to have terrible graphics, it makes you want to play the game less even though it is very good. Half-Life 1's graphics might have been some of the best at the time, but we've changed... ALOT... The End

All of this is okay though... you know why?? you know why??? Because Black Mesa's got you covered. (BM:S COMING SOON)
Old 02-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #9
Battlecruiser

Everyone already said it, but I will reapeat it anyway: play them all in order.

HL -> Opposing Force -> Blue Shift -> HL2 -> HL2:Episode 1 -> HL2:Episode 2
Battlecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #10
ZidaneTribal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlecruiser View Post
Everyone already said it, but I will reapeat it anyway: play them all in order.

HL -> Opposing Force -> Blue Shift -> HL2 -> HL2:Episode 1 -> HL2:Episode 2
This, I did this last year when I got into the HL series.
ZidaneTribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #11
MADDOGGE

Play them in the order they were made.

HL1
Opposing Force
Blue Shift

Great FPS's. Lot's of fun to play and gobs of mods a well. Much better shooter imo than the HL2 series is.

HL2
Ep2
Ep2
Ep3, ooops never mind vaporware. MIA 5 years.

I consider HL2 to be a reboot of the HL universe. The old and new games only have any type connection after the fact because of dialog placed in the HL2 games and the G-man. There are no Eli, Kleiner or Barney for that matter in HL1 originally. Where HL2 series shines is the story and realistic feel of the main characters.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #12
Haaselh0ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOGGE View Post
Play them in the order they were made.

HL1
Opposing Force
Blue Shift

Great FPS's. Lot's of fun to play and gobs of mods a well. Much better shooter imo than the HL2 series is.

HL2
Ep1
Ep2
Ep3, ooops never mind vaporware. MIA 5 years.

I consider HL2 to be a reboot of the HL universe. The old and new games only have any type connection after the fact because of dialog placed in the HL2 games and the G-man. There are no Eli, Kleiner or Barney for that matter in HL1 originally. Where HL2 series shines is the story and realistic feel of the main characters.
Episode 1 MUST BE PLAYED
Old 02-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #13
Lady_Scribe

Play Half-Life 1 first, then play the rest. Graphics aren't important; gameplay is, and it's awesome!
Lady_Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #14
2560x1600@120hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaselh0ff View Post
Episode 1 MUST BE PLAYED
The poor Episode One Forum...

Yes, try all the Half-Life games in story-line order.

Half-Life -> Blue Shift -> Opossing Force -> Half-life 2 -> Episode One -> Episode Two

Why HL:OP before Blue Shift? Because HL:OP takes place later during the BMI.
2560x1600@120hz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #15
ThePerson5

Since Half-Life and Portal are very much intertwined, you may do well to play them together as one series. It would offer an interesting perspective. Like this:

1. Half-Life 1. The first game, obviously, and it introduces you to the setting, as Gordon Freeman.

2. Portal. Happens between Half-Life 1 and 2. Very different gameplay, and a different protagonist, but there are a lot of neat references to the first game, for example the Black Mesa slideshow. The references and foreshadowing to the events of Half-Life 2 become far more apparent at the end ("Are you trying to escape? [chuckle] Things have changed since the last time you left the building. What's going on out there will make you wish you were back in here.") It foreshadows the events far better than the original Half-Life game in my opinion, making some direct references.

3. Half-Life 2. Now you get a chance to see exactly what GLaDOS was talking about, with the subjugation of Earth. You are back in the shoes of Gordon Freeman now.

4. Half-Life 2: Episode 1. Direct continuation of Half-Life 2.

5. Half-Life 2: Episode 2. Direct continuation of Episode 1.

6. Portal 2. Continues the events of Portal, and also has some very nice references to the end of Episode 2. Chronologically, it takes place hundreds of years after the rest according to Valve.

7. Episode 3, whenever it comes out, etc.

Last edited by ThePerson5: 02-26-2012 at 08:05 AM.
ThePerson5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2: Episode Two