Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alan Wake

Old 02-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
bobsbarricades

Can't connect to steam cloud?

I have internet, and can connect to steam, but when I go to play alan wake it's telling me it can't connect to the steam cloud. I am hesitant to play and it end up overwriting my game with a save from the beginning.

anyone else having this now? before?
Old 02-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
MADDOGGE

Have you thought of saving a copy of your save as a backup if you know where it's hidden, just in case?

I have the same issue with FEAR3 except I don't even get a message. If I check properties, it says I have zero bytes stored out of 100MB available. It never syncs before the game starts or after I exit. Not sure exactly what the issue is and I have done the verify and blob fix but it didn't fix anything.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
bobsbarricades

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOGGE View Post
Have you thought of saving a copy of your save as a backup if you know where it's hidden, just in case?

I have the same issue with FEAR3 except I don't even get a message. If I check properties, it says I have zero bytes stored out of 100MB available. It never syncs before the game starts or after I exit. Not sure exactly what the issue is and I have done the verify and blob fix but it didn't fix anything.
after this I'm thinking about it, but can't seem to find a save game file locally. COme to think of it I probably haven't even saved it locally. How do I do that and is there a way to have it locally first and then to the steam cloud?

to clarify the message says it's unable to "sync" with the cloud - it sounds like it's just different files local vs. cloud. I'm tempted to start, but also terrified 0.o

[edit] - don't know what was going on but I started the game and when I got to the menu the background showed the same one I had left it on (episode 5) so I figured all was well. It was. I'll keep this around for anybody that might have this problem in the future.

Last edited by bobsbarricades: 02-26-2012 at 09:44 PM.
bobsbarricades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #4
MrMcGarnical

I experienced this today as well. But I had not played on another computer, so it was OK. I can confirm I loaded my game and it was all well. Stats and current checkpoint were all OK.

I think they key is that you have not played on another computer since. Because the computer you are currently on will load whatever it thinks the latest save was.
MrMcGarnical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
FreeManG

Somewhere on this board the specific location of Alan Wake savegames was posted. IIRC, it would be in Steam\userdata\[your ID#]\ where there are a bunch of numbered folders, one of which should pertain to Alan Wake, but I don't recall which one. If you have a local save it would be in the \local folder.

I have a somewhat opposite problem: I started Alan Wake (and a few other games as well) with cloud saves enabled and have since disabled it, but the cloud saving seems to continue.

IMO, folders in the \userdata folder should clearly indicate which game they are related to, rather than vague numbered names. Steam still has some work to do on achieving a user-friendly state. I guess devs can choose where to place game saves as well...

Last edited by FreeManG: 02-27-2012 at 08:20 PM.
FreeManG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
bobsbarricades

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeManG View Post
Somewhere on this board the specific location of Alan Wake savegames was posted. IIRC, it would be in Steam\userdata\xxxxxx\ where there are a bunch of numbered folders, one of which should pertain to Alan Wake, but I don't recall which one. If you have a local save it would be in the \local folder.

I have a somewhat opposite problem: I started Alan Wake (and a few other games as well) with cloud saves enabled and have since disabled it, but the cloud saving seems to continue.

IMO, folders in the \userdata folder should clearly indicate which game they are related to, rather than vague numbered names. Steam still has some work to do on achieving a user-friendly state. I guess devs can choose where to place game saves as well...
there was a good article, that I wholehearted agree with, written on RPS about this very topic.

Last edited by bobsbarricades: 02-27-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
FreeManG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbarricades View Post
there was a good article, that I wholehearted agree with, written on RPS about this very topic.
Yep, I certainly agree that the current state makes no sense.

According to that article, I've gone and posted "my ID"... is that a bad thing? If it is, would you please edit it out of your quote.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
bobsbarricades

edited just in case thanks for letting me know
Old 02-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
FreeManG

Thank you!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alan Wake