Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series

Old 02-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
DrDrums

I can't run gta4 on my computer...

I bought gta 4 not to long ago via the steam store. I downloaded and attempted playing it. It started the art/music loop as it loaded the game and that's where the issue is. It would just play the music/loop and all functions like the shift+tab menu wouldn't even work. I let it sit for about 30 minutes and still nothing...

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Smooth613

The problem is that your PC is facing south east and the light in your kitchen is on.

No really, what help can be provided with the information you have given us? None. Start by listing your full PC specs and the exact error message you receive, if any, and we'll go from there.
Smooth613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
Achilles_88

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDrums View Post
I bought gta 4 not to long ago via the steam store. I downloaded and attempted playing it. It started the art/music loop as it loaded the game and that's where the issue is. It would just play the music/loop and all functions like the shift+tab menu wouldn't even work. I let it sit for about 30 minutes and still nothing...

To check if ur system can run it or not

check this link: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx
Achilles_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
envirovore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles_88 View Post
To check if ur system can run it or not

check this link: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx
This site is not an accurate representation of whether or not you can run a game.

It reports to users with Intel Integrated GPU's that they are able to run Amnesia The Dark Descent, which doesn't support Intel GPU's.
envirovore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
Achilles_88

Banned
Quote:

About ur shift + tab problem, just go to library while ur in steam and right click on GTA 4 then press properties and tick the box near "Enable Steam Community - In Game"
Old 02-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
Achilles_88

Banned
Quote:

or go to this link that's the website i used to check my system:
http://www.yougamers.com/games/?mainnavi=true
Old 02-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
DrDrums

Specs:
8g ram
intel i3 2.20ghz processor
intel hd 3000 family graphics (newer version)

There was no error message at all! It just plays the loop with the art and music... i can pull up the steam tab for about 5 seconds but then everything locks up after that...
DrDrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Smooth613

Quote:
Specs:
8g ram
intel i3 2.20ghz processor
intel hd 3000 family graphics (newer version)
There's your problem. Time for a GPU upgrade to a discrete card from Nvidia or AMD.
Smooth613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
DrDrums

It can't possibly be my gpu...! It runs heavier games than gta!
DrDrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
Fac3hugg3r

GTA 4 supports only AMD(ATI) and Nvidia graphics cards. Also it runs like on graphics cards which have less than 1GB video RAM - I am not surprised it didn't run at all on your system with integrated Intel graphics.

You should always check recommended system requirements(minimum ones only mean that your game will run, playable frames per second is another story) before buying a game.
Fac3hugg3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
Nekomancer

Intel videochips are very, very rarely supported and pretty often they still perform buggy.

The bigger problem is, it's not even a real videocard. The Intel HD videochip is part of your CPU, it's designed as a low power consuming videochip, which results in poor performance. Even videocards over 5 years old are faster than what you use at the moment.

If you have a PC, get a videocard. If you have a laptop, you're screwed.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
envirovore

Quote:
Try running Amnesia then and tell me it's not your GPU.
If you have a desktop, get a discreet GPU, it doesn't even need to be top of the line for that GTA4
envirovore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #13
Leemstradamus

Yea very true it you want to start gaming and want to run gta then it is time for a discreet gpu. Are you using a laptop? If so you are screwed. Also gta4 runs like a dog on any system. I have run that game on several high end rigs i have and have never had 60fps second locked. I started with sli 8800 gts's all the way up to a hd 5970 and my current main rig with sli gtx 580s. And that is with 3 ssd's lol
Leemstradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #14
kaboro

Quote:
You do not have a GPU in your system. Intel integrated graphics is not gpu, its intel garbage/scam.
I dont know what you mean by heavier games than gta, heavy or not, some games will not run on intel integrated graphics and thats that.
If you are serious about playing games on your PC, you have to get yourself a graphic card, there is no way around it.
If not, just stick with consoles, intel graphics is not an option for pc games.

Also you might want to check your flash player, make sure you updated your flash player to latest version.
From what you describe it looks like the windows live login window doesnt show on your screen is why you cant play it.

Last edited by kaboro: 02-28-2012 at 07:06 PM.
kaboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:00 AM   #15
tihi66

it's definitely graphic card problem. you can't expect integrated card to run GTA IV.
and as previous poster said, try updating (or installing!) flash player.
tihi66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series