Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > F.E.A.R. series

Old 02-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Bish0p

Totally an underrated game

Way to ruin sales for what is IMO a great game. I waited for a long time to get this because of your metacrybaby reviews.. Why do I EVER believe you reviewers? This game is a lot of fun, two totally different ways to enjoy it, depending on who you are. The graphics, production values, story, are all top notch. Extremely underrated... Wow, metacritic fails again.. Totally recommend this game.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
MADDOGGE

Ahhhh, which of the 5 FEAR games are you talking about. If you are talking about the first one I agree with you. If not, well I disagree.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Talesan

You really have to take what reviewers say with a grain of salt and form your own opinions. Fear 1 was awesome.
Talesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
arizonachris

"two totally different ways to enjoy it" I'm presuming F3AR. It was a good shooter, just not FEAR.
arizonachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
bluz74

It is a fun game. Haven't finished it yet though. Got distracted with that Amnesia. I'll get back to it though. I'm looking forward to playing through as Fettle.

Edit: For once, pun not intended.
bluz74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluz74 View Post
It is a fun game. Haven't finished it yet though. Got distracted with that Amnesia. I'll get back to it though. I'm looking forward to playing through as Fettle.

Edit: For once, pun not intended.
I'm topside on the bridge
Spoiler:
in the PowerArmor
as Fettle currently.
Spoiler:
Those damn 4 legged creatures were
using just Fettle powers until I got the hang of it.

Spoiler:
You will enjoy possessing the commanders!
I wish I had realized I could do that at the mall.

FEAR3 is as bad a FEAR game as FEAR2 is, but both posers are damn fun as a shooter though.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
BlackOps101

F.e.a.r was great 2 was decent but 3 was just dragging on... I notice this with a lot of game 3 is really pushing a franchise UNLESS it's got something going for it. When we were all introduced to the first game it was fresh and mysterious and exciting. That's how I like my games something that won't let me stop playing because I got to know how it ends.
BlackOps101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOps101 View Post
F.e.a.r was great 2 was decent but 3 was just dragging on... I notice this with a lot of game 3 is really pushing a franchise UNLESS it's got something going for it. When we were all introduced to the first game it was fresh and mysterious and exciting. That's how I like my games something that won't let me stop playing because I got to know how it ends.
I would agree. A great game pulls you in you become part of the experience and you loose track of time. It's the same way I feel about a great book.

I know some people say FEAR2 would have been disappointing even if it had been a real sequel that had had the AI, the missing shadows , etc, all the things we complained aboutFEAR2 missing included because we knew what to expect but that isn't necessarily so. If they had ramped up the paranormal as she got more powerful, if they had added in a dynamic spawn on Alma both samll and big. There was no reason FEAR2 couldn't have been every bit as good if not better than FEAR1 is.

The sad truth is FEAR2 originally called Project Origin was the result of Monolith trying to get around a licencing nightmare of not owning the FEAR name though they owned eveything else. It showed in the story since they couldn't use the FEAR team hence no Pointman. It should have been sold as a non canon expansion pack like EP and PM are and they should have made a proper FEAR2 that continued from the end of FEAR1.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
Nitronumber9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOGGE View Post
Ahhhh, which of the 5 FEAR games are you talking about. If you are talking about the first one I agree with you. If not, well I disagree.
5? I keep counting 6.
Fear 1 - 1
Extraction point - 2
Perseus mandate - 3
Fear 2 - 4
Reborn - 5
F3ar - 6

Cannon wise, theres only 3 games.
Nitronumber9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
MADDOGGE

Meh, Reborn isn't long enough to count as a separate game. Heck they couldn't even be bothered to give it it's own save slot EP and PM however, while not canon, are true expansion packs. Reborn is just some very expensive, short assed DLC, whose combat is imo ironically better than FEAR2's is.

To the true fan there is only one canon game. the rest are mere poser whatabes.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
bluz74

I was able to get back into FEAR 3 this weekend. I'm up to Interval 7. I have to say, FEAR 3 is a very good shooter. It's turning out to be very challenging. The Power Armor battle in the courtyard was extremely difficult for me but fun as hell.

It's a lot longer then I thought as well. Aside from people you know, the forums really are a terrible place to gauge how good a game actually is.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
MADDOGGE

The one place that was really tension filled for me as Fettle was at "Lowes" after the chopper crash once you get to the garden center. I really missed having a gun there. On the other hand, the one place I actually died over and over again is the small
Spoiler:
courtyard where you fight the mech because he would destroy all the cover and there is really no place to go.
I actually loved playing as Fettle, though frankly I'm still not sure how he being dead, could be killed yet again. I know, it's just a game.

The only negative and a minor one at that to playing as Fettle was the cutscenes made no sense when playing as Fettle because they were the Pointmans cutscenes from when you played as him.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #13
FreemanForPrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOGGE View Post

FEAR3 is as bad a FEAR game as FEAR2 is, but both posers are damn fun as a shooter though.
Might as well give up on ever getting another FEAR game that even comes close to the first. Unless someone else makes one. FEAR is dead, gone, never to return.
That's not to say there won't be a sequel. I'm sure they'll run it totally into the ground before officially abandoning it.

I was planning on not saying anything about it and just quietly forgetting about it, but what the hell...

I haven't bought F-three-AR, but I have a friend who did and I got a chance to play some of it at his house a couple months ago. IMO it sucks royally. I was surprised in that I thought it was even worse than I expected it to be.
Decent graphics, nice looking game, but for one, I felt my IQ dropping every time someone said something in the game, and for another... well, I just didn't enjoy it. I played on the highest difficulty setting, and didn't die once the entire time I played, which was until I just couldn't stand it any longer (about 3 hours) and needed to find something more entertaining, like watching the dew accumulate on my windshield or seeing how fast I could count to 10,000.

Aside from that, I'm having trouble maintaining this insult. It seems almost pointless, like yelling at the grass for not growing fast enough. F-three-AR is a mockery and easily insults itself. Easily one of the stupidest games ever made.

My *humble* opinion, of course.

EDIT:
I'm talking about the single player "campaign" only. Maybe the MP and Co-OP are better. I don't know, since I didn't try it and generally don't like MP games anyway.

Last edited by FreemanForPrez: 03-05-2012 at 11:05 PM.
FreemanForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #14
bluz74

@MADDODGE: That courtyard fight was great. I died about 6-7 times before I was able to kill him. It was one of the better boss fights I've had in a game in awhile.

@Freeman:
Old 03-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #15
FreemanForPrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluz74 View Post

@Freeman:
That's just rude. Back at ya -->

Well, at least you won't have to hear what I have to say about RAGE.
FreemanForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > F.E.A.R. series