Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jagged Alliance Series

Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
TheJrade

A Little Love for No FOW

I know everyone seems to hate the lack of FOW, but after playing for a bit I understand why the devs did it that way.

I remember playing JA2 and being really annoyed my snipers couldn't see farther than 50 meters (or whatever) or so. It was really silly that I had to send out scouts to 'call for fire' from guys farther back.

Now I can just tell my snipers to get in the prone and start dropping anybody they can see. Very realistic and very cool. To boot, there are even enough buildings that my CQB itch can get scratched too.

A great short term fix (for any devs who are listening) would be to simply tell the game engine to not red-highlight any enemies your mercs cannot see/hear, thus rendering them properly invisible if they are on the other side of a wall. This would let snipers still work like they should but introduce a greater edge to those room-to-room fights.

...But fix the $#@&!* sector inventory thing first!
Old 02-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
EarthN

Signed
EarthN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
dave_

Hopefully they'll make it optional.
dave_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
xiriod

Yeah, I must say I agree with this. FOW and sniping will have issues, unless FOW is extended all the way any given soldier can see and perhaps add 10% for good measure.
xiriod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
jwoozy

Getting rid of FoW dramatically improved the pacing of the game and it's why PnG is as breezy to play as it is. Hopefully what they do is introduce a "Hardcore" mode for second playthroughs that amps up the realism and makes the enemies better equipped early on.
jwoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
TheJrade

Intredasting... a Hardcore mode... but some of the new changes I really like though. Perhaps a more in-depth options menu allowing 'Tons of Guns' or 'Longer Heal Times' checkboxes? Might be pie in the sky though as there are plenty of other problems that should be fixed first.

Ya know, like the #$%^&&* sector inventory system... just sayin'
TheJrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
Toofy

Sector inventory got lost in the fog of war.

I still don't know how I feel about no FOW, I feel as if FOW did exist the balance of the game would shift drastically unless the devs gave the opposing forces the marksmanship of a stormtrooper
Toofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
TheJrade

By 'FOW existing' you mean Command & Conquer style FOW, i.e. a guy can only see 50 feet in any direction right?

Yeah, that was the other horrible thing about old JA2, getting shot at by guys outside of my sight range. Not hiding, just too far for me to see. In a straight line. Out in the open. Wearing no camo. Full of shenaniganry..
TheJrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
Treegrasper

FOW won't fix the AI problems, either they are supersoldiers or morons (sometimes both from one second to the next). Better camera angles, better grenade throwing mechanics, ability to break/shoot/throw through doors windows would be much better. Also make reaction times more equal so my pre-aiming guys aren't mowed down by the super soldiers so much.
Treegrasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
GP762

Of course FOW won't fix the AI but what it DOES do is makes stupid AI somewhat more believable b hiding it's antics. I would rate the AI in this game as fair. It is definitely better than the previous JA titles.

Good AI seems to be one of the holy grails of he gaming industry. If you are expecting a small genre focused title like this to floor you you are clearly expecting too much.

One day I hope to see a game like this with a good developed FOW that implements things like using scopes, binos, and maybe even a UAV to reveal areas of the map temporarily. Also to reveal a level of detail as objects are close enough for it to be observed.A person - Friend? Civilian? Enemy combatant? Lets have a look through the scope to see more ....
GP762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
LordMarduk

Could also greatly (like 10x better) increase the perception effect of every unit in the game making sure they could see from one side of the map all the way to the other if there's nothing blocking their sight, and add FoW, that way snipers wouldn't become useless.

An option to turn it on and off could be nice too.
LordMarduk is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jagged Alliance Series