Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magicka

Old 02-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
iskyfire

Annoying Hosting Bug...

Alrighty. I don't know if this is specific to my OS environment or not(see below), but I'm having trouble running a server from the initial startup of Magicka. I find that in order to host a server, I have to join another server and then leave it. Which, if there aren't any other servers open...it kinda defeats the purpose of hosting. If I don't join another server first, and try to host, the processor usage jumps up to 100% and the computer is un-usable until I kill the process in Task Manager. Before, I thought it was because I was out-of-memory. So, I went and dropped $40 and increased my RAM to 2GB. But, this error still occurs. Again, it might just be my specific setup, because I don't see another post about this.

==My Setup==
Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 3) (32-bit)
AMD Athlon ~2.4GHz SINGLE CORE
2GB PC3200 DDR RAM
NVIDIA GT 545 (1.5GB Dedi VRAM)

Also, I'm port forwarding 27000-27016 both UDP and TCP. And 7331 as well.

Last edited by iskyfire: 02-27-2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
PS_

A bit strange for sure, and no, not common.

If you set your filter way low, to exclude any server info download, does that change anything ? I guess you probably know//have seen this, but just in case, like this.
PS_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
iskyfire

Thanks!

I'll try messing with the filter settings, I'll post up if I find a solution. Magicka Rocks!
iskyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
iskyfire

Nothing works...

After messing with the ping settings, I'm unable to host at all. Fortunately, I wrote a C# program to kill all "Magicka.exe" processes when I press Scroll Lock. So that makes testing easier; don't have to re-boot.

I have a theory about this, though, could it be that the program is trying to turn something over to different processing core, and because I only have one core, the bottle-necking is just too much? But then I think that something of that nature is handled by the system and not the program.

If there are any other people experiencing this, post here please!
iskyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
XT-8147

Yeah, I've experienced this too. I'm running a setup nearly identical to yours as well, just with an older graphics card. I've tried the server list filter tweak, but the issue seems to be unrelated.

It's interesting that it goes away if you join a game first, I'd never tried that.

This might just be a really weird single core issue, a friend of mine with a quad core i7 has no problems hosting.
XT-8147 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magicka