Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jagged Alliance Series

Old 02-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
rapaco

most underrated game of the decade

I cant understand why the critics review are so negative. I bought this game 7 days ago and ive forgotten all the others i was playing.
Once you master it is the most satysfing tactic game i ever played.
the use of terrain , the mix of your team, bombs, mines,sniper,exploration.....;
what a spectacoular game !
I cant find a minus really.im playng games from 1990 and ill put this 0ne in the top ten.
Tell me why im wrong
sorry for my english
Old 02-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
LordMarduk

The thing is, this is a sequel to an awesome classic game, so most players were expecting something at least as glorious as it's predecessor, but you can't really expect to surpass a masterpiece easily.

The game itself is very good and fun, it could use a little polishing and a few fixes (mostly AI improvements, more guns, better balance, militia changes, destructible environment would be awesome)but I agree it deserves a much higher score than it got.
LordMarduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
TheJrade

A lot of people wanted a near-copy of Jagged Alliance 2, as it was a stupendous game. The devs made a number of changes that are unpopular with fans of the older game. They also left out a lot of key features that gave JA2 its enduring status.

For my money, I like the changes, and assume that the things they left out will be corrected with later patches.
TheJrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:50 AM   #4
EarthN

Same here. Really enjoying the game, though some issues remain.
EarthN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:33 AM   #5
iceklee

I agree
iceklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
JohnnyMorgan

and reviewing games on launch seems to be a pointless practice now or at the very least, review at launch and do a follow up review month or so down the road.

no one releases perfect games (and I agree this one rocks even with the flaws, which they are committed to cleaning up)
JohnnyMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
TheJrade

I love Steam to death and will continue to viral-market it to my friends like Steam is paying me to do so, but these days I include a caveat in my 'sales pitch':

Be careful to never pre-buy a game even if there is a discount, because much like Wal-Mart, Steam will often pressure a developer to release a game before it is ready.

I think Jagged Alliance: Beta in Action is a perfect example of this. To get the incredibly valuable Steam platform, they have to meet Steam's deadlines. These days the only games I will buy on release day are ones from proven producers, like Blizzard. While waiting 'until its ready' can be frustrating it's always worth it.
TheJrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
jwoozy

Ummmm since when is Valve doing other publisher's jobs for them? I've never heard of Valve imposing deadlines for third-party developers as a requisite for being distributed via Steam.

I think personally it's more likely that the developer ran overbudget and it was either release the game or start firing staff.
jwoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
trucane

No it's not, pretty far from it tbh
trucane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #10
iceklee

The JA2 lovers are hilarious. This game is outstanding and much better than JA 1.13. Deal with it.
iceklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
dave_

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceklee View Post
The JA2 lovers are hilarious. This game is outstanding and much better than JA 1.13. Deal with it.
I wouldn't know about that, as I have not played the previous games, but it seems a pity that this forum is filled with many posts from that perspective. IMHO this one is a whole heap of fun, just sayin', agree with OP.

One thing this game has done is made me determined to get the others the next time they are on sale.
dave_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
laika

Quote:
Because of the GFX? yes ofcourse. But Ja2 was turnbase. Thats the main difference. I know turnbase games are dying, but for me turnbase is a godsend.
I,m not saying that JABia is bad but its different.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
LordMarduk

^
This reminds me of X-Com Apocalypse, before every single battle you could select either the real time or the turn based option, personally I would never chose the turn based one over a well made real time like that game had, but having the option is pretty cool

Last edited by LordMarduk: 02-29-2012 at 10:14 AM.
LordMarduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #14
Valrin72

Quote:
I have to disagree with you there, while I really enjoy the PnG combat in this game (infact I LOVE it) and I have no problem at all with no FoW (I HATED exploring the entire damn map to find the last survivor and kill him), the flaws in this version are not with the combat but with the interface.

I JA2 you could train milita from the world map, access all the loot from the world map and repair/heal/trade items from the world map. In BiA you have to micro manage everything from the combat map (yay, I get to run around the entire map finding each individual that can join the militia, and I can only carry 3 weapons per person while I do it).

Also, if you want to use 1.13 as your comparison, how about the BAZILLION guns and the Load Bearing Equipment to allow you to carry more gear (WTF? I can only carry 3 knives and NO other weapons?????)

So, I love the combat system in BiA, it's totally awesome and I think it makes for a much better tactical game than JA2, but the world map interface sucks balls since ALL you can use it for is travel...without waypoints.

Basically, give me PnG combat and JA2's world map and bazillions of guns and gear and I'll die happy.
Valrin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
EarthN

I CAN set waypoints on map in BiA....apart from that: signed again
EarthN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jagged Alliance Series