Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 02-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
blackcelica

RED TINT ON LOADING SCREENS

Any ideas why I might be getting a red tint on the loading screens?
I've recently done a new install, only used textures from workshop and have started a new character after finishing the game twice already with 2 previous characters. All saves are new and i've not (yet) messed with the ini's. Have to say though, after deleting local content and reinstalling from scratch, the game is running absolutely flawless, better than ever, no stuttering etc etc. It's just this red tint that is bugging me but i'm stumped as to what is causing it.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
manny_gt

red and purple colors mean missing textures. So you have probably a problems with your texture mod or you have to do a verify cache. Try to disable your texture mod and see if problem persists.
manny_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:55 AM   #3
Sleepy Ben

The red tint is caused by INI file glitches. NOT missing textures.

Using the saveini command in the console can cause extra unwanted entries in the skyrim.ini producing the red tint. Also you sometimes get extra INI files created by mods which again produces the red tint.

Its not a game breaker but if it bugs you too much then delete all INI files in Skyrim - verify the game files and when you run the game again you'll need to go through the settings again.
Sleepy Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:32 AM   #4
Breton Warrior

It can also happen after trying the Ugrids to load tweak, that has written instructions on how to correct it which are similar to Sleepy Ben's.

I'm afraid the only way I 100% cured it was a clean install but I was going to anyway for the Skyrim Beta. Sleepy Ben is right it is not game breaking just damn annoying, if the .ini fix suggested above fails to cure it just try to ignore it (I know that is hard I tried)

Just found this in another thread about the same thing, wish I had seen this myself.

I had been tearing my hair out trying to figure out what the problem was. As a previous poster had mentioned, I could live with the red tint fine... but the map was ugly as hell, just intolerable. I had deleted all INIs twice, and was starting to thrash with "refreshini", uninstalling mods, etc. Finally I came across that odd-named INI file in the Data directory, and-- lo and behold-- there were the "rUIMistMenu_*" entries and those damn "MapMenu*" entries.

Deleted it, problem went away. Hopefully this message will help others with lingering red tint issues.

Last edited by Breton Warrior: 02-28-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Breton Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:49 AM   #5
obren2obren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breton Warrior View Post
I had deleted all INIs twice, and was starting to thrash with "refreshini", uninstalling mods, etc. Finally I came across that odd-named INI file in the Data directory, and-- lo and behold-- there were the "rUIMistMenu_*" entries and those damn "MapMenu*" entries.

Deleted it, problem went away. Hopefully this message will help others with lingering red tint issues.[/I]
I have the same problem, but I can't find that odd-named ini file in Data folder, can you tell me the files exact name.

EDIT: No matter, got it!

Last edited by obren2obren: 02-28-2012 at 05:04 AM.
obren2obren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:22 AM   #6
blackcelica

Now I'm really stumped, I have just done the clean install and have no extra ini's in the data folder. My map does look a bit rubbish low res also. If I install the HD map mod off nexus it doesn't change it in game where as it did before with my old saves, and I'm stuck with the red tint. Something else must also cause this.
Thanks for the replies and suggestions so far. I can't be the only person stuck with this red tint.
blackcelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
Aviar

Here is what I posted in another thread a couple of days ago and how I fixed the red issue.

The other night I updated my video drivers, and inadvertently whacked my Skyrim profile settings within the nvidia settings. Today I started resetting everything up and in working with fraps I wanted to see how much of a performance hit changing the uGridsToLoad from 5 to 7 months ago actually was.

I followed the directions on geforce.com to change from 5 back to 7 and started getting the red screen logo's at game launch and the game crashing while trying to load a saved game. Starting a new game was fine. I reverted my .ini files back, and spent a while troubleshooting this. It was not until I looked at all the files that were changed that I was able to figure out what happened.

It appears that the Skyrim.ini file in \Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data changed and this is what was causing the red logo's at game launch. I backed up the skyrim.ini file in this directory, and copied over the one from my \user\...... directory and this resolved the issue. My guess is that when you try to revert from the uGridstoload 7 to 5, and from the in game console issue the command to saveini or refreshini the file in the steam directory is getting changed as well. What happened was they were basically out of synch.

I never got the game to revert back to 5, and basically copied the 7 .ini file back into the Steam directory which fixed the red logo issue.

Has anyone ever fully reverted from 7 to 5 successfully?
Aviar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
Aviar

Let me also add, that in reading other posts, some people have stated that other .ini files have changed besides the one I posted above. One of the easiest ways to try to figure this out is to do a search for any files that were modified on the day the red splash screen started, and that may narrow down your search.
Aviar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
blackcelica

Thank god for that, all sorted. Red tint and map issue fixed. Thanks a million chaps.
blackcelica is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V