Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V > Steam Workshop for Skyrim

Old 02-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
Danrik

Exclamation Using BOSS causes Steam to redownload EVERY mod again.

Hey guys. The title pretty much explains the extent of my problem. Every time I run BOSS (and Nexus Mod Manager, too), it causes the Skyrim launcher to redownload every single mod I'm subscribed to. It's SO annoying!

Is this a known issue?
Old 02-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Breton Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik View Post
Hey guys. The title pretty much explains the extent of my problem. Every time I run BOSS (and Nexus Mod Manager, too), it causes the Skyrim launcher to redownload every single mod I'm subscribed to. It's SO annoying!

Is this a known issue?

Yes a very well known one, the problem is Workshop uses the mods dates to check if they are up to date. Unfortunatly it seems that BOSS changes something (the dates?) when it changes your load order about.

So everytime you run BOSS or something like WyreBash if they change a date then Steam thinks you mod is not the current version and re-downloads it. Very simple answer is to 'unsubscribe' your Workshop mods if you have to use BOSS or similar to adjust your load order. Unsubscribing does not 'lose' the mod it just stops the auto-updating, it may turn them off in Data Files though?

Skyrim has its own load order adjuster in the Data Files Launcher now (which I tested in the Beta and it works fine) so you can now adjust the load order yourself. Either use the Skyrim order sorter and turn off BOSS or use BOSS but you will need to 'unsubscribe' your mods to stop your problem, BW
Breton Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
Seph64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breton Warrior View Post
So everytime you run BOSS or something like WyreBash if they change a date then Steam thinks you mod is not the current version and re-downloads it. Very simple answer is to 'unsubscribe' your Workshop mods if you have to use BOSS or similar to adjust your load order. Unsubscribing does not 'lose' the mod it just stops the auto-updating, it may turn them off in Data Files though?
Turns them off? Yes, I believe it does, so all you will have to do is go in to data files and just re-enable them.

Had to go into data files and reenable the mod when someone removed the Realistic Water and Textures mod from the workshop (because I believe whoever is in charge of that mod now dislikes the workshop for whatever reason).
Seph64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Breton Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph64 View Post
Turns them off? Yes, I believe it does, so all you will have to do is go in to data files and just re-enable them.

Had to go into data files and reenable the mod when someone removed the Realistic Water and Textures mod from the workshop (because I believe whoever is in charge of that mod now dislikes the workshop for whatever reason).
Ta for the confirm, two answers that say the same thing helps get the answer across. As to authors pulling out of Workshop there is an error (11?) or something like that which is causing them a big annoyance. I think the biggest issues are the problem with BOSS (maybe) but more likely the amount of negativity that some users are constantly using against the Workshop.

I actually feel sorry for Beth/Steam they are trying to make it all work and keep it simple, which all that they wanted to do, just to provide a simple and easy mod usage site. The amount of flak they keep getting is such a sad thing to see, it does work but it does need a little help from it users to work properlly.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Danrik

Hmm, damn =/ Is there any mention of a fix from Bethesda or the creator of BOSS? Obviously it isn't game breaking, but it's a terrible shame. Not all of us have the attention span to rearrange all our mods manually. I appreciate that Bethesda have given us the option to do it anyway though.

Alternatively, is there a way I can use BOSS to detect collisions without changing the loadorder or anything else automatically? I can't stand redownloading half a gig of mods every time I need to adjust my load order ><
Danrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
Breton Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik View Post
Hmm, damn =/ Is there any mention of a fix from Bethesda or the creator of BOSS? Obviously it isn't game breaking, but it's a terrible shame. Not all of us have the attention span to rearrange all our mods manually. I appreciate that Bethesda have given us the option to do it anyway though.

Alternatively, is there a way I can use BOSS to detect collisions without changing the loadorder or anything else automatically? I can't stand redownloading half a gig of mods every time I need to adjust my load order ><
Sorry I do not use BOSS myself so I am unsure if it can tell you of errors but not re-arrange your mods? TBH my attention span is not that good either He He I just prefer my Load Order to be My load order. I did let one mod manager check my mods for order once (and I think it used BOSS guidelines) and it really messed everything up so terribly I have never trusted them since.

I have read that BOSS maybe being updated to work better with Beth's new Load Order arranger but that was only from one source so I'm not sure how accurate that is?

So until BOSS and/or Beth/Steam stop using the mod dates to control how it all happens I'm afraid the only way around the issue is to "Unsubscribe" your Mods to stop the re-downloading everytime BOSS re-sorts your load order. Unsubscribing 'Does' not lose any of your Mods it just Stops the auto-checking for updates, it does turn them off in your 'Data Files' But all the Mod data and .esp's stay in your game. So just turn them all back on, easy.
Silly thing is some users complain about how stupid it is that the Workshop uses dates to check if a mod needs updating, but the other mod arranging utilities like BOSS and Wyre seem to go by dates as well?

Last edited by Breton Warrior: 03-01-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
keiskay2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breton Warrior View Post
Sorry I do not use BOSS myself so I am unsure if it can tell you of errors but not re-arrange your mods? TBH my attention span is not that good either He He I just prefer my Load Order to be My load order. I did let one mod manager check my mods for order once (and I think it used BOSS guidelines) and it really messed everything up so terribly I have never trusted them since.

I have read that BOSS maybe being updated to work better with Beth's new Load Order arranger but that was only from one source so I'm not sure how accurate that is?

So until BOSS and/or Beth/Steam stop using the mod dates to control how it all happens I'm afraid the only way around the issue is to "Unsubscribe" your Mods to stop the re-downloading everytime BOSS re-sorts your load order. Unsubscribing 'Does' not lose any of your Mods it just Stops the auto-checking for updates, it does turn them off in your 'Data Files' But all the Mod data and .esp's stay in your game. So just turn them all back on, easy.
Silly thing is some users complain about how stupid it is that the Workshop uses dates to check if a mod needs updating, but the other mod arranging utilities like BOSS and Wyre seem to go by dates as well?
they go by the dates the mods were created and they also check if any conflicts are happening and arrange them to prevent conflicts, they also have a master list of almost every plugin and arrange them so they work perfectly. the new system beth placed only reads dates, doesn't check fro conflicts or anything, so if you download a new mod that needs to load first, tough luck.
keiskay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
Technogeek

The situation with BOSS is known and being worked on. The author posted a thread over on the Bethesda forums that touches on the subject.
Technogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
Breton Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiskay2 View Post
they go by the dates the mods were created and they also check if any conflicts are happening and arrange them to prevent conflicts, they also have a master list of almost every plugin and arrange them so they work perfectly. the new system beth placed only reads dates, doesn't check fro conflicts or anything, so if you download a new mod that needs to load first, tough luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogeek View Post
The situation with BOSS is known and being worked on. The author posted a thread over on the Bethesda forums that touches on the subject.
My thanks to you both for the extra info, I am aware of what BOSS does, its been around since Oblivion and I've been modding since Morrowind. I have read through that link and it does make for some very interesting reading. Discusion on the ways to have all the major mod manager type utlities working as that 'article' describes is really good to see happening, nice to see that 'bashing' to fix issues is noted as 'bending the rules' He He (I loved that bit)

So to all (not at the two quotes above) as 'wrinklyninja' said, dont bash Beth about what it changed because as he said it is a better way than what we had before, just needs a bit more time for them all to get it together.

Please use Link above if you want to see what is going on about Load Order management.

EDIT: Of course the only problem with BOSS is it's Master list, if you use a New Mod not on the list and that mod needs to be last (or first, or after ModA but before ModB) its a damn good idea to have some basic knowledge/experience on the best ways to arrange your mods. So jumping in there and getting your hands dirty trying load order arranging for yourself is still the best way to go. Well for me it is and I'm to old to change my ways He He.

Last edited by Breton Warrior: 03-01-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #10
keiskay2

Update: boss sent out a beta patch for the testers only, a working one is said to be released this weekend for everyone.
keiskay2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V > Steam Workshop for Skyrim