Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Old 08-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #16
BeastGod

Hi guys, I'm having some trouble getting this mod up and running. Could anyone help me out? The instructions at the Amalur Foundry site where I discovered the mod were confusing and incomplete, and for some reason I can't access the KoA forums at all (where the mod was originally posted, along with better instructions, I'd assume). The forums just won't load. I saw there was another difficulty mod called Youngneil Shapes Amalur, which I couldn't access either because it is hosted at the inaccessible forums.

I tried the standalone version, which was simple enough, but it doesn't let you modify any of the parameters AND it forces you to activate the various mod components in strict sequence, i.e. I would've been forced to take the "double mana cost for spells" thing, which I didn't want.

I then downloaded the "Full Table Version", along with the mandatory Cheat Engine. Much to my dismay, the Cheat Engine refused to find the mod at all or failed to display the pertinent tick boxes, and the one time I managed to get the list displayed and clicked the tick boxes to activate the mod components, it only worked until I quit the game later that day. It failed to initialize during my next play session, and again the Cheat Engine came up blank. And the only time the mod sort of worked it still failed to reduce my damage output, though it did increase the damage of my enemies.

Any help here? I've had a great time with the game so far, zero bugs etc, but it's gotten too easy since level 17 or so. I'm playing on hard difficulty with a might/sorcery hybrid. I'm also leveling up wayyyy too fast (already at 26, and I'm only in Detyre, not yet in Adessa), which means at this rate I'll hit the level cap long before I ever reach Alabastra. If I explore the Dead Kel DLC areas, I'll probably hit the lvl cap long before Klurikon! Over-leveling has been a problem in spite of not using the Reckoning Mode at all since level 23 and ignoring many of the side quests. Makes me think this aspect of the game was poorly designed/tested, even though it shines in other areas.
BeastGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #17
Biz_

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...=imvns&strip=1
Biz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #18
BeastGod

Thanks a ton, Biz! Much appreciated I think I can get the mod up and running now!
Old 08-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #19
Drowning Witch

heads up to anyone considering this mod. its quite amazing. i jsut completed the first dlc. together with the main game, im already at 170 hours of playtime and all with a single character.

this mod turns the game into an amazing experience. highly recommended.
Drowning Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #20
Jobesky

How can I get the mod to stick? Every time I exit the game I have to set up the mod again an leave it running, and even then it seems like some parts don't work. I'm getting 35xp for killing brownies and wolves, but I remember getting less than that earlier today. It's like this mod is bipolar.

How do I know if all of it is working? Damage and gold and stuff is fine, but the XP is weird, I think.
Jobesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #21
CrusaderGT

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngneil1 View Post
Heyhas fellow gamers,

I made a little difficulty mod that allows to very flexibly adjust game difficulty. The effect of the mod is freely scalabe and allows to change the following: damage done, damage received, mana cost, game speed, gold gained by selling or otherwise found, xp neeeded to level. I also added a difficulty score system for the fun of it and for comparions's sake.

Find out more here, if you like - HeartCore Mod:
http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/s...enge-in-Amalur

All the best

youngneil1
How the heck to you use this mod??? Looks simple but it's not working at all.
CrusaderGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #22
BeastGod

Crusader and Jobesky, I was initially pondering the same thing. Couldn't make any sense of the mod, and the full table version didn't work at all. In fact, it still doesn't work; the cheat engine refuses to find the mod. My solution was to simply install the standalone version and forget about tweaking the variables (which you can only do with the full table version); the default tweaks are pretty well-balanced; you only do 50% dmg, take 200% dmg, experience gain is reduced at least by half (don't remember exactly), healing potions no longer offer instant immortality, instead they become balanced and absolutely essential, etc etc.

I'm playing on hard, currently @ level 28 in the Erathell Plains, and the difficulty is absolutely spot-on, at times even a bit too challenging unless I keep myself well stocked on potions, whereas it used to be ridiculously easy on the vanilla hard setting. Leveling has slowed down very nicely, too, giving me hope that I can at least explore the Dead Kel expansion once I reach Rathir and not hit the level cap before I'm halfway through the game.

The way I'm using the standalone version of the mod is as follows: I simply start KoAR, load my latest save game, alt tab to desktop, crank up the mod (this has to be done every time you restart the game), press ctrl +1, +2, +3 and +4 in sequence to activate the first four parts of the mod, click myself back into the game and voila, there it is. I didn't want the mana nerf, which was the fifth component of the mod, I believe, so I stop at number 4. It's a shame, because component 6 is the reckoning nerf, but I don't mind since I generally avoid using the reckoning mode at all. And if I do use it, it's only in a life-or-death situation, and I don't mash the buttons upon execution so I don't get unwanted XP. Heh, funny how this game actually makes you dread leveling up.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #23
CrusaderGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastGod View Post
Crusader and Jobesky, I was initially pondering the same thing. Couldn't make any sense of the mod, and the full table version didn't work at all. In fact, it still doesn't work; the cheat engine refuses to find the mod. My solution was to simply install the standalone version and forget about tweaking the variables (which you can only do with the full table version); the default tweaks are pretty well-balanced; you only do 50% dmg, take 200% dmg, experience gain is reduced at least by half (don't remember exactly), healing potions no longer offer instant immortality, instead they become balanced and absolutely essential, etc etc.

I'm playing on hard, currently @ level 28 in the Erathell Plains, and the difficulty is absolutely spot-on, at times even a bit too challenging unless I keep myself well stocked on potions, whereas it used to be ridiculously easy on the vanilla hard setting. Leveling has slowed down very nicely, too, giving me hope that I can at least explore the Dead Kel expansion once I reach Rathir and not hit the level cap before I'm halfway through the game.

The way I'm using the standalone version of the mod is as follows: I simply start KoAR, load my latest save game, alt tab to desktop, crank up the mod (this has to be done every time you restart the game), press ctrl +1, +2, +3 and +4 in sequence to activate the first four parts of the mod, click myself back into the game and voila, there it is. I didn't want the mana nerf, which was the fifth component of the mod, I believe, so I stop at number 4. It's a shame, because component 6 is the reckoning nerf, but I don't mind since I generally avoid using the reckoning mode at all. And if I do use it, it's only in a life-or-death situation, and I don't mash the buttons upon execution so I don't get unwanted XP. Heh, funny how this game actually makes you dread leveling up.
Did that and still not working. I'm frustrated coz I really want to lessen the xp so I don't level up too fast and steamroll on higher level. Maybe it's not compatible with windows 7? CAn someone confirm this.
CrusaderGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #24
Biz_

I used the CheatEngine script outlined here

works on windows 7 64 bit
Biz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:37 AM   #25
BeastGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusaderGT View Post
Did that and still not working. I'm frustrated coz I really want to lessen the xp so I don't level up too fast and steamroll on higher level. Maybe it's not compatible with windows 7? CAn someone confirm this.
Check out the link provided by Biz. I couldn't get the mod running either from the link provided at the Amalur Foundry site, but the link Biz put up works! It's an upgrade from the previous one, I believe; the mod's name is YSA (Youngneil Shapes Amalur, "former Heartcore Mod version 6"), and it does much the same things as the Heartcore version, except it actually works.

Oh and btw, I'm also running windows 7 64 bit.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #26
Bague

none of the links here work anymore
Bague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #27
jojobanuts

Thumbs up

Hi, just signed up so I could post this.

First off, I must say thanks to youngneil1 for producing such an excellent mod. It really makes the game challenging and much tougher. Potions are no longer irrelevant, and pretty much every combat is a challenge. No more wading in and pasting everything in sight, dang I even have to run away, or avoid some of the big stuff!

If youíve not tried it yet, you donít know what youíre missing. Itís transformed my game. If youíre a bit confused by CheatEngine (the prog you need to run the mod), I say persevere with it! It is sooo well worth it.

Anyways, I noticed that the original forums where this mod was available are down, so people no longer have links to grab it / get info on it. So Iíve zipped it and put on Rapidshare here:
https://rapidshare.com/files/837142168/ysa_mod.zip

This mod is just too good to be lost out there.

Anyone wanting to try it will also need CheatEngine, available here:
http://www.cheatengine.org/

For folks info, in the zip Iíve also included a version of the cheat table that I adjusted to further reduce the exp gain to approx 1/3rd of vanilla, and changed the text colour of the modules that are not meant to activated to red for ease of use. Also included is a htm file of the original googlecache forum thread from where I originally downloaded the mod.

I have this running on Wndows 7 64bit BTW. I also don't bother activating the speedhack - vanilla speed is more than challenging enough for me

Hope this is useful for any peeps out there who wanna give this superb mod a shot

Cheers,
John
jojobanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #28
May90

This mod is just AMAZING! It really changes Amalur dramatically. I will speak about the version with increased game speed (115%).

Now you really have to stay focused pretty much all the time you are out in the wilds. Surely you will not get killed by a group of boggarts, but if you are not careful, they will hurt you much and you will have to spend a health potion which are very precious now: on early stages you even sometimes will lack of them as money come much slower than before and potions heal much less health.
More serious enemies pose a serious challenge. For example, I died 4 or 5 times by the first pack of wolves I encountered. I could defeat them only when I realized that it is possible to interrupt their knocking attack by hitting them right before they jump on you. And still it requires much skill and reaction to do so. Red Legion archers also killed me 2 or 3 times before I learned a tactics of hitting-dodging close to them, while avoiding melee guys' attacks. Kobolds in the first dungeon even made me run away to go back later when I get better gear! I do not remember in vanilla any enemies that I had to search a special tactics for, and now it becomes essential.
Bosses now are just deadly. Some of them are not that hard (I quickly found an easy dodging tactics for threshes), but others really make you stay focused all the fight not to die. First troll is hard, but the battle is manageable once you learn how to predict his next move. But one of the guys from the first Warsworn task (where you have to kill 2 guys and get their daggers to get recommendation for entering the Warsworn), the one with spear, killed me 2 times: he just hit so hard in combination with knocking down that after that I immediately got killed by archers - so I had to take out archers first, which was not easy, and then dodge around him for over a minute.

So now the picture is totally different. Previously I felt like a demigod, able to easily kill everything around, and even bosses felt like kids with toys in their hands. Now my hero is very cautious, feel just stronger than others, but still very vulnerable (like in the real world). She can't afford to get a random hit, and her skills in dodging is the only thing that lets her survive out there. Previously, approaching any boss, I thought, "Hmm, one more dead man... How boring!". Now it is more like, "Oh, this guy is tough. How do I defeat him? Let's think of something fast". And while even small boggarts take over 5 hits by heavy weapon to die, bosses fights are now really epic and take a few minutes to finish.

However, the difficulty is not ridiculously hard. If you have good reaction and skills and also patient, you will be able to avoid deaths pretty much all the time. Only now you will reach that by your skills, not by simple "hit, hit, one more hit, dead - next!".

Personally, I think this is how the game is meant to be. If this difficulty was introduced in the original game as "hard", no one would say now that the game is too easy. So, I don't care what developers or other people think, for me this is an official patch for Amalur and, from now on, I'll play it only with this mod. Thanks the author!

------------------------------------------

A few more things to mention.
1) Experience decreasing feels really hard! I've completed about 70% of Dalentarh (means completed 70% of quests), carefully exploring all areas completely - and I still have only level 7. In Ettinmare I had to fight while being level 5, and that was a nightmare, especially that quest where you have to kill 4 ettin shamas - I had to return later to complete it as by the time it was too challenging.
2) Health and mana regeneration decrease is maybe even more significant. Potions save in any situation, but sometimes you have to drink 5 of them in a row to fully restore your health, and you just can't carry that much - so health regen potions become essential, as well as constant dodging even when fighting boggarts. Mana regeneration is maybe even overdecreased: it takes minutes to fully restore mana, so mages WILL need to use mana potions constantly.
3) Money you get is now not enough at all. I'm balancing around bankruptsy constantly, selling all unequipped items and buying only potions - well, except for two trainings that took a fortune. So, if you really want to buy something expensive, you will have to save money for it, not like before when you came to a merchant and simply bought what you wanted, not even looking at it's price.

Last edited by May90: 11-05-2012 at 11:42 AM.
May90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #29
MeMyselfandI

I had this game for months (super Steam sale) but was discouraged to start it because of how easy I heard it was. I like a challenge in games, so I am happy to hear this mod works well. I've dloaded the essentials and will give it a spin soon.

Question... do you have to do the whole process to start this mod everytime you fire up KoA, or does it automatically continue working each time you load the game?

Last edited by MeMyselfandI: 01-02-2013 at 07:47 AM.
MeMyselfandI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #30
jojobanuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfandI View Post
Question... do you have to do the whole process to start this mod everytime you fire up KoA, or does it automatically continue working each time you load the game?
Hi,
Yes, you have to start it every time you fire up KoA (it becomes second nature though). However once it's running it stays working if you load a save, eg if you get killed etc
jojobanuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning