Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead

Old 03-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
sketchblo

Left 4 Dead SDK Update Released

Updates to the Left 4 Dead SDK are now available. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

- Fixed the preview window in modelbrowser.

FINALLY TROLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

JUST TOO ING LATE VALVE!
Old 03-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Francis_4_Dead

Well, that's...
Francis_4_Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
CosmicD

someone came out of their slumber and thought that it would be cool to fix 1 thing. It was the most annoying showstopper for hammer for over half a year but ok....
CosmicD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
tron00

I take full responsibility.. Please get in an orderly line to give me your thanks.. I took a different approach, instead of constantly whining and being a pain in the butt. So, Gabe did an interview at Penny Arcade, very recently. I got on his Valve email and sent a comment about the article, and then mentioned the problem with the model viewer. I got an email back a few days later from someone on the L4D2 team asking about it. I sent back some info and she said she would fix it - and did!
tron00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
tron00

!!!!! I just noticed your email is two days old. I just noticed you fixed it !!!!!!!

Thank you SO much!! This is awesome!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Very happily yours,
Ron

Sent: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:04 PM
To: 'Ron '
Subject: RE: [Contact Form] Penny Arcade interview

Sure enough, this broke when we ported L4D to the Mac! Sorry we missed this, but I’m glad Gabe forwarded your email so I could get this taken care of. If everything goes smoothly, we should be able to get this fix out tomorrow.

Best,
xxxx

Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:30 PM
To: xxxx

Hi, thanks for returning my email!

It’s in the Left 4 Dead 1 Authoring Tools. When you open the properties of a model, then click World Model, then Browse you will see that the
top right quadrant is blank. It should display the model. It has been broken a long time. I heard it was broken in L4D2 during the release of
The Sacrifice, as well. But it was fixed within a month. I map for L4D1, so I wouldn’t know.

Thanks very much for your attention to this problem! If I can be of any help, please let me know.

Thanks,

Ron
Cincinnati, Ohio

Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:27 PM
To: Ron

Hello Ron! I’m part of the L4D2 team, and I was wondering if you could elaborate on your problem with Model Viewer. The public version appears to work for me, but maybe there’s a specific feature that’s not working?

Thanks,
xxxxxx

Begin forwarded message:
Date: February 22, 2012 3:02:25 AM PST
To: Gabe Newell
Subject: [Contact Form] Penny Arcade interview
Hi, Gabe! I loved the article you did with Penny Arcade. It's always great to get an inside look into the company that we love. The last interview I read with you mentioned how Valve was mostly working on new developer tools. I know you guys are really busy, but the Left 4 Dead Authoring Tools became broken during The Sacrifice update. That was 16 months ago. The model viewer is busted. This makes map making for Left 4 Dead really time consuming. If you could address this with the right people we would be eternally grateful. I'm sure you're going to get a lot of "he didn't mention Half Life 3," but Left 4 Dead is my game. We just need the Authoring Tools solid and then we can take it from there.

Thanks a bunch!
Ron
Cincinnati, Ohio

ps. Loved the pics of your HQ! Beautiful place!

Last edited by tron00: 03-01-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
barneyinblue

Good job, tron00.
barneyinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
Acermors

Halle-frickin-lujah!
Acermors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
RainingMetal

That's good news. In your face L4D2 porting collaborators!
RainingMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
Pathbinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron00 View Post
I take full responsibility.. Please get in an orderly line to give me your thanks.. I took a different approach, instead of constantly whining and being a pain in the butt. So, Gabe did an interview at Penny Arcade, very recently. I got on his Valve email and sent a comment about the article, and then mentioned the problem with the model viewer. I got an email back a few days later from someone on the L4D2 team asking about it. I sent back some info and she said she would fix it - and did!
So, after all, all of those threads regarding the issue here and in the SDK sections weren't read. In any case, it's better than never. Though, they seem to increasingly take their time when pushing out single fixes for L4D1. This one beat the record of the broken main menu theme.
Pathbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
RainingMetal

Could you ask them if they'll release any more bug fixes and updates for Left 4 Dead 1?
Old 03-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
tron00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathbinder View Post
So, after all, all of those threads regarding the issue here and in the SDK sections weren't read. In any case, it's better than never. Though, they seem to increasingly take their time when pushing out single fixes for L4D1. This one beat the record of the broken main menu theme.
I said thanks a hundred times, then asked if there was a better way to report problems.

ANSWER: There’s isn’t really a better way of reporting currently – we try to look through the forums for issues but it’s easy to miss stuff with the amount of thread churn. Support will forward specific bugs, but direct email is often the easiest way.

While I completely believe this statement, the one thing I think they may be naively mistaken on is the Support people. I put at least 5 emails into those guys. I received only three responses, and all were - "we don't support the free tools."

Oh well. It's fixed! RainingMetal - sure. Is there something specific you're interested in? As I've stated elsewhere, once this was fixed I could care less about future DLCs or anything else. I think the mod community will respond to this fix.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
Pathbinder

"Pressing the flashlight key while using the Minigun causes a constant repitition of the flashlight click noise as well as flashing it on and off, until you stop using the minigun."

Would be nice if they also fixed that (as with L4D2). Hell, while we're at it, just toss them the bug thread and let them choose what to fix with minimal effort.
Pathbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
RainingMetal

This topic contains some suggestions:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2081930
Old 03-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
Keldorn

Incredibly late though, might of been useful 6 months ago to save time. (having it broken does waste time). I have for one decided to quit source mapping altogether, I'm really burned out from it now. Specially since there is no money in it. I would rather put that time now to making real money. Time for hobbies is over. :S
Keldorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #15
MohoMine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron00 View Post
Lies! Lies!
MohoMine is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead