Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 03-02-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
ChaosHydrA

Steam wont start in offline mode

Hi im having this issue for the first time, i lost my internet at home 2 days ago and for some reason it wont even start up in its offline mode? i cant play games like Alan Wake and Skyrim at all is there any way to fix this ?

All i get is a "steam could not connect to the network, please check your internet conenctions"

Im currently at some netcafe is there atleast a way i can configurer it from there so it will work at my home afterwards?
Old 03-02-2012, 02:11 AM   #2
Apheirox

I'm currently receiving the same error. First time I'm ever unable to connect so I believe the problem is on Steam's end. However, given the fact there are no people complaining about it here it could be it's just us.
Apheirox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:11 AM   #3
dxmc

The way it's worked for me, you have to open your client online, then go to the Steam tab, click on go offline. Steam will then restart and after that it will ask you every time you restart it if you want offline mode.
dxmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:13 AM   #4
Apheirox

If he has the same problem as me he can't even access Steam and switch between online and offline modes. Are you saying you can connect? Where are you located?
Old 03-02-2012, 02:15 AM   #5
Hardkorn

I believe that Skyrim dose not supported the Offline mode.
Hardkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:18 AM   #6
dxmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apheirox View Post
If he has the same problem as me he can't even access Steam and switch between online and offline modes. Are you saying you can connect? Where are you located?
I'm connected to Steam right now and I'm in Canada. What I'm saying is that the client doesn't automatically start on offline mode if there's no internet connection, you have to be online then switch over, at least that's been my experience. But if your'e asking whether Steam is down or not, no it isn't.

And Hardkorn is right, not all games can be played in offline mode.

Last edited by dxmc: 03-02-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:27 AM   #7
Ruptur3

@HardKorn

You,my good man,deserve a Hi five.
To the face.

You gotto prepare for offline mode when your online.

It is not steam's fault that you neglected preparing for offline mode.

Offline mode is working as expected.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...3160-AGCB-2555
Ruptur3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:36 AM   #8
Apheirox

@ dxmc I was locked into a situation where the client wouldn't even start up to let me access switching to offline mode.

@ Hydra I somehow got it working. I suspect it had to do with a lack of free harddrive space since I started downloading Shogun 2 through Steam which is a massive 20 GB download. Check how much free disk you have. Also, try deleting clientregistry.blob and appupdate.blob files from your Steam folder.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
dxmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apheirox View Post
@ dxmc I was locked into a situation where the client wouldn't even start up to let me access switching to offline mode.

@ Hydra I somehow got it working. I suspect it had to do with a lack of free harddrive space since I started downloading Shogun 2 through Steam which is a massive 20 GB download. Check how much free disk you have. Also, try deleting clientregistry.blob and appupdate.blob files from your Steam folder.
I belive that the OP said that he has no internet, not that he has internet but can't connect to Steam. I think you are talking about 2 different things.If the OP can connect to Steam on line with the client there is no need to do anything but switch to offline, if you have internet but can't connect to Steam that is a more complicated issue.

Last edited by dxmc: 03-02-2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
triadwarfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruptur3 View Post
@HardKorn

You,my good man,deserve a Hi five.
To the face.

You gotto prepare for offline mode when your online.

It is not steam's fault that you neglected preparing for offline mode.

Offline mode is working as expected.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...3160-AGCB-2555
Don't be rude to him. Maybe you do deserve a Hi 5 in the face.

Instant offline mode was still working 2004-2008. I used to have a dial up modem once and I can't afford to always go online and once there was a "huge" update, Either I had to uninstall the game or look for an "alternative source". Once I got broadband, I never really noticed that Steam doesn't go to offline mode "when needed" anymore.

Something changed in Steam. Before, you can start offline mode without having to manually set that you're going to offline mode while online first. (Although there were reliability issues back then when a game is 100% but cannot start because it was "not prepared to go to offline mode")

Although many people hate EA Origin, for some reason... because it can support offline mode properly (you can even log in without an internet connection assuming that you already logged in in the past) that's the reason why I'd prefer it over Steam. The other reason is that it can allow you to run an outdated game since the patch is downloaded separately. (I did have issues in the past where downloads would "fall back" but I think it's resolved now). I believe that Valve should fix basic features such as this.

Because of this kind of DRM, I'm trying to avoid Steam as much as possible. If you lose your internet connection unexpectedly, you won't be able to play your games until you go online again.
triadwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #11
Trippy72

Fix for offline mode (it worked for me anyway).

I had exactly this problem with the pre-installed Steam on my new Dell Alienware laptop. Offline mode would only work if I switched while online (which is pretty useless if your internet connection drops out unexpectdly).

But I found a fix on another forum: I went to the steam folder and deleted the file 'ClientRegistry.blob'. Then restarted Steam (online), and it immediately downloaded a large client update (which it never tried to do before). Then I switched it manually to offline mode once then back online.

It now works properly - it will start offline even if I left it in online mode after my last session.

Oh, and Skyrim works offline fine. In fact even 'Assassins Creed 2' and 'From Dust' work offline now (they originally both had the 'online only' DRM, but I guess Ubisoft changed their mind, or maybe it was always intended only for the initial sales period of the games).

Last edited by Trippy72: 06-24-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Trippy72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Tags
offline mode