Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dear Esther

Old 03-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
akito8

Lightbulb Dear Esther: Ghost Locations Guide!

Alrighty guys, basically I'm trying to make a guide video with all the locations of the "figures" or ghosts in the game and how to view them.

I know the location of some but I'd like to have a COMPLETE list of all the locales.

Here's what I have so far:

Chapter 1:
-Figure in the lighthouse at the beginning, look up the spiral stairs and you see a head retracting
-At the start of the journey go up the hill instead of following the beach. Then pass the first caved in path by walking on the ridge. Theres a small cave on top where the narrator will start talking about the hermit's cave. If you look into the cave you should see a faint figure holding a flashing light, before it quickly disappears.

Chapter 2:
-On the buoy level, in the area with the beached ships, if you take the path to the right you see a figure walking along the path to the left
-While approaching the house on the hill, there is a figure in the doorway which quickly retracts into the house as you get closer
-If you go behind the house on the hill and look into the unaccessable cave across the canyon, you see a figure holding a light that floats deeper into the cave and disappears

Chapter 3:
-Ghost behind waterfall before the dream sequence in Caves.

Chapter 4:
-Near the area with the paper boats on the beach, you can see a figure in the reflection of a single candle if looking at the right angle
-While ascending the cliff (After the paper boats) and you look across to an outcrop with a single candle, you can see a figure standing next to it
-At the end of the game while approaching the beacon, if you look up through the gated fence you see a figure standing there that fades as you approach

This is all I have for now, I'd love for a complete list so please reply if you know any other locations/details and I can keep this list updated for everyone! Thanks for your help in advance guys.

*EDIT*
I've also noticed from reading other threads that there are 3 different models you can see for the final figure (At the beacon) One is the usual hooded figure, the next is a fairly human looking figure, and the third is a decomposed figure with a burned face. Any more that you guys know of?

Last edited by akito8: 03-04-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
Ladicuis

There are allready a lot of videos found on these ghosts on youtube

but here are some updates for you:

-The house and the small cave near it are in chapter 2 actually.

-The ghost in the lighthouse can be seen earlier passing the window when you walk up the ramp.

-There's a light in the hermit's cave seen through a hole

-In chapter 3 there's a ghost behind a waterfall just before you have the road accident dream.
Ladicuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Romsey Dave

Ghost Lantern...the shadow in the window... and the ghost noise

In Chapter 1,

....approaching the lighthouse building, there is the already reported shadow that flits across the left hand window. Presumably this is the same ghost you mention that you see again at the top of the spiral stairs.

....after leaving the lighthouse, as you reach the end of the tunnel/cave, look across the inlet to the cave that you visit later the same chapter, there is (sometimes) a flashing lantern. I managed to get a screen shot or three of this - but there is no figure.

In Chapter 4,

... when standing on the car parts, near the reflecting ghost, you get a noise of a rusty spinning car axle.

HTH,
Dave
Romsey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
Ladicuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romsey Dave View Post
In Chapter 4,

... when standing on the car parts, near the reflecting ghost, you get a noise of a rusty spinning car axle.

HTH,
Dave
There are more spots where you hear sounds:

laughter near that pit between the beach and the house on the hill.

Speech when you are near those neatly stacked stones on the hill and behind the shed.

and more
Old 03-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
akito8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladicuis View Post
There are allready a lot of videos found on these ghosts on youtube

but here are some updates for you:

-The house and the small cave near it are in chapter 2 actually.

-The ghost in the lighthouse can be seen earlier passing the window when you walk up the ramp.

-There's a light in the hermit's cave seen through a hole

-In chapter 3 there's a ghost behind a waterfall just before you have the road accident dream.
Ah thanks for correcting me man, I'll fix that about the house on the hill. Also I did hear you could see the ghost in the lighthouse window, I'll add that too. As for the hermit cave, approximately where is it?
akito8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:45 AM   #6
Ladicuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by akito8 View Post
Ah thanks for correcting me man, I'll fix that about the house on the hill. Also I did hear you could see the ghost in the lighthouse window, I'll add that too. As for the hermit cave, approximately where is it?
At the start of the journey go up the hill instead of following the beach. Then pass the first caved in path by walking on the ridge. Theres a small cave on top where the narrator will start talking about the hermit's cave.

If you go into the cave at the end there's a hole where you can look across to the hermit's cave. Sometimes you will see a light flickering in it. Could be morse code.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:05 AM   #7
Ladicuis

!Spoiler Alert!

here is some proof of the ghost behind the waterfall :
Waterfall
Ghost

and the light in the cave:
Entrance
Light in the hermit cave (bit hard too see)
Old 03-03-2012, 03:24 AM   #8
Romsey Dave

Hermit Cave light (images to come)

As soon as my permissions allow me to post attachments I will upload the zoomed-in screenshots that I have of this. (BTW - Anyone know how long the presumed 'probation period' takes?)

The zoom setting is set via a console command mentioned somewhere else on these forums.

I was lucky to see the flashing light & just kept hitting F12

HTH,
Dave
Old 03-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
LinkOsa

I confirm for the ghost in Chapter 3, it is well behind the waterfall before the dream sequence.
But not all the time, It is a matter of luck.

Sorry for my bad English, Translate Google xP
LinkOsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
akito8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkOsa View Post
I confirm for the ghost in Chapter 3, it is well behind the waterfall before the dream sequence.
But not all the time, It is a matter of luck.

Sorry for my bad English, Translate Google xP
Alright cool, I'm going to replay again soon to see for myself but I'll take that as confirmed since two people have seen it
Old 03-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
Ladicuis

Quote:
Alright cool, I'm going to replay again soon to see for myself but I'll take that as confirmed since two people have seen it
It's a hard one to spot because of the falling water and it isn't always there. good luck.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #12
Romsey Dave

Question Faint figure??

Quote:
...Chapter 1:...you should see a faint figure holding a flashing light....
Flashing light or lantern, yes. It seems to pulse in a few groups of three or so flashes.

I am not so sure about a faint figure though. Have you seen this? I may stand to be corrected, but I think the distance too far & the light too faint (even with zoom) to see a figure.

Good luck with this project. It is something I was looking for, and would have found helpful

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited by Romsey Dave: 03-04-2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
akito8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romsey Dave View Post
Flashing light or lantern, yes. It seems to pulse in a few groups of three or so flashes.

I am not so sure about a faint figure though. Have you seen this? I may stand to be corrected, but I think the distance too far & the light too faint (even with zoom) to see a figure.

Good luck with this project. It is something I was looking for, and would have found helpful

Cheers,
Dave
I haven't seen it for myself in game but I've seen a few videos on youtube showing the figure when they zoom in through console.

Also thanks for your interest :3
I've been really busy lately and haven't gotten to actually record anything yet but once I finish a current project I'll start on the video guide. For now I'm just gonna keep updating the list on here!
Old 03-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
Romsey Dave

Existing YouTube Video

This seems to have all of them, apart from any cave ghosts, and the author admits at the end to not having encountered any there, which is, thus far, as per my experience...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFkSS...eature=related

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dear Esther