Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 03-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
Moatillata

Steam app on PS Vita

so the steam mobile app is on iOS and android. the steam app would be perfect on the Vita store. obviously this isn't planned and there's no word of this as of yet, but is there any possibility that it may end up on the vita store?
or the better question would be, is there anything keeping the steam app from coming to the vita store?
Old 03-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Microshocky

Banned
Sony would have to be pretty open to what Apps are allowed on their system. And then they'd have to figure out if it's worth it to have a store they don't make money off, on their system.
Microshocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
teH_angRy_nIgHt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microshocky View Post
Sony would have to be pretty open to what Apps are allowed on their system. And then they'd have to figure out if it's worth it to have a store they don't make money off, on their system.
Does Steam sell games that the Vita store does?
teH_angRy_nIgHt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Microshocky

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by teH_angRy_nIgHt View Post
Does Steam sell games that the Vita store does?
Why would that play into it? They're trying to sell their own stuff on the Vita, not others.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
teH_angRy_nIgHt

Quote:
Why would that play into it? They're trying to sell their own stuff on the Vita, not others.
Because:
1. The vita wants to do more than just gaming, it also wants to be your media device, offering music and video playback.

2. It's got wifi, playing into #1, and like other mobile devices, the more services it can offer, the better. It may, in some ways, have to compete with other mobile devices, even the android, iPhone and iPad, Kindle Fire, not the least, the 3DS. Why wouldn't it boost the services it offers to match or overtake the others?

3. Why exactly is Steam on mobile, anyway? How many of their games are on mobile? How many of their games are offered in Vita's store? From the Steam page for it's service, it's for chatting with friends and just checking the store for sale updates for PC games. So I don't see how any of Steam's sales are going to conflict with anything Sony is selling.

It's an extra service that will make the Vita more attractive, if Sony cares about its current customers, and gaining new ones, I don't see why they shouldn't be considering it, and if it helps Steam get it's product to it's customers, I don't see why Steam shouldn't be looking into it.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Microshocky

Banned
Quote:
Because:
1. The vita wants to do more than just gaming, it also wants to be your media device, offering music and video playback.

2. It's got wifi, playing into #1, and like other mobile devices, the more services it can offer, the better. It may, in some ways, have to compete with other mobile devices, even the android, iPhone and iPad, Kindle Fire, not the least, the 3DS. Why wouldn't it boost the services it offers to match or overtake the others?

3. Why exactly is Steam on mobile, anyway? How many of their games are on mobile? How many of their games are offered in Vita's store? From the Steam page for it's service, it's for chatting with friends and just checking the store for sale updates for PC games. So I don't see how any of Steam's sales are going to conflict with anything Sony is selling.

It's an extra service that will make the Vita more attractive, if Sony cares about its current customers, and gaining new ones, I don't see why they shouldn't be considering it, and if it helps Steam get it's product to it's customers, I don't see why Steam shouldn't be looking into it.
It's the same reason Microsoft doesn't have the iOS App Store on Windows Phone 7 even if Apple wanted it on there.

They're trying to sell PSN/Vita games on the Vita, not promote Steam. Considering they're both video game stores, they do compete.
And a Steam app is hardly going to single handedly coerce anyone into buying a Vita. Don't be silly.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
teH_angRy_nIgHt

Quote:
It's the same reason Microsoft doesn't have the iOS App Store on Windows Phone 7 even if Apple wanted it on there.

They're trying to sell PSN/Vita games on the Vita, not promote Steam. Considering they're both video game stores, they do compete.
Isn't the difference that iOS App Store and I-devices and Windows Phone and associated store will be directly competing?

How are Steam and Vita competing against each other? Unless you mean the PS3, but if someone buys a PS3 or sticks with steam games. Then I guess I could understand that.

Quote:
And a Steam app is hardly going to single handedly coerce anyone into buying a Vita. Don't be silly.
I'm not saying it will, but it wouldn't hurt, would it? I don't even understand how it's any more benefit to an android or any mobile device, no more or less than a Vita, so I'd imagine why not, while they're at it.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Microshocky

Banned
Let me see, a Steam app that has the Steam store, that sells videogames..doesn't compete with the PSN Store, that sells videogames. Hmmmmm.

Nah, people have separate budgets for PC and handheld gaming, so they're completely different. This is sarcasm by the way.

I'm not saying this wouldn't be good, I'm just going through Sony's chain of thought. They probably wouldn't go for it.

Last edited by Microshocky: 03-05-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #9
notdeadyet01

We are lucky thar we got it for for 2 platforms, and you want to gi forcing it on Vita.
notdeadyet01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
teH_angRy_nIgHt

I didn't really look at it as "PSN" before, I guess that kind of makes sense

I wish they'd do it anyway? xD
Old 03-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
Lord_I666

I hate to be the anti-joke chicken here, but; STEAM IS FOR ---+++-PC-+++--- GAMING. not for sh*tty consoles. no offence intended, console gamers, but my PCs Graphics card ALONE- has 3 times more computing power then an ENTIRE X-box360 system
Lord_I666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
BlowitAllUp

I was about to make a new thread about this one. I was mainly a PC gamer and WOW....

The PS Vita is the best handheld gaming device ever made by man.
BlowitAllUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #13
DeathNimrod

Quote:
Because:
3. Why exactly is Steam on mobile, anyway?
To chat with friends...
DeathNimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
thorvaaldr

To buy games while you're in your car.
thorvaaldr is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas