Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Painkiller series

Old 03-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Iconoclast XVII

Recurring Evil - From a Fan...

Who the made this ? I loved Painkiller, Battle out of Hell, and Overdose. Some of what I played of Resurrection was good (half to most of it). Then Redemption and this came along. I only played the first level of Redemption and not even the entire first level of this, and I'm starting to wonder where the "hey, let's build a level that is a 1/4 the size of anything from the original game, have all the different monsters spawn for 5-10 minutes, open up a new hallway, then repeat" game from. I don't remember every sitting in the same area fighting the same monsters that kept spawning over and over again anywhere in the early games. If that did happen it was subtle enough that you didn't notice (2-3 waves, not 15).

The earlier games were great because of level design. The level design was amazing, and part of that was also the monsters and how they spawned. Some enemies you only saw in certain levels, and they seemed to fit with the levels. This seems like you were seeing how many enemies you could throw in, and just trying to make an arena every 10 feet rather than actually design a good level.

And seriously? 6-9 witch doctors, on the first level, where the challenge is to only use the painkiller, which doesn't even seem to work half the time? I shoot it right through monsters and it doesn't even phase them. Not to mention console commands don't seem to work anymore, either.

Painkiller used to be one of my favorite games, and I still had hope with all the new ones coming out, but it looks like they just keep getting worse and worse, being nothing more than a way for developers to milk the name dry.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
wingers17

Have to agree, it gets monotonous having all the enemies at once, half the fun was discovering new monsters on the levels. No new Monsters? Still no one liners from the main character? That was one of the best parts of the original game. Without it, feels like there is something missing.

Have to say: Meh. But, I keep buying, hoping it will get better, it hasn't.

If the games keep going like this, this may be the last I buy. Oh, well, everything must come to an end...
wingers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
Eggtooth

Cheats:
SETA_MAX_AMMO_1
SETA_HEALTH_MAX_1
SETA_PKPOWER_1
SETA_PAINENGINE_PLAYER_GODMODE_1
SETA_PAIN_MONSTERS_GIB_1
SETA_MONSTERHP_1
SETA_PAIN_ENABLE_DEMON_1
SETA_PAIN_LEVEL_FINISH
SETA_PAIN_KEEP_DECALS_1

I am also not happy with the final effect. Thankfully I were only a small part of this project. Most has been done by Med-Art
Eggtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Iconoclast XVII

Ah, so they've changed them. I'm still used to the old pkpower, pkdemon, etc. I think the game would actually move up to the "good" rank (in my opinion) if the waves were cut down a lot. I managed to go back and finish the first level, then get to the second and it was even worse.
Iconoclast XVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
jbailey8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggtooth View Post
Cheats:
SETA_MAX_AMMO_1
SETA_HEALTH_MAX_1
SETA_PKPOWER_1
SETA_PAINENGINE_PLAYER_GODMODE_1
SETA_PAIN_MONSTERS_GIB_1
SETA_MONSTERHP_1
SETA_PAIN_ENABLE_DEMON_1
SETA_PAIN_LEVEL_FINISH
SETA_PAIN_KEEP_DECALS_1

I am also not happy with the final effect. Thankfully I were only a small part of this project. Most has been done by Med-Art
Cheats don't seem to work....
jbailey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
howdoidesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingers17 View Post
Have to agree, it gets monotonous having all the enemies at once, half the fun was discovering new monsters on the levels. No new Monsters? Still no one liners from the main character? That was one of the best parts of the original game. Without it, feels like there is something missing.

Have to say: Meh. But, I keep buying, hoping it will get better, it hasn't.

If the games keep going like this, this may be the last I buy. Oh, well, everything must come to an end...
I don't think there were one liners in Painkiller or Battle out of Hell? And the game were better for not having them, just fyi.
howdoidesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
Juonar

The game died when People Can Fly studio left it. So, basicly only decent one is the original and it's expansion. Overdose isn't bad but you can feel how it gets sloppy already. Everything else after Overdose is just terrible.

Last edited by Juonar: 03-05-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Juonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
herbage

I have to agree. The fun stopped after Overdose. For the record Resurrection is the biggest peice of video game I have ever heard of. The level designs are an example of what NOT to do. Let's get the old schoolers together and make a real Fan-Made game....one that doesn't suck.
herbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:54 AM   #9
Terepin

RE is definitely an improvement. It's A LOT better than Res, but still worse than Overdose. Egg, you have at disposal tens of fans willing to spare their free time on new maps. I myself came with over 50 new levels. We have Skype and G+, we can quite easily manage to come with something that will honor original PK. We don't need new models, or new music. What we need are new levels with SAME gameplay mechanics. It could be another Expansion Pack, runnable within PKBE.

Last edited by Terepin: 03-14-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Terepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
Hi2u! Tw1TcH

While I enjoy what has been released, I do think it's ran it's course.

PK no longer needs anything at all made on this engine, with these weapons, with these monsters. It's ran it's course, it's had it's day. Chalk it up anyway you want to, word it anyway you would like, PK should never release another DLC/mappack/newgame/newminigame/whatever on this engine again.

It's done.

It's been fun, but it's over.

Many felt this way after overdose. I enjoyed the 3 mini-releases, but no more. Please.

Again, I am thankful the three mini-releases happened. But man, don't do anymore, it won't do any favors for the game, for the title, for the gameplay.

Then you get the 20 people complaining in here about what it needs, how it should have been, what could still be done. No, just no. It's over, face facts. Nothing further will help the game, it's reputation, it's title, it's future.

It's been a hell of a ride. But the ride has ended.
Hi2u! Tw1TcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #11
Eggtooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi2u! Tw1TcH View Post
While I enjoy what has been released, I do think it's ran it's course.

PK no longer needs anything at all made on this engine, with these weapons, with these monsters. It's ran it's course, it's had it's day. Chalk it up anyway you want to, word it anyway you would like, PK should never release another DLC/mappack/newgame/newminigame/whatever on this engine again.

It's done.

It's been fun, but it's over.

Many felt this way after overdose. I enjoyed the 3 mini-releases, but no more. Please.

Again, I am thankful the three mini-releases happened. But man, don't do anymore, it won't do any favors for the game, for the title, for the gameplay.

Then you get the 20 people complaining in here about what it needs, how it should have been, what could still be done. No, just no. It's over, face facts. Nothing further will help the game, it's reputation, it's title, it's future.

It's been a hell of a ride. But the ride has ended.
I can only say that you're wrong in some part, in some not.
Eggtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #12
dmanthey

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbage View Post
I have to agree. The fun stopped after Overdose. For the record Resurrection is the biggest peice of video game I have ever heard of. The level designs are an example of what NOT to do. Let's get the old schoolers together and make a real Fan-Made game....one that doesn't suck.
Thanks for the warning. I was a big time PK fan but Redemption was bad. If Recurring Evil is worse, I won't even bother.
dmanthey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Painkiller series