Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic

Old 03-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
markcocjin

Rumour: Valve said to be working on 'Steam Box' gaming console with partners

Recently there's been chatter that Valve — the company behind the massively popular gaming service Steam — has been considering getting into the hardware business. Specifically, there have been rumors that the company has been toying with the idea of creating a proper set-top console which could potentially pose a threat to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Valve co-founder Gabe Newell even recently told Penny Arcade: "Well, if we have to sell hardware we will."

In the whole article, there's more speculation and more rumours supporting bigger rumours. Of course this is not real news but when you think about it, Steam's Big Picture Mode still hasn't made an appearance in Steam.

"We're hearing that a wide variety of USB peripherals will be compatible with the boxes, though it will likely ship with a proprietary controller. It's possible that the controller will even allow for swappable components, meaning that it can be reconfigured depending on the type of game you're playing. Think that sounds odd? Well Valve filed a patent for such a device last year."

Abstract:

A game controller is provided. One or more main control input interfaces on the game controller consist of generalized sockets. A variety of modular input interfaces can be plugged into these sockets. Hardware specific to the input type of the modular input is contained within the modular input itself, and plugged in via an interface. This allows for dual analog sticks, a combination of analog and trackball, or further any combination of touchpad, directional pad, or additional components.

Mike Ambinder is Valve's resident Psychologist. We've known Valve to also experiment with Biofeedback. And openly endorse controllers such as the Razer Hydra. There's also that much misunderstood Razer PC tablet with controllers for handles which perfectly lets you take your Steam library with you wherever you go.

Whatever happens, if it was just a rumour, I'm pretty contented with what Valve has been doing so far. But the reason why I love this company is because they're not contented. And to do something as crazy as this, is just typical of them.

Last edited by markcocjin: 03-02-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
CoffeeCrazy

The real question is, will my games cost $50 on Steam Box, or $60 like the Xbox/PS3? If it was just a mirror of the PC-Steam games, that would be nice.

PC/Steam Box multiplayer cross-play? Could be interesting!
CoffeeCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
FriedGerry

They should make middle buttons like the Xbox controller and make it Gaben's face
Pressing it delays Episode 3 and gives them hat ideas for TF2
FriedGerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
Mivo

This would basically be one of those "console-shaped" PCs in a very slim, set-top case? Running regular PC games? Or an actual console with specially developed games?
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
supernaut

Banned
I'm having a hard time processing this.
supernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
Baller

im pretty sure it's just gonna be a PC configured by valve.
Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #7
markcocjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baller View Post
It's like a PC where Valve instead of Microsoft calling the shots and telling everyone how to conform to a format.
markcocjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
Sgt.Gotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baller View Post
Well, yeah, it'd have to be, I think, to have access to Steam's games wouldn't it? They'd be hard pressed to persuade developers into making games for yet another independent platform.

I'm sure Valve sees the appeal in being able to put a simple and capable machine into the living room -- especially one that has access to a massive database of games.

I'd say it'd be the biggest thing the company has ever attempted if they were serious about it. I doubt they'll take the leap without ensuring they're going to land on something, though.

Also, patent forms are a mess.

Last edited by Sgt.Gotee: 03-03-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Sgt.Gotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #9
MrSniker

I'd like to see Valve to allow users to choose where to install Steam games instead of the default /Steam file.

We'll probably see this console before that happens. Dare to dream!
MrSniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #10
Penguin1992

*reads title, nothing else*

I will believe it when I see it.

And I doubt any of us will ever see it.
Penguin1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:26 AM   #11
Apply

Something to wirelessly steam from my PC to the living room TV would be fantastic.
Apply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:16 AM   #12
markcocjin

If this is true, I think it's a manifestation of all the things Valve has been saying lately.

Current console companies cannot rise about corporate interest to actually provide a pro-consumer service. They're constantly trying to find ways to milk the consumer by compromising their service. They believe that people, on their own accord would not want to reward the providers of entertainment with revenue. So corporations have an attitude that is basically hostile towards their customers.

Enter Apple. Apple enjoys the feverish fanaticism of not only its loyal customers but also the media at large. Apple is, in the eyes of the masses, the symbol of cutting edge technology. Apple in fact is no different than other companies on how they want total control in order to guarantee profit.

Apple now wants to be part of your living room and essentially, be the masters of your home entertainment. Valve needs to step in because they have better ideas in which to serve us. I've known Valve long enough to know the difference between them and other companies. I think I know what I'm saying when I say that gaming is safer in their hands.

If this rumour of the Steam Box is false, we still now for certain that Valve has plans for a more versatile entertainment platform that goes beyond desktop PC. It's still PC of course. Anything more powerful would still be a PC.

I just can't figure out what to call a PC that's used by the entire household. A Family Computer?
markcocjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:24 AM   #13
GirlPower23

As pointed out in the other thread. This either means Valve wants to attempt to Standardize PC Hardware which is a double edged sword. Some benefits and some cons.

Alternatively this could be just for a GamePad made specifically for Big Screen Mode. Which is nice and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcocjin View Post

I just can't figure out what to call a PC that's used by the entire household. A Family Computer?
You don't share your current PC with your household? (Assuming you have some family or love interest)
GirlPower23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:31 AM   #14
Naruzuru

If the thing can help pull more devs towards the pc, I'm all for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcocjin View Post
Famicom? That's nintendo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlPower23
You don't share your current PC with your household? (Assuming you have some family or love interest)
You do? I still shudder from the memory of sharing a desktop with them. It took them no less than a month to slow down that desktop to a crawl with malware and rubbish after I built another rig for myself.
Naruzuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:37 AM   #15
GirlPower23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruzuru View Post
You do? I still shudder from the memory of sharing a desktop with them. It took them no less than a month to slow down that desktop to a crawl with malware and rubbish after I built another rig for myself.
I let my boyfriend use my PC. However, yea, I probably wouldn't share it with a ton of people. Although that's because it's my PC. Generally families only own one or two PC's they share among them all.
GirlPower23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic