Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V > Steam Workshop for Skyrim

Old 03-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
Wozza365

Skyrim mods not working!!

Ive subscribed to multiple mods on the workshop and none of them are working, ive done the bit where i hover over data files to start the download but still none of them work, is there something I'm missing? i would like to get the mods sorted ASAP

thanks
Old 03-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Wozza365

If i could get an answer ASAP that would be great
Wozza365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
Breton Warrior

They should auto-download after you have subscribed to them the next time you start the game, 'hover' over the Data Files to start the download? I'm unsure what you mean as the only thing you should need to do with Data Files is click on it to open the list of Mods you have.

Try that and see what the mod list shows, if the names are in there have they got a X in front of them? The X means they are selected to be used and normally your subscrided mods will automatically be selected for use.

The only thing I could suggest if they are not in your Data Files is to check your subscribed list in the Workshop to make sure your subscribing is showing. You may need to unsubscribe a mod then run Skyrim then re-subscribe to the same mod to see if it downloads when you start Skyrim again, the system may just need a kick up the backside to remind it to do its job, He He

Last edited by Breton Warrior: 03-03-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Breton Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
Wozza365

yes thats what i meant, they autodownloaded after starting the game

im pretty sure they all have ticks next to them although it may be a cross

they are also showing as subscribed on steam
Old 03-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Breton Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozza365 View Post
yes thats what i meant, they autodownloaded after starting the game

im pretty sure they all have ticks next to them although it may be a cross

they are also showing as subscribed on steam
That is odd? try a google on "Mods downloading but not working" as thats something I've not seen myself (in my game)

BTW, what mods are you using? as I may have them as well and maybe try one more but pick something that is so 'obvious' you can really easilly confirm if it is or is not working. Maybe something that changes the weight of potions so you can see that straight away in your inventory.

Other than that I'm sorry I really have no definitive answer. Best of luck, keep posting anything that may help help pinpoint the problem and maybe someone else may have better help than i can offer.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
Wozza365

I have only downloaded texture/graphics mods so far, so these should be obvious straight from playing, but there is no difference in any textures
Old 03-04-2012, 02:04 AM   #7
kav2k

Try to weak the mod load order. There may be a conflict there.
kav2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:34 AM   #8
Wozza365

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav2k View Post
Try to weak the mod load order. There may be a conflict there.
weak?

Surely if there was a conflict only certain ones wouldnt load, but none of them seem to be loading
Old 03-04-2012, 05:04 AM   #9
Breton Warrior

What Mods are you trying to use Wozza365? I'll check back tomorrow and have a look if I can try them myself, all from the Workshop thats right?

Maybe with the names we might see from the description if something looks like it might be causing your problem, textures normally are one of the more straight forward ones. Well they can be a pain in the *** sometimes as well, double check they are selected (with a cross) and look in your Skyrim Data Folder to see if the Mod/Mods have an ESP and a BSA files used?

I'll do my best to check back again during tomorrow, BW
Old 03-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #10
Wozza365

from what i read the texture ones are usually just editing the pictures within the game files, no code change at all for most of them..

HQ Workbench/Grindstone
Better Dynamic Snow
High res Texture Pack 02
Vibrant Auroras
That's Ice
Terrain Bump
Realistic Water Textures & Terrain
Lush Grass and trees
Kerplunk - Watery Rocks
Cozier Villages - Exterior Only
Real Glaciers
Ultra Grass
Static Mesh Improvement
Better Riften
Better Whiterun
Breezehome Shadow Fix
Riften HQ Texture Part 2
Enhanced Blood Textures

that is all of them, i see some of them are similar ill disable a few

2 of them also brought up errors every time they tried downloading, i unsubscribed these although they were not in the list anyway
Old 03-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
Breton Warrior

Wow a lot of Texture Mods, He He. No seriouslly some of them are not adding textures thet are just changing how things look, Better Whiterun and Riften by the size of the file for download should not be adding any textures. They are just adding more stuff with the CK so really they should be working? So try those areas with the Mods turned off, have a good look around and then turn them back on, if a basic .ESP mod is not working Ummm Not Sure?

Now to what basically happens when you first install Skyrim, there is no texture folder in your Data Folder because all the game Meshes and Textures are in those Skyrim BSA Archives. So some texture mods just add their work by creating the Texture Folder with the correct file structure inside it to make the game use their new textures and not the Vanilla.

This basically works because the Skyrim INI has the Vanilla BSA Archives listed and so it loads the other "loose files" in the 'Texture Folder' instead of the Vanilla ones. It is a little bit more in depth than that (I think) but that is close enough. BUT with the Beth HiRes Packs they are not listed in the Archive BSA information in your .INI and that does stop some other textures from working. That is true I have seen it happen with some of my own texture changes and when browsing on the subject I found an odd "two belly buttons" reference which I followed to a Mod here at the Workshop. CBBE Curvy is a simple body re-tex (not nude which I would not use BTW) but if you read its description it confirms that the HiRes BSA's can stop other textures working and it gives a very clear way to work around it.

Look at that and try what it suggests about adding the Beth HisRes BSA to the .INI list, it may bring some of those 'loose' ones back into your game. Then we can try other ideas O/K.

BTW: I have gone one step beyond that 'work around' I have unpacked the Beth HiRes BSA's and just added the ones I really want to use into the 'loose' texture folder, plus a mix of other texture mods I like. BSA's are a good way to 'pack' a lot of data but are not actually any quicker for the game to use that data inside them. In fact it is slightly smoother for the game to use the loose file system, (not just my opinion BTW) the BSA method works sort of like a Zip file does.

PS: Damn I reckon thats one of my biggest post's? Good Luck, BW

Last edited by Breton Warrior: 03-04-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #12
Wozza365

i will have to do this later either way, but do you think it would be easier to download them from nexus or something?
Old 03-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #13
Breton Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozza365 View Post
i will have to do this later either way, but do you think it would be easier to download them from nexus or something?
Firstly you could just try turning of the BethHiResPack and see if anything does seem to change, I'm pretty convinced your problem with some Textures may be related to the Beth HiRes BSA but it is hard to really know just talking about it like this?

Like I said the Better Whiterun and Riften Mods and even maybe the Breezehome Shadow Fix one should be working as they should not be adding Textures. All three are very obvious in game if they are working, plus I know a couple of the others from the Workshop do work as I got mine from there as well???

Sorry Mate I seem to be making it all seem harder than it should be, there is probably some stupid simple explanation that is so obvious it just cannot be seen?

TBH in regard to downloads I really like what Workshop has to offer and the way it does it for the newer mod users, but I do also prefer to download the Zip file version and look inside it before I install.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
peacemon

The High-Res Texture Pack must be above all other texture mods in the load list, but if it is, I have no idea really what's going wrong...
peacemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #15
Breton Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacemon View Post
The High-Res Texture Pack must be above all other texture mods in the load list, but if it is, I have no idea really what's going wrong...
It is an oddity that the Beth HiRes Packs while replacing the originals seems to stop or effect some other mods trying to change those same particular textures.

I've read a couple of different opinions on adding those BSA's and/or others into the .INI archive list to help work with them.

I just unpacked them all and used the ones I wanted, had no issues with any other 'custom' textures after that??? Great Fun

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V > Steam Workshop for Skyrim