Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Assassin's Creed series

Old 03-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
ajwitkowski

Does the control--scheme get better after AC2?

I played AC1 on the XBox and the controls were fine for the controllers limitations. I can't stand the controls in ACII. It screams "We made no effort to adapt the controls from the XBox to the keyboard".
  • Constantly changing key functions
  • Not being able to toggle auto-run
  • A weapon wheel where you can't use a scroll wheel??
  • Only assigning quick-keys to 4 items

Is it like this in all the iterations of the AC games?
Old 03-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
WhyFi

Yup, my 2 cents. Hook up your xbox controller to your PC and use that. Works like a charm and wouldn't want to play all the AC games any other way!
WhyFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
ParadoxSalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Yup, my 2 cents. Hook up your xbox controller to your PC and use that. Works like a charm and wouldn't want to play all the AC games any other way!
Seconded. 360 controller has nearly become standard equipment for a PC these days. There's no reason not to own one. I understand wanting to use M/K for certain genres, but there's no real precision aiming needed for Assassin's Creed series.
ParadoxSalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
ajwitkowski

Thanks for the responses. I think I probably will just use an XBox controller, probably this one

I've noticed lack of a decent keyboard/mouse interface more and more with games (Skyrim and Driver:SF come immediately to mind).
ajwitkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
ParadoxSalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwitkowski View Post
Thanks for the responses. I think I probably will just use an XBox controller, probably this one

I've noticed lack of a decent keyboard/mouse interface more and more with games (Skyrim and Driver:SF come immediately to mind).
Yes, please. I always recommend first party hardware, and in the case of a Windows OS, Microsoft is first party.

Third parties do make good XBox controllers, I had an excellent one that was branded for CoD:Blops by Madcatz, but it had some minor compatibility issues with certain games. Also, for the first two AC games, the triggers and bumpers were reversed.

Since switching to the official MS gamepad, I haven't had ANY compatibility issues.

Skyrim does handle remarkably well with a pad. As for Driver, I can't imagine playing a racing game on keyboard..

..well, I can. I did back in the day. Old need for speed and Carmageddon games. But it sucked.
ParadoxSalem is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Assassin's Creed series