Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 03-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
Bastiat

Price system is really c...

Hi,

The developpers should really do something for the price system.
I am economist, it should not be really dificult to do something to simulate the supply and demand law.

The daggers (or else) sold and less than the metal itself...

And change things like dagger whose weight of metal is 2, 3 or 4 and built with a bar of gold whose weight is only 1 ... It's instant generation ?

PLEASE

Last edited by Bastiat: 03-07-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
A. James

No, no, no! Thank you!
A. James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
Rotant

Supply and demand law*

Also it is quite difficult to simulate a fully functional economy in a game.
Rotant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
hawk318

Sure maybe for basic weps and items..... but how do you put a price on magical items?

The game does well in that aspect.... After all remember you're in Skyrim's world of economics. Skyrim is not in our world od economics.....

Who knows a dagger of Dwarven metal might not be worth crap, it could be the craftsmanship that gives the dagger the value, not the metal.
hawk318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
BobitoZ

The dagger is a perfect example of over saturation. Almost every single "bad guy" has a dagger of some sort in their inventory.

To me, it make perfect sense that it would cost less than the materials to produce it.

Now, if you save those daggers and fill them with them petty souls that makes it Turn the Undead. Then it becomes something NPCs want. Turning a profit.

Last edited by BobitoZ: 03-04-2012 at 10:04 AM.
BobitoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
Haldur

Try this mod --
Economics of Skyrim

It's not exactly what you are looking for, but it does at least make prices and availability change based on geographic location.

One problem with simulating supply and demand is that the player is a single, albeit unrealistic, data point on the supply/demand curve. Also, you have to realize that people who use mods, tend to use LOTS of mods, many of which add new items and/or change existing items. That makes the whole endeavor of simulating an economy huge.

In any case, If you want to be truly realistic, prices should also be affected by local and national events, such as mines being taken over by Foresworn, the activities of the thieves guild, and so on. Some shops should probably completely go out of business if you rob them repeatedly -- just something to think about.

Also, because of the war, prices could get out of control -- rampant inflation, food and raw material shortages, profiteering, black markets and smuggling, and so on could be simulated. I guess it depends on how long the war lasts, of course.
Haldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
Staind716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldur View Post
Try this mod --
Economics of Skyrim

It's not exactly what you are looking for, but it does at least make prices and availability change based on geographic location.

One problem with simulating supply and demand is that the player is a single, albeit unrealistic, data point on the supply/demand curve. Also, you have to realize that people who use mods, tend to use LOTS of mods, many of which add new items and/or change existing items. That makes the whole endeavor of simulating an economy huge.

In any case, If you want to be truly realistic, prices should also be affected by local and national events, such as mines being taken over by Foresworn, the activities of the thieves guild, and so on. Some shops should probably completely go out of business if you rob them repeatedly -- just something to think about.

Also, because of the war, prices could get out of control -- rampant inflation, food and raw material shortages, profiteering, black markets and smuggling, and so on could be simulated. I guess it depends on how long the war lasts, of course.
I agree with this completely. As an economist you should know that no economy is static. It is a constantly fluctuating scale that takes an enormous amount of variables into consideration. To implement this into a constantly modded game such as Skyrim would be an almost impossible task to do correctly. Plus, come on, it's a game.
Staind716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Capn Tucker

I'd be happy if merchants had more than 750 GP to buy my stuff. Or even if they just retained the money they make when I buy things. I can buy several thousand septims worth of goods, but the very next time I walk in the store the shopkeep is back to 750 gold again. Extremely irritating!
Capn Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
SirAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Tucker View Post
Or even if they just retained the money they make when I buy things. I can buy several thousand septims worth of goods, but the very next time I walk in the store the shopkeep is back to 750 gold again. Extremely irritating!
I agree ...
SirAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
hawk318

Yeah there was one shop early on I wondered if shops were replenished, so I walked outside and waited 24 hours which seems to be the norm for games (guess the guy has to go to the bank in the morning) anyway, then nrxt day he had cash again and I sold the rest.

Just can't get it through my old noggin' why yhe hell anyone would want to change a game so it mimics real life monetarily wise...... You bought the game to escape the riggors of everyday life.... RPG.... "Role" "Playing" "Game"....

Seems to me this would mean that...we're playing a role in the world that had been created for us....let's play it that way
Old 03-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
Staind716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Tucker View Post
I'd be happy if merchants had more than 750 GP to buy my stuff. Or even if they just retained the money they make when I buy things. I can buy several thousand septims worth of goods, but the very next time I walk in the store the shopkeep is back to 750 gold again. Extremely irritating!
Try this if you want the merchants to have more gold available. You can choose either 2000 or 10000 gold version. You may have to wait 48 hours for it to take effect.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=769
Staind716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
hawk318

Actually as some peeps play only for the adventuring and hate the selling of gold.... just use the cheat for adding gold to your char...... You never have to collect stuff to sell and you can but what you want or pay your fines and get back to adventuring....
Old 03-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #13
edge3uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk318 View Post
Yeah there was one shop early on I wondered if shops were replenished, so I walked outside and waited 24 hours which seems to be the norm for games (guess the guy has to go to the bank in the morning) anyway, then nrxt day he had cash again and I sold the rest.

Just can't get it through my old noggin' why yhe hell anyone would want to change a game so it mimics real life monetarily wise...... You bought the game to escape the riggors of everyday life.... RPG.... "Role" "Playing" "Game"....

Seems to me this would mean that...we're playing a role in the world that had been created for us....let's play it that way
You don't need to wait. Once the merchant has run out of money, save your game, kill him, then reload. Sell away....
edge3uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
Twelvefield

Th economy is broken because time and production are broken.

Pick a flower, and it`s worth a gold piece. You can give that gold piece to a beggar. How come there are flowers in Elder Scrolls, and beggars? There should be no beggars and no flowers, or rather, they should fail to co-exist.

For that matter, you can collect the items you need to make a complete suit of armour within a day, assemble them, and fit them. This is realistic?

I am an artist in my non-game life. It takes me weeks or months to paint a picture, and even then good luck trying to sell the piece for a price where I can break even. The merchants in Skyrim are happy to buy stuff all the time. They make no effort to hold back. Yes, there is a throttle because of your "Speech" skill, but that is easily overcome by selling in volume. It's also assumed that the assembled product must ask a higher price than a finished product. To those who agree to that assumption, try walking into any decent art supply store and look at the prices.
Twelvefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #15
hawk318

Isn't fantasy wonderful

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V