Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Community Content / Contribution Project > Other

Old 03-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #1
MK_51

Rigging problem on soldier bip_upperarm_L bone

So I'm trying to rig part of my model to the Soldier's bip_upperarm_L bone (basically his shoulder), but no matter what my model seems to be rotated weirdly whenever mapped onto the bone, like so:

Quote:

For the record, the shoulderpad is meant to be like this

Any help with this? My model has the rest of its parts rigged to separate bones, and they all seem to deform fine, only this particular bone does strange things to my model.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
coolguythatrock

in your smd file, the object should be skinned to the bone. also, if the object is already skinned, it might be that the object is just following the movements of the shoulder bone, and not moving with it.
coolguythatrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:17 AM   #3
MK_51

How exactly do you check if the model is skinned to the bone in the .smd file? (which line of the text says so)

And the model does follow the movement of the shoulderbone, and it also seems to move with the shoulderbone too, just that it moves in that weird rotated position, rather than moving in a rotate upright position.
MK_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:39 AM   #4
Pfefferminz

Hi, i think it's the line after "nodes".
For example: 0 "bip_upperarm_L" -1
The name of this bone should appear in you QC file, too.

If your model is moving with the shoulder it should be skinned correctly. Orientation problems often occur by importing a model using wrong axis as up-axis. My easy solution would be just rotating the shoulder pad twice by 90 degrees. This guy had the same problem and solved it simply by rotating: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2497173. You could try the steps KRosen provided in this thread, too.

By the way: Which bone is the belt skinned to? Seems to diplay correctly.
Pfefferminz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
MK_51

Rotate twice 90 degrees by which axis? Thnx

Belt is skinned to bip_spine_1 and bip_spine_2 in combination
MK_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
Pfefferminz

(1) Do you use blender? Are all rotations in object mode equal zero? If not, set them to zero and rotate the pad to the desired position in edit mode.

(2) If (1) didn't work, i would try to rotate the pad like this:

You have to rotate around the bone without rotating the bone itself.

Last edited by Pfefferminz: 03-05-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Pfefferminz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
KRosen

more than likely your best bet is, if you co not know how to properly rotate objects that are skinned to bones (that would be the category i fall into most of the time ), delete the bones, reimport them, reattach them

considering it is not rotated properly at all ever, it is most likely a bone rotation issue (very easy to mess up if you go in for touchups and move the model.)
KRosen is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Community Content / Contribution Project > Other