Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 03-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
NuclearKangaroo

add the option to search for no crits servers when you press the quick play button

i hate random crits, and a significant part of the community seems to agree

so please valve, i beg you, no crit cervers are few and unpopulated, please dont leave them out of the quick play option, instead give us the option to quick search no crits servers

EDIT: im sick and tired of answering the same 3 dumb questions 7 times

"if so many people like no crits, why are there so few no crit servers"

this comes from an actual server owner named hat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Getting a server off the ground is also a very hard thing to do when you don't have quickplay (more difficult than before, because now other servers have quickplay). I've known a few nocrit servers that have been completely shutdown or refurbished just because they get such little traffic. And that's why they are a necessary evil on my server: it's have random crits, or have the peak players be 3.
forum id:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...r.php?u=967544

steam id:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/interrobangin/

thread where he said that:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2579212

"if you like no crit servers that much why dont you use the server brower"

the quick play is too convenient, i hate random crits however the option to go to a decently populated server playing my favorite mode is way too tempting, i dont have to search for a server playing my favorite mode myself, i dont have to look out for mixed mode servers, premium servers, unpopulated servers, modded servers that make you download a bunch of stupid , etc

plus as i said there are too few nocrit servers and they are lowly populated, i have less options about what mode i can to play and in which map, i want to play without crits but i dont want to end up in a 24/7 2fort server

"quick play is to play the game as vanilla as possible/quick play is for new players"

the how come quick play allows for 32 player servers? they get less priority sure, but they are still allowed, in fact id say this is a far bigger chance than no crits since 32 players can heavily affect the game's performance, you get a warning when you try to join one in the server browser

plus what does quickplay being for new players have to do with anything? are crits new player friendly? they are just as likely to kill with them as they are being killed by them, no wait, actually they are MORE likely to be killed by them, since players that deal more damage (ie good players) are more likely to crit

this isnt much of a change to find no crit servers as it is a change to ENCOURAGE their existence

Last edited by NuclearKangaroo: 03-06-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Raison d'être

That's what the server browser is for.

The way I see it, quick play is "I don't give a , just take me anywhere."
Raison d'être is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
TheFourthSniper

I LOVE random crits with a passion.
TheFourthSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
NuclearKangaroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raison d'être View Post
That's what the server browser is for.

The way I see it, quick play is "I don't give a , just take me anywhere."
the problem is there are very few no crit servers and even fewers are significantly populated

i loathe crits but i dont want to play on 2fort just because the server is a no crit one, i want to play on Foundry, Sawmill KotH, Badwater, Goldrush, BUT WITHOUT CRITS, if no crits servers were added to the quick play option, there would be more of them
NuclearKangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
thepounder1

To expand on that thought... there should be a number of options for Quick Play, set maybe via checkbox, to set specific criteria of the types of servers you're willing to play on.

Essentially, a quicker alternative to poking thru the server browser and adding filters to that. (especially since some players' server browsers still don't work right)

---

While you're at it, VALVe, how about a decent in-game matchmaking system for PUGs. That's way, way overdue.
thepounder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
roblius

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearKangaroo View Post
the problem is there are very few no crit servers and even fewers are significantly populated
Can't you put two and two together? It will never happen. Because it's clearly not the direction Valve heading.
roblius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
NuclearKangaroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblius View Post
It will never happen. Because it's clearly not the direction Valve heading.
valve is the kind of dev that always listens to the players, we only have to make our voices heard
Old 03-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
Ditocoaf

Quick Play doesn't have the magical ability to summon a populated, low-ping server with exactly your preferred settings. If such a server exists, you can find it with the server browser, if not, Quick Play won't be able to somehow find one for you.

If you have any preferences at all, that's what the Server Browser is for. Quick Play is just a button for people who care more about getting a game started easily than anything else.
Ditocoaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
roblius

Quote:
valve is the kind of dev that always listens to the players, we only have to make our voices heard
Defeats the sole purpose of having a quickplay function? Sending new players to a server doesn't play TF2 the way Valve intended? And frustrated and uninstall the game?

Quick play isn't the answer. If you want to support your no-crits server. You need to be there filling it up when there's zero players on the server.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
trogdc

The server browser is not a decent solution as arena, trade, and idle servers have the tag as well.

Actually the quick play won't be able to tell the difference either.
trogdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
NuclearKangaroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditocoaf View Post
Quick Play doesn't have the magical ability to summon a populated, low-ping server with exactly your preferred settings. If such a server exists, you can find it with the server browser, if not, Quick Play won't be able to somehow find one for you.
and im not asking for any of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditocoaf View Post
If you have any preferences at all, that's what the Server Browser is for. Quick Play is just a button for people who care more about getting a game started easily than anything else.
the problem is that the presence of the quickplay button affects all servers, ive been told from one server hoster that a lot of nocrit servers have gone offline because of low population, which is caused by the fact those servers are not eligible for quickplay

Quote:
Defeats the sole purpose of having a quickplay function? Sending new players to a server doesn't play TF2 the way Valve intended? And frustrated and uninstall the game?
the only thing im asking is a toggle buttom for the quickplay funtion, "crits, no crits, dont care" and once you hit search, it will search crits or no crits servers, depending on the state of the toggle button for the game mode you selected

Quote:
Quick play isn't the answer. If you want to support your no-crits server. You need to be there filling it up when there's zero players on the server.
so you expect me to go to a zero player server and stand there until its filled with 24 players? dude i doubt im that popular, plus even if i used my godly people summoning powers i would only save THAT server, what about the OTHER no crit servers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdc View Post
The server browser is not a decent solution as arena, trade, and idle servers have the tag as well.

Actually the quick play won't be able to tell the difference either.
now to be honest i always wondered why arena is not on the quick search being an official mode and all, trade and idle, those are "modes" created entirely by the players

but yeah another reason the brower isnt that effective

Last edited by NuclearKangaroo: 03-05-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
roblius

Quote:
the problem is that the presence of the quickplay button affects all servers, ive been told from one server hoster that a lot of nocrit servers have gone offline because of low population, which is caused by the fact those servers are not eligible for quickplay
So, what does that tell you? Perhaps, the pro-config is not as popular as you think. Maybe that's Valve's way of saying, Hey, vanilla mode is what we want new players to play our game.

And also, pro-config don't fill up server. Loyal server regulars do.

Quote:
so you expect me to go to a zero player server and stand there until its filled with 24 players? dude i doubt im that popular, plus even if i used my godly people summoning powers i would only save THAT server, what about the OTHER no crit servers?
Last time I checked, that's how you populated a server.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #13

Quote:
so you expect me to go to a zero player server and stand there until its filled with 24 players? dude i doubt im that popular
Step 1. Acquire friends.
4812622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #14
NuclearKangaroo

Quote:
So, what does that tell you? Perhaps, the pro-config is not as popular as you think. Maybe that's Valve's way of saying, Hey, vanilla mode is what we want new players to play our game.

And also, pro-config don't fill up server. Loyal server regulars do.
its not pro-config not being popular, is quick play being way too convenient, i hate random crits however the option to go to a decently populated server playing my favorite mode is way too tempting, i dont have to search for a server playing my favorite mode myself, i dont have to look out for mixed mode servers, premium servers, unpopulated servers, modded servers that make you download a bunch of stupid , etc

on top of that 90% of the servers i join by quickplay dont kick me due to lag, the only decently populated nocrit server i could find, did

Quote:
Last time I checked, that's how you populated a server.
is like saying "well THQ is in huge financial troubles, if you want to save the company YOU should start buying their games, because last time i checked, thats how they make money"

and again the problems lies in, the entire fate of the servers doesnt depend on you, i can do my part but that wont save the servers and in the end i will be alone in a server playing all by myself, doesnt sound too much fun does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4812622 View Post
Step 1. Acquire friends.
Step 2. Learn to troll better son

i wont force my friends to join an empty server so i can play without crits
Old 03-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #15
roblius

Quote:
is like saying "well THQ is in huge financial troubles, if you want to save the company YOU should start buying their games, because last time i checked, thats how they make money"

and again the problems lies in, the entire fate of the servers doesnt depend on you, i can do my part but that wont save the servers and in the end i will be alone in a server playing all by myself, doesnt sound too much fun does it?
That's why we have 24/7 full servers and why we have 24/7 empty servers. It's all about how far you're willing to go.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2