Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 03-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Lansun

Save Files on Steam

Suppose I install a game on my Steams list, played through it, had fun, yadayda, but need more space now. If I delete the local content through Steam, will the save files for that game remain? Or is this different depending on the game? Any helps is appreciated, thanks.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Etrud

If It has cloud support. Then im pretty sure It saves through steam. But only if it has cloud support.
Etrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Lansun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etrud View Post
If It has cloud support. Then im pretty sure It saves through steam. But only if it has cloud support.
Don't believe this is true, I think certain content are deleted separately from the local content, so if I delete the local content, certain files remain. Just curious if the save files are one of them.
Lansun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
99Reaper99

I don't think, but may be wrong, save files aren't uploaded to Steam Cloud. Only options like various settings, controls, etc. are sent to steam cloud.

Save files are an iffy subject. If the game has a Save folder in the steamapps game's folder directory they might stay. But I think its a game by game basis, what it looks for to remove and what not. When saves are stored in Documents, they usually remain after any uninstall.

If you're worried, just back up the saves you can find to your desktop (Copy and paste) and then uninstall. If it uninstalls and leaves the saves in the game's folder, then no reason to worry. If it gets rid of them, then just store those saves you backup'd to somewhere you'll remember where they are for future usage.

Last edited by 99Reaper99: 03-05-2012 at 07:19 PM.
99Reaper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
Ceron

There's three places your save games can be stored: the cloud, your docs folder, or in the steamapps folder. You can safely uninstall the first two. However, I believe if it's saved in the steamapps, it gets deleted with an uninstall.
Ceron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
Lansun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceron View Post
There's three places your save games can be stored: the cloud, your docs folder, or in the steamapps folder. You can safely uninstall the first two. However, I believe if it's saved in the steamapps, it gets deleted with an uninstall.
Ah, thank you. This sounds about right
Lansun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
ViRUS2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Reaper99 View Post
I don't think, but may be wrong, save files aren't uploaded to Steam Cloud.
Actually, the whole point of Steam Cloud is to be able to continue your saves using any computer you install your games on (as long as they support it).
ViRUS2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
Jagged Tooth

As long as the saves aren't kept in the same directory as the game files (I'm not aware of any that are, but there could be), it should be fine.
Jagged Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion