Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mass Effect series

Old 03-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
64fanatic

Mass Effect 3 FOV Fix

Files attached, goes in *\Origin\Mass Effect 3\BIOGame\CookedPCConsole

NOTE: This can mess up ingame cutscenes (too zoomed out, so you'll see more than you should, like people sitting behind desks with no chairs) as the game was built around the assumption you're using a FOV of 70, so unless somebody manages to fix that you'll just have to switch between 70 and whatever you're using which is pretty easy to do, no biggie.

As with the demo you can add toggle keys for FOV in Coalesced.bin. Using this handy tool I added in the hotkeys for those who don't want to do it themselves.

UPDATES:

- Replaced FOV 70 with FOV 0 which simply stops overriding the FOV and goes back to 70. This can help during cut scenes (some still had the occasional weird glitch, this should fix that)

- Added a few modded "shared aim" versions of the Coalesced.bin (Fov 75 - Fov 110 in increments of 5) which allow proper zoom in when aiming and then changes the FOV back to a desired amount automatically (thanks to Maxwell_Adams for the info)

Check the code box for what numpad button does what FOV

Here is a snap of what to add if you want to do it yourself:

Its under bioinput.ini > sfxgame > sfxgamemodebase > bindings

http://www.myimg.us/images/03.05.12/24601.jpg

Add as many of these lines to the bottom as you wish:

Code:
( Name="NumPadZero", Command="FOV 32" )
( Name="NumPadOne", Command="FOV 0" )
( Name="NumPadTwo", Command="FOV 75" )
( Name="NumPadThree", Command="FOV 80" )
( Name="NumPadFour", Command="FOV 85" )
( Name="NumPadFive", Command="FOV 90" )
( Name="NumPadSix", Command="FOV 95" )
( Name="NumPadSeven", Command="FOV 100" )
( Name="NumPadEight", Command="FOV 105" )
( Name="NumPadNine", Command="FOV 110" )
Change FOV 90 to whatever you want for the shared aim command line:

Code:
( Name="Shared_Aim", Command="SwapWeaponIfEmpty | TightAim | FOV 0 | OnRelease FOV 90 | OnRelease StopTightAim" )

FOV 70 (Default)

http://www.myimg.us/images/03.05.12/24602.jpg

FOV 90

http://www.myimg.us/images/03.05.12/24603.jpg

Files attached, goes in *\Origin\Mass Effect 3\BIOGame\CookedPCConsole
***Keep a backup or your original bin file and modded one in case a patch overwrites it or you somehow mess up***

Standard (No zoom in on aim strictly sticks to your chosen fov. Useful for those who get motion sickness, try shared aim also to see which you prefer)
http://www.mediafire.com/?n6d1cjaqh8id657
http://www.zshare.net/download/992996126f12af94/

Shared Aim (resets fov to 70 on zoom in so zoom works correctly, then resets to your preferred fov)

http://www.mediafire.com/?m35lbuv17naasm3
http://www.zshare.net/download/99299604dcd7ea9d/

Last edited by 64fanatic: 03-06-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
christpr

You are a prince! Thankyou sir for your work towards the benefit of all ME3 PC players.

Unfortunately it's not without drawbacks. I tested this out and like you mention the higher FOV totally makes some cut-scenes glitchy, and not nice to look at. Switching back to 70 when you get to cut-scenes is a reasonable fix I think...I can live with that.

It's the effects higher FOV have on the aiming sensitivity and zoom that I'm finding the trickiest to deal with. Seems like the pistol doesn't zoom in at all, and while zooming the sensitivity drops to snail pace.

The only fix I could think for this would be borrowing my brothers mouse, which has on-the-fly DPI adjustment via buttons on the mouse. So zoom in-adjust dpi-zoom out-adjust dpi. Perhaps some macros could make this a bit smoother...but I'm hopeless with that kind of thing.

Hopefully someone figures out a flawless method of FOV change without glitching out anything else. I guess we'll have to make due for the moment...and maybe I just need to give it some time, I might be able to adjust.
christpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
christpr

I was using someone elses coalesced.bin.

Gave yours a go and it works much better! I'm just switching to 70 FOV in cutscenes, and then working out which my favourite FOV is for gameplay.

I increased my mouse sensitivity which has improved the issues with zoomed in aiming I was having.

Overall - Pretty damn reasonable. The game is very playable for me now...and while not perfect, it's good enough
Old 03-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
Maxwell_Adams

A couple tips - you can use the command 'FOV 0' to stop overriding the FOV. This seems to work a bit better than telling it to go back to 70. Right-click aiming tends to break when you have some kind of FOV override active.

In the mod I made for the demo, I changed the 'shared_aim' command so it would automatically apply an FOV fix when I wasn't aiming. The altered command looks like this:

( Name="Shared_Aim", Command="SwapWeaponIfEmpty | TightAim | FOV 0 | OnRelease FOV 90 | OnRelease StopTightAim" )

This works great in multiplayer. In singleplayer, you just need a key set to FOV 0 so you can fix the FOV during cutscenes.
Maxwell_Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
Spaceguy5

Protip: Keep a backup of your .bin. The new patch overwrites it, and I assume future patches will too. The file it overwrote with is the same exact size of the original unedited .bin, but just to be safe (there may be changes), it's probably a good idea to just re-enter your modifications on it.
Spaceguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
64fanatic

Thanks for the tips guys, updated OP with new versions.
64fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
goodguy8705

Anyone know what I have to put as the key to bind FOV 0 to one of the thumb buttons on my mouse?

I have an MX510 and I'd refer to use the one closest to my hand to do this.
goodguy8705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
Squallboogie01

Where is bioinput.ini? I looked in my documents, and other places, but the only game with it is ME1.

Never mind, didn't know that tool was used to open up the Coalesced file.

Last edited by Squallboogie01: 03-06-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Squallboogie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
KyrenCross

I edited the Coalesced file to fix the FOV but it seems that when you creeeate a lobby in multiplayer no one can join you, you just wait there forever. But joining other players is ok but I can't stand the ping delay.

I then reinstalled origin which in turn downloaded and overwritten the modified Coalesced file. Now players can join my lobby, but I have to stop playing after an hour cause I get such a terrible headache.

I don't know whether to edit the file and suffer bad ping but wont make me nauseous. Or have a good ping but less playtime.

I have not finished Singleplayer and FOV fix is a must for a more enjoyable experience. yet I have to reinstall origin everytime I want to play Online. Oh Bioware, why not just add an FOV slider to avoid this kind of hassle.
KyrenCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:46 AM   #10
64fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyrenCross View Post
I edited the Coalesced file to fix the FOV but it seems that when you creeeate a lobby in multiplayer no one can join you, you just wait there forever. But joining other players is ok but I can't stand the ping delay.

I then reinstalled origin which in turn downloaded and overwritten the modified Coalesced file. Now players can join my lobby, but I have to stop playing after an hour cause I get such a terrible headache.

I don't know whether to edit the file and suffer bad ping but wont make me nauseous. Or have a good ping but less playtime.

I have not finished Singleplayer and FOV fix is a must for a more enjoyable experience. yet I have to reinstall origin everytime I want to play Online. Oh Bioware, why not just add an FOV slider to avoid this kind of hassle.
If you right click mass effect in origin you can hit repair installation and that'll save you part of a headache as it'll restore that file.
64fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:22 AM   #11
avalonlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell_Adams View Post
A couple tips - you can use the command 'FOV 0' to stop overriding the FOV. This seems to work a bit better than telling it to go back to 70. Right-click aiming tends to break when you have some kind of FOV override active.

In the mod I made for the demo, I changed the 'shared_aim' command so it would automatically apply an FOV fix when I wasn't aiming. The altered command looks like this:

This works great in multiplayer. In singleplayer, you just need a key set to FOV 0 so you can fix the FOV during cutscenes.
Can you explain where should I insert this line? Thx in advance.
avalonlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
rogueblade

Sooo installation instructions for the less technical of us?
Got both files and no idea what to do....

The Shared Aim download has like 6 folders and I don't know what to do with them. Do I copy and paste each bin file to the ME directory?

How do I get your tool with the keypad bindings to work?

Last edited by rogueblade: 03-07-2012 at 01:41 PM.
rogueblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
christpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueblade View Post
Sooo installation instructions for the less technical of us?
Got both files and no idea what to do....

The Shared Aim download has like 6 folders and I don't know what to do with them. Do I copy and paste each bin file to the ME directory?

How do I get your tool with the keypad bindings to work?
You need to extract coalesced.bin to -Mass Effect 3\BIOGame\CookedPCConsole

Back up your original coalesced.bin and put it somewhere safe before overwriting with the downloaded file.

No you don't need to copy each file. Find out what FOV value you like, then use the corresponding file in the folder - Example: Lets say you want a FOV of 95 - use the .bin file from the folder called FOV 95 Shared Aim.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #14
Eyeless

Is there anyway to make the game automatically go to the default FoV during cutscenes, and then back to the custom FoV in all other instances without having to manually hit the numpad keys?
Eyeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:24 AM   #15
Wanny1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeless View Post
Is there anyway to make the game automatically go to the default FoV during cutscenes, and then back to the custom FoV in all other instances without having to manually hit the numpad keys?
What I did is map FOV 0 to right click in cutscenes. So you still have to press something but at least it's on your mouse now.

And then, in gameplay, I'm using the shared_aim trick on right click too.

So basically it's all on right click now.
Wanny1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mass Effect series