Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Trek Online

Old 03-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
grazr

Do starship console bonuses stack?

I have 2x +15% phaser damage tactical consoles and i'm wondering whether they stack to 30% or not. If not then i'll have to install another console because i'll be wasting a console slot.

Unfotunately i can't see it listed on the damage section of ship stats like i can with damage resistances (Even though i could have sworn i saw it earlier in the week).
Old 03-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
sloop1138

I believe they do.

Are you checking your ship stats in sector space or while you're in an actual system? When you're in sector space the bonuses from equipment and skills aren't reflected on your ship stats page. Go into a system (Sol is a good one since there are no enemies to worry about) and check your stats then while you swap stuff to see the differences.

I didn't know about the sector space thing for a while and kept wondering why my stats were changing all the time.
sloop1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
necrodoom

tested with damage resistance, seems they do, but not fully.
necrodoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
sloop1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrodoom View Post
tested with damage resistance, seems they do, but not fully.
Yeah, there's a diminishing returns system in place.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Asphe

Kinda. Most consoles stack. Some do but with diminishing returns (shield capacity i.e. Field Generator) and some never do.

In the case of the Phaser Relays, they do. But you have to bear in mind just where that +% takes effect. Having 4 consoles instead of 2 won't mean 2x the damage because of that.

Try this. Go to space. Remove all tactical consoles. Hover your mouse over the weapon. Remember the damage per volley (use volley to avoid confusion with damage per shot) and/or DPS (Damage per Second). Now install one console. Check via 'tooltip' again. Keep adding consoles. Now you know the exact percentage and what level of diminishing returns, if any.

In most cases, even the first console never improves on the stats as advertised. They game does not seem to take your current damage and add to it. More like it adds to the weapon's base damage... BEFORE all your current skill levels/etc take effect.

For example, if you link a weapon in your chat. If a Vice Admiral 'tooltips' it, she might get a different set of numbers that a Commander. Simply because the two players stats/skills also affect those kinds of numbers.
Asphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
grazr

I'm still having difficulty finding where these stats are located. I can find my engine efficiency, defense stats, everything but the damage out put. I just see the base DPS shown on the weapon items and a big blank spot under my ships offence tab that only displays crit chance, severity and something else...

Unless you mean the damage per shot that is displayed on the weapon item, just before the DPS?
grazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
necrodoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazr View Post
I'm still having difficulty finding where these stats are located. I can find my engine efficiency, defense stats, everything but the damage out put. I just see the base DPS shown on the weapon items and a big blank spot under my ships offence tab that only displays crit chance, severity and something else...

Unless you mean the damage per shot that is displayed on the weapon item, just before the DPS?
yes.

i think there are too many things that effect stats to decide how much exactly the consoles stack. it seems that even the rank itself effects them. for example i teamed up with a level 4 player so i was fighting at level 4, and all my equip stats dropped.
necrodoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #8
sloop1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazr View Post

Yeah, the weapon stats show when you mouse over them in your ship weapon quick bar or in you regular quick bar. The stats won't show their modified amounts unless you're in a system, however. For whatever reason, the modified stats don't show in sector space.

Most of the other stats show in the ship stat tab in your crew window.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
grazr

Hm, i can see the modified stats in sector space by mousing over the energy weapon icon on the HUD. My phaser damage is 297, adding the +15% console puts that up to 314, then the second puts it to 330. Not much of a diminishing return, but perhaps it's more significant at higher ranks.

EDIT: Never mind, i see what you're saying now. In system space the stats show as 354 > 373 > 393.

Last edited by grazr: 03-08-2012 at 03:20 PM.
grazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
annihilatron

While there are diminishing returns, it's still typically best to focus your consoles on one thing (especially your tactical consoles). Similarly, stick with one weapon damage type.

Rainbow beams and skittles cannons aren't that effective.
annihilatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
Asphe

For Phaser Relays and similar, there are no 'diminishing returns'. They stack.
Asphe is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Trek Online