Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2

Old 03-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
RamonaFlowers

Talking Left 4 dead challenge

Well I'm not sure if would be a challenge for other people but I wanted to finally try expert. I mean I do well I believe on normal but I wanted to try my luck at different difficulties. I'll probably just try advanced, but who wants to join me?
I usually have a friend who plays with me but he's not on much so I wanted to find some people on here

I do like using my mic but if you wanna tag along with me in a few games hit me up
Old 03-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
restlessgamer75

Banned
good idea don't play expert that much but i regularly try it add me on steam
INF-^ gamerfreak be
restlessgamer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Peegee

Talking

suggestions:
- go slowly but go quickly whenever there's no traffic
- do shop around
- don't blast rapidly - do burst shots and aim well
- check your shoulders
- keep your cool, esp with tanks. incapped friend? empty a clip into the tank.
- iirc you don't molly the expert tanks - it makes them run faster

enjoy!
Peegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
bassistist

It will seem ridiculously hard at first but it gets easier. Tanks and panic events will probably swamp you, and finales are their own special kind of suck. Prepare for lots of retrys.

Just try not to let anything touch you. :-)
bassistist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
Zerk89

Yeah, I'm in too. Add me via link in my profile.
I played Expert sometimes with a friend (No Mercy only) and until the finale we make it well, but you've to watch your aim, friendly fire is often harder than a infected punch.
Zerk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
ajs410

Tanks no longer run faster when they're on fire. If you're playing with bots, it's pretty typical to molly the tank and just run until he dies. It's cheap, but bots simply cannot dodge tank rocks.

On expert, your own teammates are generally more dangerous than the enemy. We generally take more damage from ourselves than we do from infected. Many a versus elitist joins the expert campaign and then proceeds to down their teammates.

Note that you cannot friendly fire someone who is pinned. So if someone is being dragged away by a smoker, you can't friendly them. You can, however, friendly the dufus who runs into your line of fire while chasing the survivor being dragged. So on that note, you not only must avoid shooting your teammates, but you must avoid running in front of them while they're shooting.

And always watch your back. It's easy to see a horde coming from the front, so all four survivors start shooting forward, and then a couple stragglers come from behind and start whacking you. If you see your teammates slaughtering the horde in front of you, turn around briefly every two or three seconds.

Another good, but very difficult technique, is to alternate shooting with your teammates. Most of the time when a good expert campaign player gets hit, it's because they're reloading. So what I do is I wait until I hear my teammate reloading, and *then* I start shooting. Then I can reload while they're shooting. This allows us to cover each other when we're vulnerable. However, it's difficult for most people to resist the urge to shoot the zombies while their teammate racks up kills.

I guess, in essence, expert is mostly about knowing when NOT to shoot.
ajs410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
HeadshotHoncho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs410 View Post
Tanks no longer run faster when they're on fire. If you're playing with bots, it's pretty typical to molly the tank and just run until he dies. It's cheap, but bots simply cannot dodge tank rocks.
Another thing to know is that all weapons besides shotguns can slow down the tank. Shotguns may have a slight effect, but it's lower than any other weapon. So if you're running from that tank with an automatic weapon, let him have it as you run.
HeadshotHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
zackteach

There's some good tips in here, and I figure I'll toss in some too.

Also, feel free to add me to your steam and we can practice some expert together. I still need Dark Carnival (even though I f'n shouldn't) and Swamp Fever to complete my Still Something To Prove achievement.

- Regular common infected hit for 10 to 20 damage per swing, so distance is your friend. Melee weapons, as I have found out from personal experience and from watching other players, generally work against you. They still kill in 1 swing, can kill multiple infected in 1 swing, but the problem is that you have to get within melee range to use them, and even if you're perfectly careful, you can still accidentally miss even though it looks like you shouldn't and then take unnecessary damage.

So, I recommend going with dual pistols until you can get yourself a magnum. Some campaigns, it's available really early on, and some others you're gonna have to look around. But it's really good, because it kills in 1 shot, has pretty damn good accuracy when you're crouching, and infinite ammo like the pistols.

- Friendly fire is a big hazard. In versus or lower difficulty settings, friendly fire doesn't do much of anything, but on expert you WILL incapacitate and BE incapacitated by your teammates at various points. You just have to be mindful about walking in front of people as they're shooting, mindful to crouch in front of them if they're standing OR walking behind them or beside them. Pay attention to the type of weapons they have, whether it's a shotgun or sniper or machine gun, so you know if you're gonna risk a spray of bullets or if they're gonna have a single line of fire. Also, Explosive Ammo is very deadly on expert. If you have it and a shotgun, you'll actually hurt yourself if you hit things (like a wall or a zombie) that's really close to you. The grenade launcher is also a big no no. It's just too clumsy and powerful.

- Always watch your back, but an even better strategy is to keep close to objects so the zombies can't sneak up on you. Corners are wonderful since they force zombies to come at you head on and you can mow them all down, but even just having your back against one wall and trying to watch your sides, is a lot better than being snuck up on by a zombie...because it happens all to often. Also try and stick with at least 1 of your teammates and cover each other. Teamwork is very crucial.

- Due to the amount of damage you'll inevitably suffer, don't heal up until you're black and white. Try and make it off pills/adrenaline until then. Unless of course you reach a point, like a safe house, where there's health packs for everyone, or you come across an extra one.

- Pipe bombs, moletovs, bile bombs, and gas cans (the ones that make fire, not the ones that explode) are your friends. They are absolutely essential to get through certain events, and make things a lot more managable. Always keep one on you and tell your teammates when you find em so that they can pick them up to. Try and coordinate during big events where you have to deal with a big horde coming at you. If you come across an extra, pick it up and use it real quick and then grab the one you were carrying before. Use them all, because it all helps.

- Be very careful with tanks and witches. Tanks incapacitate with one punch or one rock hit, and witches instant kill. Auto-shotguns are still the best way to take down a witch, but you probably won't be able to do it before she kills you, so I suggest having someone shoot her from as far away as they can (and around a few obstacles if possible) and then have whoever has the auto-shotgun (plus everyone else) shoot the crap out of her. As for tanks, set em on fire if you can and run them around. Be careful, the bot tanks have eerily good aim with the rocks...I always f'n seem to get hit >(

- Be careful with fire. It hurts really bad, so be careful not to get yourself in fire and never throw it on your teammates. It will kill them before they can make it out.

It just takes practice, but it's very rewarding to beat.

Last edited by zackteach: 03-06-2012 at 03:44 PM.
zackteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
ajs410

re: tank rocks, there is a trick to dodging them. First, strafe perpendicularly to the AI tank. Then, the moment when the rock leaves the tank's fingertips, strafe the exact opposite direction. The problem is most of the time people start strafing the other direction before the tank releases the rock.

You should also know every nook, cranny, corner, room, hallway, or ladder on a map. If you hear the horde sound, make a bee-line straight for it. There's no point in trying to mow down thirty zombies when you can just run into a room with one door and throw a molly out in front.

Just don't burn yourself. And if the room you're hiding in is small, keep an ear out for spitters. They're really good at totally ruining a perfect molly or gas can.

Oh, and if you dead stop a hunter, BACK UP, FAST. A hunter claw does 40 damage, and AI SI can claw you while they're stumbling.
ajs410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
RamonaFlowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk89 View Post
I played Expert sometimes with a friend (No Mercy only) and until the finale we make it well, but you've to watch your aim, friendly fire is often harder than a infected punch.
Yeah, that's what I'm post worried about. Friendly fire, I have random players spazzing out on me for shooting them by accident while they're still in the green. T_T
RamonaFlowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
RamonaFlowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk89 View Post
Added
Old 03-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
RamonaFlowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackteach View Post
There's some good tips in here, and I figure I'll toss in some too.

Also, feel free to add me to your steam and we can practice some expert together. I still need Dark Carnival (even though I f'n shouldn't) and Swamp Fever to complete my Still Something To Prove achievement.

- Regular common infected hit for 10 to 20 damage per swing, so distance is your friend. Melee weapons, as I have found out from personal experience and from watching other players, generally work against you. They still kill in 1 swing, can kill multiple infected in 1 swing, but the problem is that you have to get within melee range to use them, and even if you're perfectly careful, you can still accidentally miss even though it looks like you shouldn't and then take unnecessary damage.

So, I recommend going with dual pistols until you can get yourself a magnum. Some campaigns, it's available really early on, and some others you're gonna have to look around. But it's really good, because it kills in 1 shot, has pretty damn good accuracy when you're crouching, and infinite ammo like the pistols.

- Friendly fire is a big hazard. In versus or lower difficulty settings, friendly fire doesn't do much of anything, but on expert you WILL incapacitate and BE incapacitated by your teammates at various points. You just have to be mindful about walking in front of people as they're shooting, mindful to crouch in front of them if they're standing OR walking behind them or beside them. Pay attention to the type of weapons they have, whether it's a shotgun or sniper or machine gun, so you know if you're gonna risk a spray of bullets or if they're gonna have a single line of fire. Also, Explosive Ammo is very deadly on expert. If you have it and a shotgun, you'll actually hurt yourself if you hit things (like a wall or a zombie) that's really close to you. The grenade launcher is also a big no no. It's just too clumsy and powerful.

- Always watch your back, but an even better strategy is to keep close to objects so the zombies can't sneak up on you. Corners are wonderful since they force zombies to come at you head on and you can mow them all down, but even just having your back against one wall and trying to watch your sides, is a lot better than being snuck up on by a zombie...because it happens all to often. Also try and stick with at least 1 of your teammates and cover each other. Teamwork is very crucial.

- Due to the amount of damage you'll inevitably suffer, don't heal up until you're black and white. Try and make it off pills/adrenaline until then. Unless of course you reach a point, like a safe house, where there's health packs for everyone, or you come across an extra one.

- Pipe bombs, moletovs, bile bombs, and gas cans (the ones that make fire, not the ones that explode) are your friends. They are absolutely essential to get through certain events, and make things a lot more managable. Always keep one on you and tell your teammates when you find em so that they can pick them up to. Try and coordinate during big events where you have to deal with a big horde coming at you. If you come across an extra, pick it up and use it real quick and then grab the one you were carrying before. Use them all, because it all helps.

- Be very careful with tanks and witches. Tanks incapacitate with one punch or one rock hit, and witches instant kill. Auto-shotguns are still the best way to take down a witch, but you probably won't be able to do it before she kills you, so I suggest having someone shoot her from as far away as they can (and around a few obstacles if possible) and then have whoever has the auto-shotgun (plus everyone else) shoot the crap out of her. As for tanks, set em on fire if you can and run them around. Be careful, the bot tanks have eerily good aim with the rocks...I always f'n seem to get hit >(

- Be careful with fire. It hurts really bad, so be careful not to get yourself in fire and never throw it on your teammates. It will kill them before they can make it out.

It just takes practice, but it's very rewarding to beat.
Wow, thanks for all that! That's a lot to take in but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it -- hopefully haha
Added you n_n

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2