Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 03-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
PlusEighteen

How to report a hacker cycling names?

I'm sure this guy will get banned eventually because of how vac works but I'd like to see something more immediate
Some tool is going around the valve servers with godmode/speedhacks/etc. but his name constantly cycles between all the people on the server so I can't bring up his profile and taking a screenshot might make it look like someone else was doing the hacking

What do
Old 03-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
49th

If you type into the console, "status" I believe it will show you the Steam ID Number or something of everyone on the server, which is a number to identify them which never changes.
49th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
freakn1ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49th View Post
If you type into the console, "status" I believe it will show you the Steam ID Number or something of everyone on the server, which is a number to identify them which never changes.
this ^_^
freakn1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Plok

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakn1ck View Post
this ^_^
Unfortunately from my experiences (numerous) 'status' will not work when one of these individuals enters the server. The result of sending 'status' to console when a person name-cycling is activate provides nothing, i.e. no IDs/names come up at all.

edit: Woops! OT:
I just spec them (the heavy who only crits), and press f7. I'm sure this does nothing, but just leaving: I feel like that kind of lactivism (lack-of-activism) is detrimental to the games community.

Also, as Zoidbergs said, don't play on that server! Remember a hacker is looking for kills and trolling, don't be a means to either!

Last edited by Plok: 03-05-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Plok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Zoidbergs

Banned
Don`t play on that server
Zoidbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
sandman9601

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49th View Post
Yes, that works.

But I would love to see Valve implement something to stop this kind of annoyance (since most people don't know how to do it).

There should be an exponential delay in time you have to wait to change names. First change is immediate, second one makes you wait 2 seconds, third one makes you wait 30 seconds, fourth one like 5 minutes.
sandman9601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
PlusEighteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidbergs View Post
Don`t play on that server
And when everyone leaves that server and he's all alone he'll just switch to a different one that's populated
Leaving doesn't solve the problem
PlusEighteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
Zoidbergs

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlusEighteen View Post
And when everyone leaves that server and he's all alone he'll just switch to a different one that's populated
Leaving doesn't solve the problem
You are right, the solution would be to find out the guys IP, the location of where he is and hire a hitman xD Just kidding, but seroiusly something must be done. TBH I really don`t care much because I don`t see much hackers / cheaters in TF2. Probably because I play in servers that have active and awesome admins that don`t let this kind BS happen.

P.S. just noticed that I have 3 stars

Last edited by Zoidbergs: 03-05-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Zoidbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
King Cassidy

Shift + Tab, click "View Players" on Steam Cloud, and look for the player (Just memorize the last name he uses, or the current one, and you'll find it.) On their profile page, there should be a drop-down list of options to report the player.

If you're unlucky, however, it could be a account made for hacking Team Fortress 2, since the game is Free-to-Play and making a duplicate account may not bother them in the slightest (unless Valve bans IP addresses.)
King Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
UKCS-Alias

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman9601 View Post
But I would love to see Valve implement something to stop this kind of annoyance (since most people don't know how to do it).
Just put rename actions in console WITH the steamid of them. The thing i already think that should be added whenever someone joins or leaves aswel.

However, status already does fine enough. If he changed 3 times then that also has changed 3 times in status. And let his position being based on when he joined. So its easy to identity who it is.
And this is recorded on demos aswel and therefor works as evidence for the server admins aswel.
UKCS-Alias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
TheKritsTheyKil

This is a troubling topic, and one i've been encountering more and more.

I frequent a few high-skilled servers with an admin almost on 24-7, however we've been encountering a few of these name-cycler hackers who somehow have been able to sneak past the VAC and our server security.

The problem is no admin knows how to catch and perminently ban these players. In the past i've done "Status" on console and it use to work, but these guys seem to be one step ahead. When typing "status" into console recently (two days ago when they returned) it didn't even bring anything up for this player :S.

Playing on a different server is generally the easiest solution, but if you are a contributor to your server and everytime this gets on there with his godmode hacks and causes all players to leave, kinda kills off your contributors too!

Any assistance would be great! we've sent a few videos of the guy to valve but no response back....
TheKritsTheyKil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
Cooper Kid

Use the Problem Report function (F7 I think) - this sends a report to Valve, along with the IDs of everyone on the server. Mention in the notes that the hacker was cycling names. They'll sort him out.
Cooper Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #13
Crespo_PL

Banned
it's not just "that guy"

there are hundreds like him
Crespo_PL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
lunarpking

this must be the same guy that was doing this to me..got me banned from a few valve servers and tried to trade you while he was doing it, when he traded you it closed the trade and your items were gone....this was back in november or so. i have already submitted a complaint against this guy, but any more evidence would be nice.
lunarpking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #15
Geotpf

The "status" command has a "cooldown" of sorts. It only allows it to be called once per x seconds by anybody on the server. Thing is, these name-cyclers also spam "status", so nobody else can use it.
Geotpf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2