Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2

Old 03-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
KillzNThrillz

Question Could someone please explain why...

...people complain about survivors being overpowered when they get to play as them too? I'm not trolling, but I really don't understand this. It's like saying the Type 95 from MW3 is overpowered, but you use it.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Crespo_PL

Banned
so just because everyone plays it, it's balanced?
Crespo_PL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
sand44

^pretty much
sand44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
KillzNThrillz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crespo_PL View Post
so just because everyone plays it, it's balanced?
Who said it was balanced?
KillzNThrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
Mr. Draco

Because a playing as infected is so stunted you might as well not even try. This makes for an incredibly boring game. Also just because both teams play survivor it doesn't make it balanced. The director can favor one team and screw over the other. It is clear that Valve is absolutely terrible at making competitive gameplay. Just look at what they did to TF2
Mr. Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
ProdigySim

Yes!

It's just like when I was a kid. Every once in a while we'd all pick one kid in our group and gang up on him. Chasing him, wrestling him, beating him down, dragging him around. It was so much fun!

Being the target of the game was not very fun. It was very frustrating. You could try with all of your might to get away, but being outnumbered and overpowered, you would always get caught and beaten up.

Some of the kids didn't like the game. They didn't really get a lot of pleasure out of ganging up on a single kid, and they really didn't like being the target of the game! They would complain about it to no end!

Everyone got a chance to play both sides of the game, so it was fair. I didn't understand why they would complain about it when they would get to play both sides!
ProdigySim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
Spanky88

The survivors being op has created a lot of issues beyond the meta game.

Rage: because it's almost a guarantee that the humans will all make it to the end, a mistake on the human side that leads to a death will also likely lead to a lot of rage. Conversely the burden is so high on the player zombies to kill off a human coupled with the few chances they have to do such also induces lots of rage.

Length of games: because both teams usually make it all the way through every level the games last very long. Much longer than they would if the survivors were slightly under powered.

Boredom: the SI team gets to spectate more than they play, and both teams (unless very uneven) get to experience glorified spectate mode...woo! No one paid to watch the game, the paid to play it.
Spanky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:40 AM   #8
TheCombatMedic

Here we go again
TheCombatMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #9
prophecy holder

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCombatMedic View Post
Here we go again
Here we go again with the here we go again.

See what I did there?

Also spanky hit the nail on the head so hard it's practically in the coffin. Playing infected is frustating unless the survivor team sucks. If the survivor team is half way competent or good then you'll be playing spectate mode.
prophecy holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #10
bluz74

They complain because they are bored.
bluz74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #11
DoubleSpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky88 View Post
The survivors being op has created a lot of issues beyond the meta game.

This is pretty much it. If they were so OP, the team could just make up the points on their own.

Although I don't play versus so don't listen to me!
DoubleSpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
POLICEMATRIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillzNThrillz View Post
...people complain about survivors being overpowered when they get to play as them too? I'm not trolling, but I really don't understand this. It's like saying the Type 95 from MW3 is overpowered, but you use it.
my point exactly , the best team wins ,whether its even or not ,If you had to stay on one side ie infected then I would agree with peoples moans but you get to play as both so any "unevenness" is balanced out due to the nature of the game
also please dont tell me about tanks and witches I play versus all the time and have no problem at all with the inconsistencies because "THE BEST TEAM WINS"

Last edited by POLICEMATRIX: 03-07-2012 at 06:42 AM.
POLICEMATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #13
Stagger Lee

Yes, instead of playing confogl VS, realism VS or any number of variations that make it harder on the survivors because there was a need for it, keep playing normal (beginner) VS and consistantly complain in here about how easy it is.

Great idea!
Stagger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #14
daveyeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICEMATRIX;29640462" [COLOR="Red"
THE[/COLOR] BEST TEAM WINS"
Hey just because you're using fancy colors it doesn't mean that your're right.

This subject is so deeply settled at this point. Dozens of times over. If my attempt to quote you shows anything, I clearly don't know how to use color formatting but I can prove this with interperative dance if you need.

Last edited by daveyeah: 03-07-2012 at 06:54 AM.
daveyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:55 AM   #15
POLICEMATRIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigySim View Post
Yes! It's just like when I was a kid. Every once in a while we'd all pick one kid in our group and gang up on him. Chasing him, wrestling him, beating him down, dragging him around. It was so much fun!

Being the target of the game was not very fun. It was very frustrating. You could try with all of your might to get away, but being outnumbered and overpowered, you would always get caught and beaten up.

Some of the kids didn't like the game. They didn't really get a lot of pleasure out of ganging up on a single kid, and they really didn't like being the target of the game! They would complain about it to no end!

Everyone got a chance to play both sides of the game, so it was fair. I didn't understand why they would complain about it when they would get to play both sides!
well nice try at a metaphor but bullying is a tad bit different than l4d2
as you will find the bully doesnt give the victim a chance to fight back, also the bully usually has a gang of mates with him and the victim is alone and doesnt want to fight .
Whereas l4d2 we all want to fight, plus the sides are even ,and if in your attempted at a metaphor you meant the survivors are the bully then this is flawed too because in your metaphoric world the victim would "posses" the bullies body and vice versa with the bully which sounds pretty even to me.
anyway youve got your vanilla so whats the problem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyeah View Post
Hey just because you're using fancy colors it doesn't mean that your're right.

This subject is so deeply settled at this point. Dozens of times over. If my attempt to quote you shows anything, I clearly don't know how to use color formatting but I can prove this with interperative dance if you need.
im looking forward to the dance lol =)
POLICEMATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2